PDA

View Full Version : Restroring an old family friend... 98 Krag

O.S.O.K.
08-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Thought I'd share this post with ya'll. I did this back in mid-July.

Some time ago, my Dad gave me a nice 1898 Krag rifle that had been given to him as a young man by his Uncle. It's a very nice rifle and the bore is vg - and it shoots very well! The only downer was that the Uncle had "sportered" the stock which was very common at the time of course. This was a simple stock shortening job - cut the forestock off and discard along with the front barrel band. This has always bugged me and I've been wanting to right this "wrong" about as long as I've owned the rifle. I did find correct replacement stocks for sale but they were going for $400 - $600 and I just couldn't bring myself to pay that. So, I kept looking hoping to find parts or an old stock that I could use as a "doner" to replace the lost wood. Well a few weeks ago, while perusing gunbroker I found that there were a bunch of parts listed in for the 1898 Krag! I found the front band and then found a replacement forestock - dimensioned to slip under the rear band - perfect!

Well I finally started working on this a couple of days ago and have reached completion of the fitting and assembly.

I forgot to shoot a pic immediately before starting... but here's the rifle right after I removed the rear barrel band and cut the stub of the original stock (you can see the stub sitting on the bench):
http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/HPIM2213.JPG

As you can see, I drilled three holes in the buttstock end to match the holes in the replacement piece - I found that a section of 45/70 brass worked perfect for the large hole as a reinforcement and a couple of cut nails worked for the smaller ones.
http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/HPIM2212.JPG
http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/HPIM2210.JPG

I also forgot to shoot a pic of the replacement wood "in the raw" the wood is black walnut which is the perfect match for the original stock - I used Pilkington's English Red spirit stain (available from Brownells) which when wet, is a very close match to the original color of the stock - but when it dries, the red fades and it goes brown... I tried several applications attempting to get the red to stay but it just wasn't to be...
http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/HPIM2211.JPG

Everything fit well though and the boiled linseed oil is working well but I do need to apply several more coats to get it to shine.
http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/HPIM2216.JPG
http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/HPIM2217.JPG

The replacement wood just doesn't have the same "sheen" as the original - I think I need to compress the grain some and keep applying the BLO until it builds to a shine...
http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/HPIM2215.JPG

Overall though, I am very pleased. It all fit together well and I was able to drill the cross screw and pin holes correctly and accurately. In holding the now whole rifle, in retrospect, its kind of a mystery as to what people were thinking by chopping these up - they didn't look as nice and the weight "gain" was almost undetectible... but then, those were different times.

Update - I decided to try some treewax polish on the stock - that worked very well and produced the sheen that I was after. Probably a few more coats will make it even better. This has carnuba wax in it which is what makes it shine after just one application and buff.

Bob S
08-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Well done! It always warms my heart when these old birds are restored to their original glory.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

Shiloh
08-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Nice job!!

Very doable if the stock is not bubba'd to bad. Enough work and it'll match close enough that only a close inspection will reveal the difference. The red color may never be the same, but an even sheen can be obtained. Did you epoxy the front splice on??

Well Done.

SHiloh

O.S.O.K.
08-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks.

The splice got some epoxy bedding compound applied yes.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Sweet!!! I love it.

Regards,

Dave

Three44s
08-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Good job and saving bucks along the way!!!

Three 44s

SierraWhiskeyMC
08-29-2009, 01:41 AM
Nice job!

My Dad had a nice .30-40 Krag that he'd had forever, but the barrel was kind of rough. I was hoping that I'd get a chance to restore it when he was through with it.

Sadly, he GAVE IT AWAY to a friend about 5 years ago. I was stunned.

He'd started sporterizing a Remington M1903A3, too - had a barrel turned down "in the white", modified the bolt handle - but I convinced him to stop the process several years ago. I now have it, and a vintage '43 barrel to re-barrel it with. When I get time, I'll see about getting the bolt handle replaced.

missionary5155
08-29-2009, 02:41 AM
Good morning
KRAGS !!! Bought another yesterday that has an origonal Redfield "no drill" reciever sight on it. The rest of this 98 vintage has been well chopped but a very nice little tool to carry about and maybe terminate a few ground hogs or coyotes.

O.S.O.K.
08-29-2009, 11:14 AM
There are a plethora of sportered krags for sale on the auction boards. I've thought of getting one of those too. They run from reasonable to rediculous prices though.

I know that a common way to "fix" bad barrels was to have them bored to 35 caliber and rechambered to the "wildcat" 35 krag. The ballistics of the 35 Krag are similar to the 356 Winchester. 250 grain boolit at 2100 fps for example.

Mark Daiute
09-15-2009, 02:30 PM
My dad gave away/sold his Krag. Nice, unbubb'ad rifle. What ever happened to it remains a mystery to me so I did like you, got a bubb'ad Krag from a friend in a trade and the restored it. I spend more time with it than any of my other rifles.

Good job and thanks for sharing,

mark

KCSO
09-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Here is my latest Krag sporter. I have had a number of Krags over the years from full military rifles and carbines to sporters and i have one Krag by Sedgley in the 30's. The current project gun was an action fitted with a Spriongfield barrel with 308 groove. The bolt has been lapped in for full contact on the safety lug. The stock is an old Fajen with a Bishop buttplate. The front sight is a springfield base with an old Marbles bead and the rear sight is a Williams. The scope is on an old Weaver side mount and the scope itself is a Weaver 2.5 post and cross hair. This rifle will shoot my 220 grain hunting load under 2" all day long at 100 yards and is sighted 3" high at 100 for a dead on at 200 hold. The sling is in old Williams swivles and is a standard military sling. The Krag is in my opinion one of if not THE best cast bullet rifles.

