PDA

View Full Version : Fun with a 41

DanWalker
08-27-2009, 04:37 PM
A few weeks ago, I picked up a 414 supermag Contender barrel from my friend Ken, AKA, THE ENABLER.
It's quite an interesting cartridge. it's basically a stretched 41 magnum. The data I've found shows that it surpasses the 41 mag by about 300fps in most loadings.
I started out with top 41 mag loads and worked up.
My load is a 210 grain Gold Dot HP over 21 grains of 2400.
This is nowhere near a max load. I stopped here because it had all the accuracy I needed, yet was still quite mild to shoot. I chrono'd this load at 1600 fps from the 14" barrel. It's quite pleasant to shoot, yet exhibits outstanding accuracy. I'm getting 1 1/2" to 2" 3 shot groups at 100 yards with boring regularity. I shot about a 4" to 5" group on the 200 yard iron deer with it today.
I'm quite confident that any deer or antelope that gets in the way of this round is gonna be in a world of hurt.
Firearms antelope season opens in 18 days. I intend to take one or both of my does with this combination. I also have 3 deer tags to fill, and this gun may get to help with that also.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/S4010047.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/S4010048.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/S4010042.jpg

45nut
08-27-2009, 04:46 PM
No pics of the gun Dan?

GLynn41
08-27-2009, 04:54 PM
nie group now show us the weapon :) be sure to let us know how it does go -- all I have are .41s- and two wildcats-41/44 and 41/445 congrats on your 414 find they are rare -- we have taken 3 with the 41/445 and 210xtp and Gold dot at 2200 -- it is hard on deer but 200 yard shots are easy

missionary5155
08-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Greetings
I also am of the persuation that 41 is a GREAT caliber to launch with.
I am presently changing my 375 Supermag into a 41 SM. I have the "New" 41 SM cylinder mounted to the crane and just waiting on my NEW 41 Barrel to be threaded to the 375 frame. Going this way I will still have the 2 caliber option although I dought my DW SM revolver will see the 375 cylinder or extra barrel remounted soon.

Frank
08-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Great post. He gave a good summary of the cartridge, bullet, load, chrono'd velocity and group size at 100 yds, not 25 yds. Even pictures of the animals. Maybe he'll even send everybody meat patties when it's all over. [smilie=l:

DanWalker
08-28-2009, 01:29 AM
No pics of the gun Dan?

Here ya go!
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/S4010050-1.jpg

And one of the daughter shooting the contender with the 22 barrel on it.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/S4010052.jpg

DanWalker
08-28-2009, 01:33 AM
Great post. He gave a good summary of the cartridge, bullet, load, chrono'd velocity and group size at 100 yds, not 25 yds. Even pictures of the animals. Maybe he'll even send everybody meat patties when it's all over. [smilie=l:

Well,
Group size at 25 yards is just one big ragged hole.
Luckily for me, I live right in the middle of the best pronghorn hunting in the world.
I have a 10 minute drive from my house to get to where my hunting area starts.
And as far as patties go, Shipping them to you wold be more expense than it's worth.

GLynn41
08-28-2009, 09:49 AM
being from West Tenn --where pronghorn are a little scarse--how does a pronghorn taste? BTW-- the gold dot at 100 steps on a whitetail doe made a 5" exit hole

9.3X62AL
08-28-2009, 11:53 AM
A mite off-topic, but I've elected to use my M-657 x 6" this year as The Designated CA CondorSafe Deer Revolver, with the 180 grain Barnes unleaded bank-breakers. Once more, into the breach.......er, cylinder.

GLynn41
08-28-2009, 01:45 PM
onward onward rode the brigade canon to the left//canon to right// wrong scene -- go get them and be sure to tell us the tale

jameslovesjammie
08-29-2009, 02:32 AM
Fantastic hand cannon! Those speed-goats won't know what hit them!

My uncle took a nannie at 225 paces with a T/C Contender in 7mm TCU. He was shooting a 120 grain Sierra at near max velocity. They are such a FANTASTIC platform!

9.3X62AL
08-29-2009, 02:41 AM
onward onward rode the brigade canon to the left//canon to right// wrong scene -- go get them and be sure to tell us the tale

Will do, and there are only 29 more shopping days until Opening Day.

