PDA

View Full Version : Is +P Brass differnt?

Marlin Hunter
08-27-2009, 04:06 AM
Is brass that is marked +P stronger or thicker brass, or is it just marked from the factory so it won't be loaded in a pistol that can not handle high pressures?

243winxb
08-27-2009, 08:17 AM
Is brass that is marked +P stronger or thicker brass,Star Line brass, 38spec. NO. 45acp Yes. http://www.starlinebrass.com/index.php?cPath=1

XWrench3
08-27-2009, 08:31 AM
well, i learned some things from the starline site. basicly, the answer to the question, is MAYBE!? some are thicker, and some are not. the only way to tell for sure is to actually measure against a standard case from each manufacturer. or ask each individal manufacturer. but since many of them discourage reloading, i would just measure.

badgeredd
08-27-2009, 08:54 AM
My "opinion" is same as 243winxb's based on a quick search. I found this explanation, which seems to be correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overpressure_ammunition

Maybe more research will yield a definitive answer, but I'd think that the headstamp is the primary difference in brass to precluded someone unknowingly loading +P or +P+ ammo into a firearm. My $02...

Edd

mike in co
08-27-2009, 09:40 AM
typical of a wicki answer...sorta right.

the designation is to indicate higher than std loading/pressure. the reason is to discourage thier use in older and lite framed guns, not to indicate they are selfdefense loads.

in all my handloading books, i only find 2 designated "+p" loads, and no "+p+" loads. 38 spl is up loaded 1500 psi, and 45acp is bumped 2k up from the base of 21k.
38super is considered a +p load for 38auto.

mike in co

badgeredd
08-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Totally agreed mike in co!

I've found another link that may be a better answer.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/demystplusp_0306-7/

Another answer:

http://greent.com/40Page/general/plusp.htm

I put "+p Ammunition" into the Bing search engine if anyone else wants to look up some answers.

Edd

257 Shooter
08-27-2009, 11:40 AM
I do not use +P Cases in hand guns but have used them in my 257 Roberts. The +P cases hold 1.5-2.0 grains less water that the standard case. So I got rid of them to avoid confusion.

beagle
08-27-2009, 12:58 PM
When I was working on the article, High Speed .38 Special Loads, I asked myself this same question.

I rounded up all of the .38 Special +P cases I could find and a representative number of a comparable headstamp by the same manufacturer.

I weighed each one after depriming and plotted the weights.

I could determine no weight differences between regular and +P cases and in fact, some regular cases outweighed the +P cases so I'm of the beleif that they're headstamped that way to advise shooters not to shoot them in older guns and they are from a normal case manufacturing run.

Just MHO./beagle

GRid.1569
08-27-2009, 04:40 PM
I’ve have had a recent experience...

I have a custom made expander for my Dillon XL650 (made by a Co called NDFS - North Devon Firearm Services, no longer around I think!) That expander was for .38 Spec cases & HBWC... It had an extended section that allowed for the length of the bullet and a Lyman type M step to allow easier seating... Worked great in my PPC revolver before it was take from me by a paranoid Government following Dunblaine...

Anyway, continued using it for the past 12 years without issues with any bullets / brass in my .357 Mag Marlin 1894cs and the abomination of a revolver a 12 inch barrelled Taurus with frame extension (giving an overall 24 inch length - looks like a coat hanger but it's as good as we get in the UK now)

However, got some Remington .357 Mag (nickel plated) cases a couple of months ago and just started to prep these when... the expander now creates a (seems massive) bulge mid-case at the end of the press stroke - it's a struggle to lower the press ram, it's got some grip... so either the case wall is especially thick or the plating adds alot to the thickness... either way this'll effect the internal capacity of the case ( and hence peak pressure) so working up loads is the only safe way to go.... clearly not all brass is the same spec... +p or not +P(+) that was the question, I suspect there's no cover all answer....

Leftoverdj
08-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Some +P cases and more +P+ cases have an internal taper that will not allow the use of flush seated WCs.

Marlin Hunter
08-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Some +P cases and more +P+ cases have an internal taper that will not allow the use of flush seated WCs.

That is good to know.

Ben
08-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Leftoverdj :

Ditto your remarks, if you seat a full 148 gr. W/C in one with that internal taper , you'll have difficulty chambering the round.

Ben

Char-Gar
08-28-2009, 04:40 PM
I have seated many 38 wadcutters flush in standard cases without any problems. However, seag a HB wadcutter in a standard 38 Special case and the internal taper will give you fits and at the least crush the skirt on the hollow base and play hob with the accuracy.

HB wadcutters require "match" cases with far less internal taper and a special long expanding plug to do things right.

Shiloh
08-28-2009, 06:14 PM
From my limited experience with +P brass, the only difference is the +P on the headstamp.
I have weight it and not found any appreciable difference. Some brass lots weigh more than others. I'll defer to those who may know more.

Shiloh

jt1
08-28-2009, 07:59 PM
I've experienced problems with wadcutters in some brands +p cases, but not others. As mentioned above, the internal taper is greater and you wind up with a swelled case that won't chamber, or chambers hard. I haven't weighed any of the problem ones, I'll try that next time I encounter one.

John