PDA

View Full Version : One that got away

GOPHER SLAYER
08-28-2009, 07:53 PM
I have a favor to ask of all you single shot rifle fans. Way back in what seems like a previous life I bought a Sharpes Borchordt that was made for the South Carolina Natl. Guard. It had the state symbol of the palmetto stamped on the side of the action. It was in excellent condition and I paid one twenty five for it. This would have been somtime in the mid 1960s. It shot very well but I noticed a little puff of smoke that would come out of the top of the action when it was fired. Being much younger and a good deal more stupid, I didn't realize the factory ammo was so under loaded that it probably wasn't expanding the case enough to seal the chamber. In a moment of irrational stupidity I sold it. Unfortunatly I didn't keep the serial #. I doubt I even noticed it. I know it is a reach but if any of you fine folks out there in the single shot shooting fraternaty have seen a rifle fitting the description I woud like to know it found a good and loving home. What is even more sad, nay tragic about this story is that this is only one of many fine guns that I have treated in the same cavalier manner. I hate to get started on all the Hi-Walls. I have pointed out to friends many times, in the 1950s and 60s guns were cheap, even though wages were low.There just weren't that many people interested in old guns. All they seem to care about was modern high velocity rifles and the latest mag pistol. I know that many out there who read this could relate equally sad stories but some how it doesn't help. I can only guess what that gun would sell for today, especially in South Corilina. One of my favorite states by the way. I love Charleston. It was a Sharpes Borchardt in 45-70. GRRRRRRRH

Harry Eales
08-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Gopher Slayer,

Your 45/70 Sharps Borchardt was one of 100 rifles bought by South Carolina in 1879. It may still be around, hopefully in the hands of a Sharps enthusiast.

The prices have changed considerably since you bought it, today an 1878 Borchardt Military rifle will run you around 2,500 bucks. I've seen some rubbishy Borchardts bring thse sort of prices recently.

Being one of the 'State' purchases and marked as such will lift it's value if you ever come across it again.

The Military Model Borchardt was the most numerous of all the variants produced, Sellars in his book Sharps Firearms states that 11,859 were made out of a total of some 22, 000 manufactured.

Good luck in your search, I hope you find it.

Harry

GOPHER SLAYER
08-31-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks Harry, I am surprised at the current prices being asked for some of the older guns, in particular those of the late 19th century. I feel like breaking into tears when I recall all the Colts, Winchesters, Stevens and Remingtons I have sold over the years and just how little I sold them for. Some find it hard to believe these guns were ever that cheap. I tell them to read one of the old Bannerman catalogs. An even more recent one would be the Hy Hunter catalogs of the late 1950s. Warning , it could make you ill. In fact I feel like the Sheriff of Rottingham when he found he was bound to Latrine for the rest of his life,[ I am glad to be alive but somehow incredibly depressed. ]

Harry Eales
09-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Hello Gopher,
I remember all to well the Hy-Hunter adverts in the gun magazines of the 1960's and just how cheap they were then.

Somewhere on my computer, or one of my older computers, I have a list of rifles being sold by James Severn, original Sharps rifles for as little as 10 bucks each. It makes you want to weep.
Please believe me when I say it was rough being an Englishman and a gun enthusiast in those days.

Harry

GOPHER SLAYER
09-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Hello Harry. I never met Jim Serven but I used to visit his gun shop the first Saterday of each month for the big parking lot sale. It was located in Santa Anna, Ca. It may still be there for all I know. A person could bring guns or related gere to the sale and for a very small fee secure a table and sell away. I never bothered to get a table, I simply walked around with the firearm until some showed an interest. I remember one sale that pains me to this day. I sold a mint condition Win. 1873 rifle in 44-40 cal.with the Wim. cleaning rod in the butt stock for a whopping 250 dollars. My wife was very upset that I had paid 125 for it the week before. I didn't make it into the sale area with it and someone bought it. Jim Severn would travel the country looking for guns.When he came to another town he would get a hotel room, put an add in the local paper offering to buy guns. He kept what he liked and sold the others at the Santa Anna Gun Room, that was the name of his gun shop. The laws in the Golden State were much more liberal in those days. The one place I wish every gun lover could have visited was the Golden State Arms co. on Green St. in Pasadena , Ca. That is the street just south of Colorado BL. which of course is the one seen on tv each New Years Day when the Rose Parade passes down it. Those people went to Europe in the 1950s and bought warehouses full of obsolete guns and uniforms. Luger pistols were 39.95, unless you wanted an artilliry model, they were 69.95. Americn civil war cav. sabres were 17.00. My wife was working Saterdays back then so I could drive up there and spend the day. It was like a fantasy land to a gun / military nut like myself. They offered all kind of old army gear for sale. Of course you remember the British uniform of the late 1870s. You could buy all of it there including red coats,white leather belt,ammo pouch and pith helmut. I even saw a Hungarian Hussars red tunic complete with gold frogs. I still occasionally see guns marked, Golden State Arms. The store was in an old three story mansion. What a way to spend a Saterday. I wish you could have visited the place just once.