PDA

View Full Version : Kroil ?????

Muskrat Mike
08-27-2009, 08:05 PM
I keep seeing people talking about using Kroil on their moulds and I have started to see if it helps. I'm not sure if it helps or not. I used a Q-tip to put a small amount in the cavities of several moulds and it didn't seem to hurt at all but I'm not sure it helped. Could it be used to coat the mould when you are done to protect from rust? What's the proper way to use Kroil??:???:

cajun shooter
08-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Not trying to be a smart alec here Mike but the can pretty much covers all it's uses. If you are a tool person who does handy man type things you will find plenty to use it on. It is one fine bore cleaner for your guns. If you shoot lead(Why else would you be here) then use it the next time. It is also good to put in dirty bores to soak. Later David

08-27-2009, 08:28 PM
I never heard of using Kroil until a few weeks ago. I like it now. Less is more, as they say. i've used it to rub the mould section of the mould and I have to say it works as good for me as the Rapine mould prep. Would be a good preservative, I guess.

Navahojoe
08-27-2009, 09:01 PM
I have a can of Kroil that I p[urchased from "Midway" a few years back. Works fine for gun cleaning, haven't tried it on my molds, yet. Really haven't had a reason to use on my molds.
Good stuff!
regards,
NavahoJoe

08-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Look in the stickies.

Too, there have been any number of threads about its use in moulds. It works for me.

tommyn
08-27-2009, 09:50 PM
I use Marvel Mystery oil instead of Kroil in cleaning barrels and such and don't see any difference.

kelbro
08-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Kroil ranks very low as a rust preventative in several tests that I have read.

It is a very good penetrating oil. Works great as a cleaning step for getting under lead and carbon fouling. No bench should be without a can.

snaggdit
08-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Yep, read through the sticky on the top of the main cast boolits page to see what some have said it does in regards to helping in their molds. You will see I have not been enthusiastic as of yet but last time I casted, I did heat up several molds and apply it to the cavs and left them to cool down. I am hoping the next time it will cause an improvement it sticky boolits dropping.

largecaliberman
08-28-2009, 08:41 PM
I used kerosene to rid my barrel of lead then patching it down with BreakFree. I bought a quart of kerosene about 2 years and I probably cleaned "one-hundred" guns----ie guns that have been cleaned several times over the years. I now have probably a cup left. Kerosene is far most cheaper. It is a thinner fluid and seeps between the lead slivers and barrel.

GP100man
08-28-2009, 09:07 PM
i try to get my molds to drop easy ,i don`t like puttin nuttin in the cavity, not even smokin em.
as far as kroil goes i have never used it on guns but i have on lathe & tappin ,die work.

i`m an eds red man!! the last i mixed was $12.00 a gal.

Muskrat Mike
08-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Look in the stickies.

Too, there have been any number of threads about its use in moulds. It works for me.

Thanks everybody for all the ansewers! The stickies really covered it well!

shotman
08-29-2009, 03:12 AM
To answer first question It will not prevent rust. You dont want the mold wet. I found that wipe cavity with a Qtip and cast . About 25 drops wipe again. When done dampen mold and let cool. You should not have to do anything next time you use mold
Also another note. Q tips Make sure you dont use the cheap ones that have the plastic stick. It will melt and make a big mess.