PDA

View Full Version : Eliminate Ejection On Mini 14?

08-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Is there a way to keep my Mini 14 from ejecting brass while at the range?

Sonoma2k2
08-27-2009, 10:01 AM
not that i know of, mine usually hurls the cases quite aways, then you got to venture off for it like a scavenger hunt. sucks

WILCO
08-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Is there a way to keep my Mini 14 from ejecting brass while at the range?

Take a look at this:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=21377/Product/MINI_14_MINI_30_ADJUSTABLE_GAS_BLOCK

9.3X62AL
08-27-2009, 10:58 AM
I've noted that Ranch Rifles really fling the brass, but the several rack-grade Minis I've owned (iron sights, no scope ring scallops) are pretty good about dropping empties fairly close to the shooter. A Ruger rep told us at work that the Ranch Rifle's accomodations for scope preservation from the effects from recoil produced the vigorous ejection as a side-effect.

303Guy
08-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Rigorous ejection can be controlled in two ways; use faster powder and perhaps lighter loads or fit a smaller bore gas port nipple. (Bushing).

Stopping the ejection can be done by fitting a solid pin in place of the above nipple. Not a quick change solution! But if the ejection is controlled to park the cases right next to you in a neat pile, that won't be an issue.:Fire:

Baron von Trollwhack
08-27-2009, 06:25 PM
There are two aspects to this. The first is the gas block bushing which vents plenty of gas for vigouous bolt movement. You could buy or make a smaller orificed bushing. The second is the amount the ejector sticks out through the bolt face. On mine I simply ground a lot of the ejector off so the case strikes it later and there is less impact given to the case as it strikes what is left of the ejector. This does nothing for accuracy however, that is another question. It solved, for me, the brass slinging problem though. BvT

Shiloh
08-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Brass flinging wasn't the problem with the several mini's I have owned and sold over the years. Accuracy was. A gas adjustment type affair has been mentioned as a possible remedy. Some military rifles have them.

I did see one a few years ago with an aftermarket stock that was glass bedded and reinforced with internal fiberglass rods. Aftermarket barrel andsights as well. That was the most accurate Mini-14 I . have seen. I didn't know the guy, nor have I seen him since. I didn't have the heart to ask how much money he had in it.
Shiloh

NickSS
08-28-2009, 05:37 AM
I have owned at least a dozen mini 14s over the years and do not own one now for the simple reason that they are all inaccurate. I never owned one that would shoot consistent groups of less than an inch even with the most careful reloading most would not hold a 2 inch group so they are all gone. I like the looks and feel of them they just do not perform up to my desires. Today I own an Olympic arms AR15 clone that will shoot all day into an inch with iron sights.

Baron von Trollwhack
08-28-2009, 07:35 AM
If its real accuracy you want, a mini-14 is not the answer. BvT

Shiloh
08-28-2009, 04:15 PM
I have owned at least a dozen mini 14s over the years and do not own one now for the simple reason that they are all inaccurate. I never owned one that would shoot consistent groups of less than an inch even with the most careful reloading most would not hold a 2 inch group so they are all gone. I like the looks and feel of them they just do not perform up to my desires. Today I own an Olympic arms AR15 clone that will shoot all day into an inch with iron sights.

Best I ever got with the ones I had was 4+ inches at 100 yds, usually a bit more. Match Sierra's and prepped brass. A lost cause. Most out of the box AR's will do less than half that.

SHiloh

Ole
08-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Mine shoots minute of barn. A tin can is in big trouble @ 25 yards. :D

Good enough for me. I'm getting back into shooting my mini more lately.

I did see an aftermarket "harmonic rod" that goes under the barrel on Youtube that apparently works to shrink the groups if that's the kind of thing you're looking for. :)

I like the spray and pray every now and then. It's fun.