DanWalker
08-29-2009, 05:34 AM
Antelope are absolutely superb tablefare. Unfortunately for them, they are often maligned by people unaware of how good they can be when treated PROPERLY.
Most complaints refer to a strong taste or an unpleasant flavor. It has been my experience that once you pin these naysayers down, they usually admit that the meat either came as a gift, and they are unaware as to how the animal was treated before being processed. I've never had a bad antelope that I've killed or that my firends have killed. I realize that this is a realatively small number. Probably around 30 or so in the last 7 years. The meat is delicate and light and just gets better when marinated in soy sauce and garlic.

44man
08-29-2009, 08:35 AM
I have to agree. A friend gave me some sausage some time back and it was wonderful.
They are just like any other animal, shoot a real old goat and it can be strong. I shoot a lot of deer but if it has antlers, I give the meat away.
I really think deer meat gets the worst as the animal gets old and they seem to be affected by diet more.
There are a lot of people that like the wild taste, I don't!
My neighbor worked for a fence company and a few Mexicans came up every year and worked with him. I gave them a buck. It took them no time to skin and cut it, off they went. I found out later that the whole deer was eaten in one day! :bigsmyl2:
I have never seen anyone work as hard as these guys did. I watched them do concrete work and pound fence holes in rock where a machine failed.
Now if we can just get Dan to send all of us a sample! [smilie=l:

GLynn41
08-29-2009, 09:49 AM
I have a different experience with deer-- the older bucks have been just fine --if it is cold enoufh I let them hamg in the garage- if not I put them up quickly and with a little extra effort on the prep they taste fine-- I do not take any one else's deer -- I would take some P.goat:kidding:

44man
09-01-2009, 08:31 AM
I have a different experience with deer-- the older bucks have been just fine --if it is cold enoufh I let them hamg in the garage- if not I put them up quickly and with a little extra effort on the prep they taste fine-- I do not take any one else's deer -- I would take some P.goat:kidding:
It never is cold enough here to hang a deer. If it does get colder, temperature fluctuates too much.
I swore off bucks in Ohio! [smilie=1: I shot a big old one and he was so tough a pressure cooker would not do anything except allow the use of a dull chainsaw instead of a new chain. The flavor would have been improved by burying in a dung heap for a year! :drinks:
Now a 1 or 2 year old buck would be OK but I won't stretch beyond that because I can't age the meat.
I watch some of the hunting shows and have to wonder how much meat from those huge old bucks is wasted. I would rather let them breed. I have shot the doe with a big buck many times, better eating. Nothing will ever turn me into a trophy hunter.
Besides that, we are over run with deer and it gets worse every year. We just can't shoot enough of them. It is so bad they gave us 2 early seasons in Sept. Doe meat is the best! :Fire:

redneckdan
09-01-2009, 09:35 AM
I agree with all the doe hunters here....unfortunately the majority of the 'sportsman' in this area think that shooting a doe is a mortal sin. No Doe permits are issued here. Supplemental feeding is very popular up here, near as I can tell the deer population is about 300% of natural carrying capacity. I swear that the wildlife management practices up here are about 30-50yrs behind everyone else. [smilie=b:

MT Gianni
09-01-2009, 09:49 AM
being from West Tenn --where pronghorn are a little scarse--how does a pronghorn taste? BTW-- the gold dot at 100 steps on a whitetail doe made a 5" exit hole

I like it but am of the opinion that few things stink as much as Antelope blood. Drain it well, wipe out the cavities and get it cleaner than you think it needs to be. It is a dark, rich, meat almost sweet, with long strands of muscle. IMO it is better in chops and steaks than roasts because of the muscle fibers.

redneckdan
09-01-2009, 01:46 PM
I like it but am of the opinion that few things stink as much as Antelope blood.

They're worse than rabbit guts? :shock:

MT Gianni
09-01-2009, 08:47 PM
They're worse than rabbit guts? :shock:

Doubled.

targetshootr
09-01-2009, 09:08 PM
That's some fine shooting.

I have never seen anyone work as hard as these guys did. I watched them do concrete work and pound fence holes in rock where a machine failed.

Same here. They will work from sun up to sun down. They took out the old carpet in my house and put in new carpet in about three hours, and that included lunch which looked to me like flammable burritos.

redneckdan
09-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Doubled.

I didn't think that was possible...:shock: Next time I'm out yer way I'll have to sniff a dead antelope.

DanWalker
09-02-2009, 12:14 AM
I have to disagree. Rabbit guts are WAAAAY nastier than an antelope to my nose. Anyone who wishes to sample a good antelope steak is welcome to stop by my house anytime I'm home.