PDA

View Full Version : Mold Laping Help Needed!!!

steveb
04-08-2006, 12:44 AM
Hi fellas, I have a Lee 429-200-RF six banger. I slugged the bore on my Rossi 92 and its .432 I need this mold .432 also but dont feel comfortable doing it myself. Would anyone here be interested in doing this for me and how much would it cost to have done???. Or could anyone give any info on someone that does this kind of work. I got in on the Ranch Dog TLC-432-285-RF group buy and that should take care of my severe leading issues.But the Lee429-200-RF is is a plain base bullet and ive also wondered about using some sort of wad or glueing a gascheck on backwards to seal the bore. Im new at casting my own and ANY suggestions on getting this mold to work for me or about using a wad or something simular to fix my leading woes would sure be appreciated.Thanks in advance.....Steve.

Dale53
04-08-2006, 02:08 AM
Steveb;
Here is what you need:

http://ktsammo.250x.com/castboolits/cst3.html

Good luck!

Dale53

Bucks Owin
04-08-2006, 11:39 AM
As I understand the article, the method is to shim the blocks apart slightly? Wouldn't that make boolits "out of round" and unbalanced? (Or does sizing take care of that?)

Would it be better to make a "spud" with a bullet, coat it with valve lapping compound and spin the bullet in the mold?

Just curious, I've never done this.

Dennis

Dale53
04-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Dennis;
I have never done this but several here report excellent results up to .002" or .003" larger. Actually, when you think about this it makes perfect sense.

Neat thing about it, you are doing NOTHING to the original mould and if it doesn't work, you have not lost a thing. Now, It is your DUTY to report your findings back after a serious test. That is how we ALL learn.

Dale53

slughammer
04-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Would it be better to make a "spud" with a bullet, coat it with valve lapping compound and spin the bullet in the mold?

If you are going to use lapping compound in a mold cavity you need to imbed it into the boolit and take off the excess. Otherwise the the compound really strives to hold the block apart and the lapping then makes the cavity out of round.

Oldefeller describes the process very well in his post 7mm-08 in the Special Projects forum.

beagle
04-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Dennis...the nice thing about the tape process is that you don't ruin a mould. With lapping, it's a crap shoot as to the outcome. This is the "beagling" process that Orygun Mark and I started using about 4 years ago. Mark picked it up and wrote that aricle last year.

Yes, they'll be slightly oblong but by using the tape, any unbalance will be equally divided on both sides and the bullets shoot well. The sizing process makes the enlarged bullet round but it doesn't affect the body of the bullet. IT will still be slightly oblong.

Normally, you can easily pick up .002" and in a worst cases, .004" before they start growing "wings"./beagle

As I understand the article, the method is to shim the blocks apart slightly? Wouldn't that make boolits "out of round" and unbalanced? (Or does sizing take care of that?)

Just curious, I've never done this.

Dennis

lovedogs
04-08-2006, 11:16 PM
In a conversation with a fella back at Saeco some months ago he told me that their machinist has a way of doing this with their moulds. I wonder if you called Lee if they can do that also. Some of these manufacturers are willing to keep their customers happy.

Bucks Owin
04-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Maybe when sizing, the bullet metal displaces to where it's "needed" even if the bullet is slightly out of round?

Dennis

On second thought, duh! That can't work!

Anyway, "beagling" sounds pretty interesting and I'll be giving it a try!

Thanks

steveb
04-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Beagle, I see your over there in the great commonwealth. I got a sister-in-law not to far from you over in Georgetown. Thanks for the info, and you to Dale for turning me on to the link. Forgive me here im new to all this but if the bullet was oblong would that alow gas cutting on the other sides of the bullet??

Doughty
04-11-2006, 04:24 AM
steveb,

What diameter is your mould casting at now? If your groove diameter is .432, you may need to go to a larger diameter such as .434 or perhaps even larger. I don't know what measuring equipment you have access to. Would it be possible to measure the inside diameter of a case that has been fired in your rifle with a full power load?