PDA

View Full Version : Copperized boolits

monkeymt
08-26-2009, 06:19 PM
I recently bought some copperized boolits in .430 240gr on the buy and sell forum here. They look like a cast SWC with copper coating. I also have a box of Western Lubaloy 45 Colt 255gr round nose boolits that are from the late 50's or early 60's.
My question is this, are these more or less likely to foul? Are they supposed to be slicker going down the barrel? The Lubaloy look like copper coated boolits to me. Just wondering why you hardly ever see these type of boolits around. Thought it would be kind of neat to load a batch and try them in on of my 44 Specials.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Mark

jwhite
08-26-2009, 09:32 PM
I have a bunch of the copper plated boolits from National Bullet, 200gr .357's that I use in my 35 Rem. & 35 Whelens and they work great. I have used them up to about 1600fps with no troubles. I also used to get National Bullet copperized 255gr .45's and they were the most accurate boolit in my .45 colt Marlin. They are out of business now I think, but they used to turn out good boolits at a good price.

monkeymt
08-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the information. I looked up National Bullet and they are out of business after what appears to be some massive rip-off's for their former customers. Hate to see that.
With what you have said I look forward to loading up some of these in the next few days and giving them a go.
Mark

Marlin Hunter
08-27-2009, 03:11 AM
Does Speer still sell copper plated bullets?

I had some 115gr 9mm bullets. They were advertised for indoor ranges because there was no exposed lead.

I just looked at the speer site and they have them
[SPEERŪ TMJŪ Handgun Bullets] http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/handgun/tmj_unicor.aspx

malpaismike
08-28-2009, 01:56 AM
Hello the camp! I have to watch myself, cuz I load a couple'a my arms with Ranier copper-clad bullets. While they are mostly for my autoloaders, I put them through my Pmodels and Rugers as well. I stay below 1400 for gp--don't need to know that my kaboy guns can be pocket rockets. These are quality bullets. my .02. mm

XWrench3
08-28-2009, 07:26 AM
i have used raineers quite a bit (copper plated boolits). they work great from everyting from my 380 to my 45-70. i got into casting, to save money though. as for the lubaloy, i am not sure what that coating is. but they quit making those years ago to my knowledge. berry's bullets are also copper plated.

monkeymt
08-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks for all the info, this great! From what I gather the copper coatings or coverings are for the most part to reduce lead fumes in the air. I have heard that they are at times more accurate, I suppose that would have to be determined by the individual gun. I am going to load some of these up and see how they do in two of my 44 Specials and may even try the Raineer 45 Colts is a couple of them as well. Nothing beats trying new loads and yet another reason to spend some time at the bench.
Thanks all.
Mark

Cannoneer
08-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Hey, MonkeyMt. I used to use NBC's copperized bullets in all calibers when I loaded commercially. They were great. I even superglued gas checks to the bottom of some of them to shoot some heavy loads out of .44 Magnums when I used to shoot .44's.

Never had any complaints from any of my customers about accuracy or leading.

monkeymt
08-28-2009, 04:05 PM
I have heard that the NBC's were very good bullets and were also clean. From what I can tell they are out of business. If anybody has some 44 or 45 NBC's they would like to sell I would be very interested.
Thanks Cannoneer