PDA

View Full Version : Stuff you carry

Jim
08-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Assuming I'm not talking about hiking 10 miles into back country and not getting lost or snowed in, What do you carry in your pockets and/or pack when you go hunting? I've already got the rifle and cartridges on the list.

superior
08-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Fire making materials, compass, water, emergency blanket, multi-tool, mini binos, police whistle, side-arm, parachute cord

peter nap
08-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Heavy string ( rope), knife, Gun or bow, toilet paper, zippo lighter, firesteel, flashlight, camera, peanuts, Chew, if I'm going to be around other hunters, handgun. surveyors tape and compass for trailing, spare ammunition.

These are the basics and I add other items depending on when and where. For instance...

I do not carry a space blanket during bow season because it's warm....unless there's a chance of rain, then I take one inside several ziplock bags.

Jim
08-28-2009, 08:13 PM
That's kinda' what I wuz thinkin'. Jus' wanted to see if I'm on frequency.
Thanks, guys.

BoolitBill
08-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Peanut butter crackers to snack on. Of course it helps that I hunt on land that is next to a peanut drying plant. They dump rejects out in 12 foot high piles that the deer and feral hogs come and eat. So if the deer smell my crackers---well it's not really baiting them.

MT Gianni
08-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Leatherman or Gerber multi-plier, knife, water, granola bars, fire starter [lighter & matches or flint & steel], flashlight or headlamp, gallon zip lock baggie for the heart [liver stays for the coyotes], glove liners & wool hat depending on weather, compass, occasionally gps depending on where I am and rangefinder. I like fanny packs, will not go far into the woods without a backpack. I carry rope when Elk hunting, pepper in early or warm season, candy bars if it is cold enough to burn a lot of calories. If I am hunting out of a base camp I will carry dehydrated food and a good chemical tinder or big candle in case I am stuck on a mountain somewhere. If it is a day hunt I don't. I have spent the night out without a fire in 24" of snow and cold temps and don't want to do it again.

Glen
08-29-2009, 01:10 AM
2-3 sharp knives, a diamond steel, a little spare ammo, nylon cord, peanuts, jerky, a couple granola bars, water, a bandana, and an elastic Ace bandage (in case I twist an ankle or knee).

Suo Gan
08-29-2009, 01:19 AM
I like to keep it light when not travelling too far from the truck, and this entire set up weighs less than 9 pounds including a canteen. I carry an army style web belt, and have a small (10" diam) pack on as well as an army canteen and a Buck 110. In the pack I carry two 4" folding trapper knives (for a total of 4 blades), a piece of string for tying a tag on a critter and a pen for filling it out, a granola bar or two, MTM ammo wallet, a small orange canvas tarp (6x8 feet) for sitting on when its wet, and skinning a deer or bear that will be packed out, two 4 foot sections of nylon truckers rope (I use the canvas tarp to make a "bag" for a manageable size portion of a game animal, I tie it with the rope). Depending on how far I am from the vehicle I will either skin and quarter it on the mountain or drag it back to the truck. The orange tarp can be used in an emergency as a blanket and to warn others of my position.

I prefer to wear wool clothing in the field depending on the weather, as wool keeps you warm even if it is wet. Back at the truck I always have a change of clothes, after all it may not be pleasant to change in freezing rain, but it is better than driving home soaked and cold. A pair of sweat pants is worth a million dollars then.

Although I have not checked in with my congressman or even the president, this is what I will carry this fall. In time they will probably be coming for my trapper knives too...

With best regards, SG

Tim357
08-29-2009, 11:13 PM
extra ammo, two pocket knives minimum, a fixed blade Schrade Little Finger knife, whetstone, first aid kit with emphasis on stopping bleeding, canteen, jerky, granola type bars, plastic garbage bag big enough to cut a face hole in and use for rain protection, 50' of 550 cord, 20' of heavy 7/16" rope, kitchen matches in waterproof matchbox, lighter of some sort, candle stub, whistle, compass and topo map of area,pistol w/ extra ammo. Complete change of clothes in the truck, plus a 5 gallon jerry can of water.

