PDA

View Full Version : Boolit lube?

plumber
08-28-2009, 08:12 AM
I'm thinking of picking up a star sizer, I currently using a Lyman 450 with Orange Magic. I pretty happy with it, but am wondering about using it in a Star? I need a low smoke lube that doesn't melt off the boolits. Any sugestions?

Firebricker
08-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Carnuba red from lars click on Lar45s Ls stuff at bottom of the page. FB

plumber
08-28-2009, 08:37 AM
I'm sure glad I stumbled on this site. I never knew there were so many people making and selling products like this. I also found the gentleman who makes the star dies. I'd much rather spend my money with a shooter, than give it to A company like Lyman. I also try to support the local guy, but here in New England there aren't to many local guys, and no one carries reloading stuff. But I think I'm going to try that carnuba red, it sounds like what I'm looking for. I shoot inside with a bunch of whiners so the smoke is an issue. I store my boolits in a warm environment and I've had my lube melt off until I switched to Orange Magic.
Thanks for the info.

cajun shooter
08-28-2009, 08:49 AM
You will not have that problem with Carnuba Red but to run it you will need a heater. You don't say what part of the East you are in but I know for a fact they have a bunch of Cowboy shooters in that area. I have friends in NH and I think that is in the East. BAC is another lube that White label makes and you don't need a heater. If shooting indoors try some Clays for you loads.

Dale53
08-28-2009, 09:11 AM
I have had excellent results with Carnauba Red. I mostly shoot center fire revolvers these days and while Carnauba Red is highly touted for high velocity loads (and should be) I want to assure anyone interested in this lube to understand it works extremely well for target loads in .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, and .45 ACP and Auto Rim.

It DOES require a heater (I use the Lyman Flat Heater under my Star Sizer - the heater is drilled to support Lyman, RCBS, AND the Star Luber/Sizer. I found that it gets a bit TOO hot and prefer to use a Rheostat with mine. I am using a Dremel speed control for that purpose but it is inexpensive and practical to put a ceiling light rheostat in a small electrical box. You can put this together for under $10.00 (get a square plastic electrical box, install a double outlet and the light control - wire it up to plug in the heater into the box and have a short cord going to your wall outlet and control the voltage with the light control. This will do a perfect job for you. The Lyman heater doesn't draw much current and will not exceed the limits of the light control.

Two things seem to control the smoke of cast bullet loads. The powder choice AND the lubricant. Carnauba Red seems to be considerably less smoky than NRA 50/50, as an example. Clays is an excellent target powder - burns clean and reduces smoke (compared to Bullseye or Unique, for example) as the other poster suggested. The only downside to Clays is that it takes so little room in the case that you REALLY have to watch to avoid a double charge. Clays is NOT a powder I would choose to "hotrod". Just use the data that Hodgdon provides on their web site or in their reloading manuals.

Dale53

plumber
08-28-2009, 09:15 AM
I now live in this libtard hell hole known as Rhode Island. Might be better known as the most corrupt state in the union with the highest tax burden. New Hampshire is about an hour and a half north, live free or die! I was planning on using my Lyman heater on the star. Is the carnuba red my best bet for keeping the smoke down?
As for powders I use W231 and 2400 for the most part, and get very little if any smoke when using jacked bullets. Bullseye and Unique, well i've got less smoke from pyrodex!

Rockchucker
08-28-2009, 09:30 AM
I use the Carnauba Red lube down here in the south in my outdoor shop. It gets pretty warm in there during the day when the doors are shut, and the red lube requires no heat at all. When the temps drop down into the 70's at night I turn the heater on for about 5 minutes and the Carnauba red flows great. I'm also using unique powder and get noticeable smoke while indoors shooting, outdoors it's not a problem.

GLynn41
08-28-2009, 09:43 AM
It seems the smoke issue is not just the lube(duh)--I like 800X but it will smoke--high graphite? anyway personally having used Orange Magic-- I prefer the CR- and I also will try to buy from our guys --like buckshot for a hollow point- or Lars-- or NOE

fredj338
08-28-2009, 10:10 AM
I now live in this libtard hell hole known as Rhode Island. Might be better known as the most corrupt state in the union with the highest tax burden. New Hampshire is about an hour and a half north, live free or die! I was planning on using my Lyman heater on the star. Is the carnuba red my best bet for keeping the smoke down?
As for powders I use W231 and 2400 for the most part, and get very little if any smoke when using jacked bullets. Bullseye and Unique, well i've got less smoke from pyrodex!

Well I certainly feel your pain as far as living in a mismanaged, high tax, anyti gun state. Shooting indoors is about the only way to shoot in LA/Orange counties here. I had stumbled onto Lars & now it's the only lube I'll use. Inexpensive & just flat works. I also like the Carnuba, does need a little bit of heat, but not much. The BAC is also good, no heat needed but does smoke a tiny bit more than Car. Powders do matter. You didn't say what caliber or vel levels, but WST is a very clean, low smoke powder, my fav. in 45acp.

cabezaverde
08-28-2009, 10:23 AM

HA - give NY a try.

plumber
08-28-2009, 10:26 AM
NY? No thanks!
Hell, I guess it could be worse, I could be 5 miles east in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts!

GLynn41
08-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Carnuba and 2400 -- good grip and bullet grip they are two different things---- right primer and you should be good to go as much as you can

RayinNH
08-28-2009, 11:05 PM
If your only five miles away, that is too close for comfort. Even NH is going down fast. They're moving here to get away from the high taxes at home ,then want all the services they left :roll:

Seeing that you started the thread, I guess I'm not hijacking it...Ray