PDA

View Full Version : Mauser extractor question

08-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Is it ok to single load a rifle with a Mauser claw extractor. I try different overall lengths for accuracy so do not want to load from the magazine. Thanks

Ben
08-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Unless the claw has been modified by a gunsmith to slide over the rim of the cartridge, the answer is NO.

A stock unmodified 98' Mauser is designed to feed ALL of it's rounds from the mag. box.

You'll do a considerable amount of damage to the rims trying to get the bolt to close on a loaded round that is placed in the chamber and then you try and close the bolt on that round , not counting the fact that you may end up breaking the claw.

You say :

I try different overall lengths for accuracy so do not want to load from the magazine

If that is the case.....stick the rim down in the mag box and let the nose of the bullet partially position itself against the feed ramp and the close the bolt. This procedure will allow the rim of the cartridge to slide up and into position under the extractor claw.

Ben

mike in co
08-27-2009, 02:21 PM
extract the bolt, slip the cartridge into the bolt/extractor, and re-insert the bolt.
mike in co

lreed
09-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Hello, My mauser rifles, unmodifed,can be loaded without using magizine by dropping round in chamber and pinching the extracter behind the extracter ring and gently closing the bolt,extracter slips over cartridge rim with no effort,of course ymmv. lreed

shotman
09-09-2009, 02:43 AM
I f you polish the face of the extractor it will work . Same as the pre 64 model 70 win. do not slam the bolt closed. I dont have any problems now on the mod 70s.

Calamity Jake
09-09-2009, 09:56 AM
I have a 7MM, 8MM Mauser and 3 Swedes and have had no problems closing the bolt on a chambered round.

As shotman says, don't slam it closed.

StarMetal
09-09-2009, 11:42 AM
extract the bolt, slip the cartridge into the bolt/extractor, and re-insert the bolt.
mike in co

...but make sure you pull the bolt stop fully open as it will go.

On the polishing the extractor face...it's not that simple. The rifles that have the extractor modified have the face of that claw beveled and then polished. The reason the military claw won't close over a loaded round, or is very hard, is because the face of the claw wasn't beveled or beveled enough to do it. They do say that repeatedly doing will eventually weaken the claw. I would imagine it would take a lot of rounds.

Joe

shotman
09-09-2009, 03:44 PM
there is also another problem. some military brass dont have a enough releive at the head and some will not drop the extractor in the groove. I found that too.

StarMetal
09-09-2009, 04:09 PM
there is also another problem. some military brass dont have a enough releive at the head and some will not drop the extractor in the groove. I found that too.

If what you say how would they slip up under the extractor when fed from the magazine in the proper manner? Don't forget they slip under the extractor easy, nothing is forcing them there.

I'm not seeing what your saying as being the full story.

I've edited this to say maybe some of the military brass you're using wasn't meant for the particular rifle you are trying to use it in. I see what you are talking about. That's a case of the wrong case for the rifle.

Joe

waksupi
09-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Many military barrels do not have the relief to allow the extractor to go over the rim when the cartridge is already chambered.

shotman
09-09-2009, 10:54 PM
star get some Military and some domestic. look at the groove. What Iam talking about is they will pick up out of mag but at the chamber till fired they will not let the extractor lock.
You can take about any domestic case and the claw will catch and pull a unfired round back out . Some mil. cases they wont. I went though this with a win 70 that I had bored to 338-06. it will extract some unfired mil. but some wont. looking at the groove I can now know what to use for the 70 and what to used for the garand

StarMetal
09-10-2009, 12:16 AM
star get some Military and some domestic. look at the groove. What Iam talking about is they will pick up out of mag but at the chamber till fired they will not let the extractor lock.
You can take about any domestic case and the claw will catch and pull a unfired round back out . Some mil. cases they wont. I went though this with a win 70 that I had bored to 338-06. it will extract some unfired mil. but some wont. looking at the groove I can now know what to use for the 70 and what to used for the garand

Yes, I understand that. I was just wondering, because I never use a case with the wrong extractor groove, is how the thing would feed from the magazine. I can see putting it directly in the chamber and camming the extractor over it.

This brings up that for heavy special applications you can cut down 308 cases for use in a 45 acp..such as shot shells for example. Well I've wonder how the extractor on the 1911 works with some those cases that don't have such a big wide groove as most 45 acp brass does.