GLynn41
08-30-2009, 12:37 AM
I am about like the others-- a camo net because I often move and hunt off the ground--if really cold I do change somethings(socks) in the woods or take off as needed

jameslovesjammie
08-30-2009, 03:30 PM
I carry most of the stuff above, but the best thing I have started carrying is a bottle of water. We mostly spot and stalk, and it it quite amazing how much water your body can go through in a short amount of time.

desteve811
09-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Well when im hunting i come home for lunch so i dont pack any food but water. So here's the list. extra ammo, knife, face mask, gloves, latex gloves (gutting) small knife sharpener, drag line, scent blocker spray (Primos) flashlight, tree seat (love this thing, rachet strap fold seat down and your good to go) a can of camp heat for those colder days, shooting sticks, thermocell, binoculer, and whatever calls i need for that animal im hunting. All this fits in a camo bookbag.

crabo
09-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Is that tree seat something you made or a catlogue item? How about a picture?

desteve811
09-06-2009, 11:29 PM
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv219/desteve811/DSCN1362.jpg
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv219/desteve811/DSCN1361.jpg
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv219/desteve811/DSCN1360.jpg

Paid $20 at Dicks Sporting Goods. Great investment!

jim4065
09-07-2009, 09:59 AM
That's a great looking tree seat. I can't quite make out who made it. No Dick's Sporting Goods around here, but I'll look for something like it on the Web. The only way that I differ from most folks is that the knees have gotten so bad that I usually stay within 50 yards of the Rhino. That being so - I carry everything but the kitchen sink.

krag35
09-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Depends on what and when, but Usually I'll have the following. Compass, 50'- 550 cord, Sharpening steel, Old Timer "trapper" knife, fixed blade knife,Matches, lighter, metal match, Toilet paper, Maybe a bota bag of water.

desteve811
09-07-2009, 11:14 AM
That's a great looking tree seat. I can't quite make out who made it. No Dick's Sporting Goods around here, but I'll look for something like it on the Web. The only way that I differ from most folks is that the knees have gotten so bad that I usually stay within 50 yards of the Rhino. That being so - I carry everything but the kitchen sink.

Made by Big Game Treestands. I find it very useful cause i mainly hunt from the ground.

Ivantherussian03
09-07-2009, 11:48 AM
I carry a gps, or compass, and a poncho. I also have flint & steel, along with matches. Sometimes I forget the digital camera. I also carry various game calls depending on what I am hunting. I also carry a lawn chair, coffee thermos, and a meal, especially in cold weather. One bag holds various knifes, and diamond stone. I will carry two binocs, if I am hunting with a buddy. In the fall I also have a float coat too, as we travel by boat here. Alot of this stuff fits in a Filson hunting vest. The last thing is a handheld VHF., and most important.

Boz330
09-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Depends on what type of hunting you are doing. When I guided in NM I found that fanny packs were very hard on my back. I went to a Crooked Horn Outfitters back back and it seemed that I could get everything including the kitchen sink in it and it was comfortable. We always drove into the hunting areas so we were only walking distance from the truck but you didn't know what situations might occur.
Toilet paper is a must. The thing I didn't notice was a folding saw, other than that every other possibility has been covered. Where I deer hunt I am never more than a mile or so from camp so I don't carry much, just what I need to gut and drag if I can't get the truck to it. In NM I carried enough to spend a comfortable night in the wilds for me and my hunter if it was necessary. MREs or LRPs for food and plenty of water. The weather that time of year where we hunted wasn't bad so you could spend a reasonable night on the ground if necessary. I never had to do it though.
Of course horseback or even ATVs way out in the boonies would require something different.

Bob

waksupi
09-07-2009, 03:24 PM
For using fanny packs, I found if I attach some good heavy duty logger suspenders, the pack carries easier during the day, and isn't trying to slide down all the time.

