PDA

View Full Version : Tap size ?

jack19512
08-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Does anyone know what size tap I need for the front bead on a shotgun barrel? I realize there may be more than one size. It is for a Charles Daley 20 ga. pump.

Storydude
08-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Either 3-56 or 6-48 or 8X40 or 3MX0.5 or 2.5MX0.5 or.....

Even through the same maker I've seen different bead sizes and therefore different tap sizes. If you have the old bead, attempt to measure it.

FYI, the 3-56 and 6-48 are gunsmith only taps. no chance to find them at Homey Depot.

deltaenterprizes
08-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Same gun with bulged barrel?

jack19512
08-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Same gun with bulged barrel?

Yes, The bulge was about 3 inches from the end of the barrel so I cut the barrel back enough to eliminate the bulge. I did a good job and all I have left to do is install the front bead.

I didn't pay that much for the gun new and I can't see paying over $100.00 for another barrel. I would just as soon put that money towards another shotgun. This was my go to squirrel gun and I'm curious what kind of pattern I will get with it now. :-D

jack19512
08-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Either 3-56 or 6-48 or 8X40 or 3MX0.5 or 2.5MX0.5 or.....

Later this evening I called Charles Daley and the gentleman told me that it was a M3X.5, now to find one. I checked Midway USA and the only one I could find was in a tap set. I hate to buy a set just to get one tap.

Storydude
08-28-2009, 10:53 PM
At this point, I"d drop the 6 bucks on whatever bead you want..;)

Hardcast416taylor
08-29-2009, 02:39 AM
If you cut the barrel back 3" I would guess and say you will have cylinder bore patterns. You can get the barrel threaded for insert chokes.Robert

pietro
08-29-2009, 03:15 AM
FYI - WallyWorld carries the Hi-Viz FO front bead, in a red or green kit with four different sized mounting studs.

http://www.hivizsights.com/Assets/images/products/BD1008_large.jpg

Since the barrel's cut back, I'd simply drill a small hole slightly oversize for whatever bead I wanted to mount and epoxy it in the unthreaded hole.

cajun shooter
08-29-2009, 07:45 AM
A cheap fix is go online and find the Brownells site. With the bbl cut back you don't have to use what came on the gun but anything you want. They have plenty of sights that could be put on with JB Weld if you don't want to tap and drill. The gun is no longer original so why beat your brains out trying to use the same tap. Most choke jobs will run the same price as a new bbl except that they can be changed for different things. I hope your trees are not real tall if you plan on squirrel hunting as you now have a bbl choke. You can help some if you reload your own shells as the wad you use will make a big difference in your downrange pattern.

jack19512
08-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. It really isn't that important to me how the front bead goes back on or even which bead, just as long as it stays on. I guess I wanted to use the proper tap and do the job right.

Also I thought I could buy the proper tap about as cheap as doing anything else. And you never know when I might have to do this again so I would have this tap if needed.

This shotgun is a Charles Daley, not costly or an heirloom so I don't want to invest much money into it. I have since purchased me another new 20 ga. with a full choke for use as my squirrel gun. I hope to take both out tomorrow and compare them to see how the CD will pattern.

Rockydog
08-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Jack, This might be the way to go. RD

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=338/Product/SHOTGUN_SIGHT_CONVENIENCE_KITS

Big Dave
08-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Good source for anything to do with metal working is Travers Tool Co. Taps, Dies, Drills, Reamers, etc

jack19512
08-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Well, I can't believe it but I had the tap I needed. Quite a few years ago I purchased a 23 piece Craftsman tap and die set and had put it up and the last couple days I have looked for it but couldn't find it.

I thought that even if I did find it I was pretty sure with my luck being what it is the tap I needed wouldn't be in the set. Finally tonight I found the set and I can't believe the tap I needed was in there.

Now the front bead is installed and looks like it did when it came from the factory. This time I put the tap and die set somewhere where I won't lose it again. You know how that goes though. :smile:

Big Dave
08-30-2009, 02:07 PM
All The Time!!!!!
I remember putting that where I would know right where to find it, just can't remember where that was.

uncowboy
09-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Now I am going to give you a bit of info that might make your gun a favoriate again, When you cut the choke out of a 20GA BBL you get one sweet shooting smoth bore slug gun. I have bought Rem slug sights and installed them on two different 20Ga cut downs because they shoot the hollow base rem slugs like a target rifle. We have killed MANY deer with these cut down guns with Brenegey (SP slugs. If you don't like the pattern try glueing on a ADJ rear sight from a Traditions inline Muzzleloader Made of [lastic and just like the Remingtons they can be had as a set for $11.00 and JB Weld holds them on just fine. I cut down a single shot H&R and lightened it for backpack use. It could center a can at 50Yds all day long. My friend kept it for the farm truck and has killed a lot of deer with it. I put fiber optic sights on it for him. TRY SLUGS!!! J.Michael

bigdog454
09-09-2009, 01:13 PM
had an old single shot 20ga that I cut the choke off and JB'd rifle sights on for my kids when they started deer hunting, it (they) brought home a lot of meat with that gun. If you use JB make sure that you use sand paper on the area your going to put the sight on with first, I had the sights come loose the first time, and looking at the sight it had the "bluing" still JB'd to it.