The Virginian
09-18-2009, 12:50 AM
Too bad it was sporterized and is too far gone to save like the good fellow from Texas was able to do.

O.S.O.K.
10-17-2009, 03:25 PM
KCSO, that's a very nice sporter! Very nice.

And Virginian - I'll strive to live up to your description :drinks:

I have yet to get this rifle out to the range - need to rectify that soon...

StarMetal
10-17-2009, 03:37 PM
O.S.O.K.,

Very nice job indeed fellow!! :drinks:

Joe

The Virginian
10-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Sometimes when they are severly sporterized as the one in Nebraska had been done, it may be better to leave it as restoring it can be extremely costly. I know because I keep finding revolvers like Colt 1909s, 1917s, .455 New Services, S&W .455s, 1917s and Webleys that have been molested into a conversion that isn't right or they are missing parts or are almost rusted to poor condition. I like to restore these lost cases even if there is no monetary gain to be had.

Char-Gar
10-18-2009, 09:29 AM
My name is Charles and I am a Krag addict!

I started in 1960 with rifle that had it's barrel shortened to 22 inches, an 03 front band and sight and an old Pacific rear sight. I paid $15.00 for it and killed my first deer with it. I still have it and it shoots cast very well.

My second Krag is a slicker sporterized rifle. It has a 24" bbl, a Lyman 48 rear sight and the stock has been slimmed overall and reblued. Looks nice and shoots just as nice.

The height is my folly is in the vise now. It is a 1901 action that I had rebarreled with a new two groove 03A3 barrel. I kept the original barrel band and have a Redfield Sourdough blade to go into it. The rear is a NIB Redfield no drill. The stock is a plain grade American walnut with Neider buttplate and grip cap. The bolt has been lapped with the safety lug in full contact with the receiver. I installed a third action screw into the front receiver ring. I hand polished all of the machine marks off the barrel and glass bedded the metal into the wood last week. What remains is the shaping and finishing of the wood and the polishing and blueing of the metal.

Take warning dear friend! Take warning dear Brother! Get one of them Krags and you must get a thuther!

Uncle R.
10-18-2009, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=O.S.O.K.;650284]There are a plethora of sportered krags for sale on the auction boards. I've thought of getting one of those too. They run from reasonable to rediculous prices though.
QUOTE]
<
I've never been a "Krag" guy - I just don't get it. I have a good friend who loves 'em but I could never see why. Rube Goldberg magazines, Rube Goldberg actions. Yes they're slick but none too strong or safe. What do Krags have that early Mausers don't exceed? I know that everyone's tastes are different and I'm not being critical (Honest!) but I never did get it.
<
Still - from idle curiosity I followed O.S.O.K.'s lead and looked on Gunbroker. Lawd - so many Bubba'd Krags! And I have to admit that seeing some of those pictures dangnere brought me to tears. Those once-proud military rifles, those needlessly complex and strangely designed shining examples of American workmanship - hacked up with dull saws and coarse files and covered in Bubba tracks. It really IS sad.
I can almost see how a man would be moved to restore 'em. In fact - I can almost see MYSELF keeping an eye open for a Bubba'd Krag with a nice bore just to try with some 311284s. If I don't quit hanging around this site you guys are gonna just RUIN me...
<GRIN>
Uncle R.

O.S.O.K.
10-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Sounds like it may be too late Uncle.... ;)

StarMetal
10-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Don't look at what can exceed a Krag. The lure of the Krag are for one it's a classic. It's an unusual design too. They do have a silky smooth action. They are very accurate rifles and the 30-40 is a great round. Plenty enough for all North America hunting and it's a super cast cartridge too. They may be long in the rifle form but they aren't as heavy as comparable length other manufacture rifles and balance very nicely. That is the lure of the Krag for me.

Joe

PeteG
10-20-2009, 10:46 PM
[QUOTE=O.S.O.K.;650284]There are a plethora of sportered krags for sale on the auction boards. I've thought of getting one of those too. They run from reasonable to rediculous prices though.
QUOTE]

I can almost see how a man would be moved to restore 'em. In fact - I can almost see MYSELF keeping an eye open for a Bubba'd Krag with a nice bore just to try with some 311284s. If I don't quit hanging around this site you guys are gonna just RUIN me...
<GRIN>
Uncle R.

I will buy only Krags that are on thier last legs; all chopped up, pieces gone, even bulges in the barrels. I like the challenge of making them handy and look good. It relieves my stress ... sort of. :(

If I knew how to upload pictures here, I would post a couple. But I can't.
:brokenima

I suppose I shold be grateful to be able to post words.:???:

Buckshot
10-21-2009, 01:25 AM
...................I have a Krag that was "Spor-ster-ized oncet:-)" similar to yours.

http://www.fototime.com/93A0FC305FC889C/standard.jpg

Obviously most were done like this since the front band holds the front end into the stock! I bought a piece of completion wood from IIRC Gunstocks.com and it was pitifull. I spent some time looking around for something better and finally bought a stock and handguard from Boyds.

http://www.fototime.com/D0D7166B1E9D8B1/standard.jpg

Mine had the Redfield no drill rear sight also. Makes it a pain to take the bolt out though. It's been quite awhile now since they stopped having the big Los Angeles gun show, but that's where I found all the metal needed to put it back the way it's supposed to be. There was a guy there with a table dedicated to the Krags and it was ALL just parts. Boxes and boxes from stripped receivers to front sights.

I've had all this stuff just sitting around for some number of years now and I suspect I may die before I ever get it started!

..............Buckshot