Boz330
09-07-2009, 05:15 PM
For using fanny packs, I found if I attach some good heavy duty logger suspenders, the pack carries easier during the day, and isn't trying to slide down all the time.

The combat packs they gave us in the Army were like that. The first day or two with a fanny pack I would be going through it seeing what I could do with out and my back would still be sore. The Crooked Horn pack solved all that and I could carry what I liked. I think getting it up higher on the shoulders helped. It was also cut ergonomically and had a waist belt and a chest strap that held everything in place. The only bad thing I can say about it is I didn't take it off much and my back would sweat but that was a minor issue compared to the comfort.
It was taylor made for a guide. It had a compartment for a spotting scope and tripod built right into the center of the pack.

Bob

MT Gianni
09-07-2009, 06:42 PM

Go to a police supply store and get belt keepers for a Sam Browne belt. They work wonders.

MT Gianni
09-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Boz, re a floding saw: I have split the brisket of an elk with the saw blade on a leatherman at least twice. If you need a fire 4" is plenty to saw with.

Boz330
09-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Boz, re a floding saw: I have split the brisket of an elk with the saw blade on a leatherman at least twice. If you need a fire 4" is plenty to saw with.

The Leatherman that I have doesn't have a saw, early model. Besides use on game it also came in handy for numerous improvised ground blinds on dirt tanks that showed promise.
Where I deer hunt now we use a lot of stands and it is handy for trimming branches in the wrong places.

Bob

trickyasafox
09-08-2009, 02:15 PM
where I hunt your never more than a half mile from the vehicle, so you can get away without having much on you.

I carry:
A good, bright flashlight + spare batteries
gloves (for gutting)
sharp knife
Drag rope
cell phone
small lighter
small pad and pen (always carry this)
a few feet of duct tap and 10 ft of 550 cord with the pad, a safety pin or two
small first aid kit
head lamp.

I take a keychain light and glue it to a binder clip and put it on my hat. My dad came up with it. enough light to easily see the path in front of you and great battery life. Total cost is less than 60 cents.

Handgun+ammo this past year I hunted gun season with a handgun and loved it. Outside of archery and bp season, I'll be using a handgun exclusively now so that really makes the things I carry lighter and easier to manage.

If I'm walking a lot on a drive, I'll switch the encore out for a different handgun, but thats about it. Everything else fits in my pockets. The only reason I carry a small fanny pack is for snacks and drink.

stubshaft
09-10-2009, 01:53 AM
Toilet paper
Knife
Water
Gerber Hatchet
Matches
Compass

Two401Pm
09-12-2009, 11:45 AM
most of the above things, a candle lantern from cabela's a couple MRE's, Jerky, and a flint and steel with some dry tender.. That is when I'm hunting in remote areas of the western mtn's. All of this is carried in a large Alice backpack with frame.. Be a boy scout, Be prepared for anything....

NoDakJak
10-01-2009, 09:23 AM
When I hunted the desert country of California, Nevada and Arizona on foot the most important thing was water, more water and even more water. I carried a minimum of two GI Canteens when hunting close to the vehicle and at least four when hunting farther away. I hunted many days in 110 degree heat and water consevervation was essential. Every thing else was nice but not essential. My hunting now is 180 degrees opposite. I seldom carry a canteen but you better belive that I carry winter survival gear and have to use it on several occassions. Neil

rickster
10-03-2009, 03:26 PM
I am generally hiking on my own property, with no chance of getting lost. So here is my list.

In a fishing vest
Ear plugs
Reading glasses
Shoestring
LED Flashlight
Small camera
Small binoculars
Waterbottle (food and water go in back pouch)
Snacks
Electrical tape
Papertowels
Garbage bag
Leatherman

In cargo pants pockets
Cell phone
Knifes
Wallet
Extra ammo
Small revolver (sometimes)

rickster