View Full Version : bullet sizeing dies Lyman vs. RCBS

jerry p.
08-27-2009, 09:18 PM
I was wondering why RCBS's bullet sizeing dies are $10 more than the Lyman ones. Are they really worth the extra money? Both will work in my press.
Thanks - Jerry P.

beagle
08-27-2009, 09:26 PM
MHO......

I have always found the RCBS dies closer to the stamped diameter than the Lyman dies.

On the other hand, I have had less trouble with the Lyman dies overall. That's tapered entrance, etc.

If you can get a Lyman die that's close to what it's stamped, they're better IMO. The only way you can tell is to get one and size with it and measure with a mike.

Order up Lyman dies and if they're not up to snuff, send them back for replacement.

With a Sunnen grinder used to make sizing dies, they should be able to hold +/-.0003 tolerance according to my machinist. Anything outside of that is sloppy work./beagle

Firebricker
08-28-2009, 07:11 AM
Welcome to the board Jerry. Ive use both in my 4500 and can't really tell a big differance but Lymans quality has been slipping lately. I would go through one of the board members here to have any future dies made. Better price and quality IMHO. FB

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-28-2009, 07:25 AM
Welcome to the board Jerry. Ive use both in my 4500 and can't really tell a big differance but Lymans quality has been slipping lately. I would go through one of the board members here to have any future dies made. Better price and quality IMHO. FB

Who all on the board is making sizer dies for the RCBS/Lyman lube sizers?

Regards,

Dave

cabezaverde
08-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Buckshot made me a custom one in .433. Nice piece of work.

RayinNH
08-28-2009, 11:02 AM
I have also used Buckshot before. Good work. There may be others here that I don't know about...Ray

08-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Last night, when lubing and sizing some .44 gas checked boolits, using my lone RCBS die, the boolit would hit an area that would cause the ram to stick on its way up, almost as if the boolit/gas check was coming in contact with a ridge or ledge. Just one more casting, lubing/sizing, reloading hitch that needs to be investigated and fixed.

Buckshot
08-29-2009, 01:06 AM
Last night, when lubing and sizing some .44 gas checked boolits, using my lone RCBS die, the boolit would hit an area that would cause the ram to stick on its way up, almost as if the boolit/gas check was coming in contact with a ridge or ledge. Just one more casting, lubing/sizing, reloading hitch that needs to be investigated and fixed.

I don't know if RCBS still makes their dies like this, but the ones I've seen have a single ring of 4 holes around the circumfrence. On the inside they have cut a groove around the inside of the die to distribute the lube 360 degrees. In your case, if the pin had excess clearence it might tip or be pressed more against one side and hit the upper edge of the groove?

Seems if there was this much clearence it would leak lube, but maybe not? The only real problem I can see with it is if you were 'bumping up' some slugs, as I have before. The boolit can upset a bit into the groove and then get shaved as it's ejected.

So far as price, RCBS has always seemed to be a bit pricier on stuff then others. It may be the price we pay for thier outstanding warranty? I do know that when Lee introduced their carbide dies it forced RCBS to reduce the prices they were chargeing for theirs.

.................Buckshot