PDA

View Full Version : The Saga of my new Pro Melt

August
08-27-2009, 03:41 PM
The local emporium had a ten percent off sale today. I was there when the place opened, as they've had one Pro Melt furnace since the place opened and it was marked, before the sale, at 295 bucks. So, with ten percent off, the new Pro Melt was 265 bucks plus tax. I've really been looking forward to this day, as I've been eyeing that thing on their shelf for over a year now.

Got home, opened the box. Sure enough, brand new Pro Melt with NONE of the components in the box. No rollers, no control valve, no rate adjuster, no nuts, no bolts, no nothin'.

I was gonna get right back in the car, and drive all the way across town. The light went on in my head: "I wonder what RCBS might say about this situation?"

Well, RCBS said "we'll try to round up all the parts, and, if we can't, we'll have you return the furnace and send out a new one to you." Not their fault, I'm sure. But, the agent on the phone was concerned about my being able to get up and running with the furnace. He wasn't concerned about the gunstore (assclowns that they are), he wasn't concerned about money. He wasn't concerned about fairness. He was concerned that I got up and running. He said he'd call me back and let me know the situation.

Ten minutes (!) later, he called to say he wrangled the parts and they were on their way to me.

I hate that damn gun store. I really appreciate RCBS -- as, I'm sure you all do too.

So, in the end, I did get my Pro Melt furnace, on sale from an already good price.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. Gonna stick with RCBS, too.

Lloyd Smale
08-28-2009, 05:23 AM
you surely shouldnt let that dealer get away with it without at least a call to let him know he ripped you off.

cajun shooter
08-28-2009, 08:27 AM
August, I'm not quite sure I know what you are referring to as a roller. The Pro-Melt only has a single 90 bar that the mold sits on to pour. The contol valve and flow adjuster are easy to set up once you have them in hand. You will wonder why you used anything else once you are up and running. They are trouble free pots. The light on my control is hard to see and I can tell you that is the only problem. Sometimes I have to take my propane torch and un freeze the drop spout as that is where your temp sensor is located. It's the last place to reach the set temp. Enjoy your new casting tool. Later David

Vly
08-28-2009, 08:49 AM
RCBS rocks. They made excellent equipment and stand behind their products. I have had a similiar pleasant experience with them.

August
08-28-2009, 10:00 AM
By "Roller" I meant those two wheel thingers that slip on the mould support rod. Don't know how important they are...

ANeat
08-28-2009, 10:06 AM
The two collars for the support rod are your left/right guides, really important/handy. I luv my Pro Melt:lovebooli

alamogunr
08-28-2009, 10:22 AM
I got my Pro Melt a couple of month ago. Now my Lee Pro 20 will be backup only. I got it from Midway on clearance since it is 220V. Your price is about the same as what I paid. RCBS sent a replacement cord at no charge when I enquired about how to get into the insides if I wanted to replace the cord. I agree that RCBS is top notch. I decided to just replace the plug with one that fit my outlet. I have yet to master the guide. I keep wanting to position it so the mold slides in straight from the front. With 1 or 2 cavity molds, I keep slipping off the back of the mold. Considering making a platform type guide like shown in one of the Handloader annuals. I have some heat resistant(sort of) material that should work. Looking forward to many years of use.

John
W.TN

tackstrp
08-28-2009, 10:30 AM
purchased a Lee pot suposed to be a #20 pounds . received with minor damger . returning to midway because . over all not as good as my 20 plus year old lyman. which looks similar.

9.3X62AL
08-28-2009, 11:41 AM
My Pro-Melt is among the BEST reloading/casting tools I've ever owned, bar none. Having RCBS behind it is nice, too.

jim4065
08-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Gotta ask - if you're not dealing with a "drip-o-matic" bottom pour mechanism, then what difference does it make whether it's RCBS, Lyman, Lee or Waage? I realize the RCBS is god-awful beautiful - but for a "dip pot" does it justify the price?