Joe

GabbyM
09-10-2009, 03:11 AM
A buddy and I both had Ruger M77-VT rifles. You can easily drop a round in and let the extractor snap over the case. We both were doing that sinlge shot on dog shoots. We also both had our chambers wear out on one side to the point where neck sized cases had to be oriented to chamber. This from the claw pushing the case over hard to one side. That took less than 1,500 rounds and maybe more like 1,200 rounds.
I've a brand new barrel on my Ruger so now the rounds go in the mag and feed up.

It does feed rounds nice compared to my two Remingtons. My Weatherby Vangaurd in 270 Win is the best feeding bolt gun I have. But I do not own a Win model 70.

StarMetal
09-10-2009, 08:54 AM
A buddy and I both had Ruger M77-VT rifles. You can easily drop a round in and let the extractor snap over the case. We both were doing that sinlge shot on dog shoots. We also both had our chambers wear out on one side to the point where neck sized cases had to be oriented to chamber. This from the claw pushing the case over hard to one side. That took less than 1,500 rounds and maybe more like 1,200 rounds.
I've a brand new barrel on my Ruger so now the rounds go in the mag and feed up.

It does feed rounds nice compared to my two Remingtons. My Weatherby Vangaurd in 270 Win is the best feeding bolt gun I have. But I do not own a Win model 70.

Holy cow! Now that is something. My best feeding bolt gun is my 30-40 Krag.

Joe

BPCR Bill
09-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Just what is so difficult about putting a round in the magazine, and then chambering a round? I own quite a few Mausers, (as well as other rifles with Mauser type claw extractors) and have operated them like that for years. If you have a single shot target rifle with a Mauser action, then I can see the dilemna. I work our gun clubs annual sight in service, and we require single loading on the bench, and it is not an issue with any bolt gun. The pumps and auto-loaders, now that's a different story. You have to go through so many gyrations to get a round in the chamber it's ridiculous. GabbyM makes a very good point as well.

Regards,
Bill

scrapcan
09-10-2009, 11:23 AM
I have a purpose built mauser in 7mm-06 that has had the extractor shaped for single loading. What I can tell you is it is possible to do this, it takes a lot of time fitting plishiing and testing to get things right. Having been down this road I woul dlike to have a standard extractor and feed from the box. Or you can buy a single load follower that will set teh rim down so it will feed up like it is supposed to.

shotman
09-10-2009, 11:10 PM
One other thing Look at the 03 /a3 extractor. look how it is cut . It has a long slope on the face . It will feed singles with ease. I did my win 70 that way and it will feed most any now except some military. Most of the military that I found was before 55 head stamp The ones marked T E seem the best. LC has a smaller than most till about 65.
I found this because of expanding 06 cases for a 338-06. Most domestic will split if you dont anneal them. Never had a military split. You can also stamp a 338 on a military head

Ricochet
09-10-2009, 11:29 PM
So far as experimenting with different overall lengths for accuracy, I'd suggest sticking with lengths that will fit in the magazine for your Mausers. As suggested above, single feeding can be done, but it's a PITA.

StarMetal
09-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Here's a picture that shows how the original Mauser claw extractor was not beveled to ride over the case rim.

Joe
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/starmetal47/DSCF1054.jpg

MtGun44
09-14-2009, 01:29 AM
No pic.

Bill

StarMetal
09-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Sorry, it disappeared, so there ya go.

Joe

Nobade
09-14-2009, 09:50 PM
You can save yourself a lot of hassle and use a Score High single shot follower also. Just get one for a '98 Mauser, drop it into the magazine, and you have a single shot.

scrapcan
09-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Nobade,

That is the one I was thinking of when I posted. I wish I had purchased one instead of spenign the time to rework the extractor.

Nobade
09-16-2009, 07:36 AM
Yep, they work really slick. The Mauser model is deep enough so the case feeds up under the extractor just like it's designed to, so you don't have to reshape the extractor. Can't beat it for $13!

Ben
09-16-2009, 08:51 AM
The Score High single shot follower is definitely the way to go when you are shooting off the bench testing loads with a 98' Mauser.

Or.......they are easy to make :

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/BR%20Follower/?action=view&current=79151f20.pbw

Ben

scrapcan
09-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Ben,

Damn I forgot all about your pictures of you follower. I even have them in the mauser pile at home.

On another note,

one of you guys would not happen to have a spare standard 98 extracotr that I could trade you out of would you?

NickSS
09-17-2009, 04:17 AM
I have shot a lot of rounds from 98 mausers and never had much trouble single loading them actually I load all my bolt guns the same way every time. I put a round in and press it into the magazine then close the bolt. Works every time and really does not take any time at all