Dale53
08-28-2009, 12:42 PM
alamogunr;

Just loosen the retaining screw on the mould support and turn the support slightly until it "angles" across in front of you. It's "normal" position is "square" with the operator. However, if you push the end of the support towards the rear, it will be an angle to you and has a longer support position. Now, your mould will no longer fall off the support.

Dale53

Hardcast416taylor
08-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Ok guys here is what I did on my RCBS pot. I took a piece of aluminum rod that had a 3/8" center hole and cut 5 pieces off of it that were 1/2" wide. I slide 1 of the guides over and tightened the set screw then slid all of the rollers on the rod then put the remaining guide on the end to keep everything on. There is enouth roller movement to let the 4-holer molds glide in and out, slop lead merely falls off the rollers. I think even a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" pipe, minus threads, would work.
If you want real sticker shock, I just got a new RCBS catalog the other day and the 120 volt pot has a suggested retail price of over $400 now!Robert

alamogunr
08-28-2009, 05:27 PM
alamogunr;

Just loosen the retaining screw on the mould support and turn the support slightly until it "angles" across in front of you. It's "normal" position is "square" with the operator. However, if you push the end of the support towards the rear, it will be an angle to you and has a longer support position. Now, your mould will no longer fall off the support.

Dale53

Thanks, I was going to try my solution but house maintenance got in the way. I'll try your suggestion with a new LBT mold I just ordered. Maybe I'll be finished painting, etc. by the time it gets here.

John
W.TN

9.3X62AL
08-28-2009, 06:21 PM
On a couple occasions, my RCBS bottom-pour pot has started forming stalagmites under the nozzle. When that happens, I remove the gate valve assembly and clean up the valve rod and seat with steel wool, and all is well afterward. This happens maybe 2x-3x/year, and if I weren't so bloomin' lazy--and just cleaned it before the need arose--I wouldn't have text content for this post, I suppose.

Dan Cash
08-30-2009, 08:24 PM
I am sorry for you fellows who pay the big bucks for stuff that ends up being a project piece. I will stay with my Harbor Freight 50 lb cast iron kettle ($15.00) and two burner gas stove from the same outfit ($39.00). No tinkering, just casting.

Dale53
08-31-2009, 12:52 AM
Well, I have two RCBS pots and neither of them have caused any serious problems. One of them I have had about thirty years. The other is only about three years old. I did clamp a medium size Vise Grips onto the valve bar to add weight. It would occasionally drip but that hasn't happened since I added the Chinese Vise Grip ( a Cast Boolit Forum tip, no less).

You fellers that brag about dip casting can't match my casting speed. Match quality at speed. Using bottom pour, this morning with a "new to me" four cavity bullet mould I ran 20 lbs of match quality bullets in less than an hour and a half. I don't believe you'll be doing that with a casting dipper.

Dale53

Le Loup Solitaire
08-31-2009, 01:31 AM
HardCast 416Taylor, Good job with the aluminum rod sections and related suggestions for moving molds to and fro under the ProMelt Pot. I used 3-4 roller bearings from my son's discarded skateboard wheels; they were the older style wheels which were bigger it seems than the ones made nowadays. Anyway the system works well and as you say the moldblocks glide smoothly in and out and makes the pouring a lot smoother and consistent...and of course no scraping and wear anywhere. LLS

TAWILDCATT
08-31-2009, 12:26 PM
I wonder who actually makes lyman and rcbs pots.they ought to give good service for the price.I have an old saeco.I dont know how many owners but the person I got it from was a top shooter sooooo.it gave up the thermostart
so I got a harbor freight router speed control its a voltage regulater works like a charm.
saeco and lyman pots were the same when saeco went out so did lymans pot.
theres not that much in the machine.pot electric element,cheap thermostat, wire ect.so I will use the lee I have.and the saeco.

qajaq59
09-04-2009, 02:24 PM
The guy at RCBS probably spent less then $10 of the company's money and gained a custmer for many years. He's no dummy!!