PDA

View Full Version : Radiator shops

odinohi
08-26-2009, 05:51 PM
If I went into a radiator shop to find used solder, what would I ask for? This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm serious. I know I read somewhere about solder at these shops, but I'll be darned if I can find it now. Thanks guys, Tom

duke76
08-26-2009, 06:30 PM
drippings or droppings
They blow the seams apart of radiators with heat and compressed air and then all the old solder falls on the floor and they sweep it up

sundog
08-26-2009, 06:43 PM
yeah, and the drippings from the dip tanks. you better be prepared for a dirty, smelly, nasty job.

BUT, it IS worth it, especially if you can cart it off for nothing. Treat it as 50 percent tin - close enough.

high standard 40
08-26-2009, 06:45 PM
They're known locally here as solder drippings. The shop I get mine from remove the old solder from tank seams over the soaking tank and the drippings fall into the tank. This is done with a torch and wire brush. When the soaking tank is cleaned out, the solder along with everything else cleaned fron the radiator cores is scooped into a 5 gal bucket. I get a bucket here for about $5. There is a lot of crap mixed in but it usually yields about 30 lbs of solder.

GLL
08-26-2009, 07:00 PM
Here is 27 pounds of 60/40 solder ingots from the dip tank of my local shop. This is from a 5 gal bucket that included about 75 pounds of assorted sludge & crap as well !

It is indeed a very nasty job but look at the pretty results ! :) :)

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/7D15931F35477FE/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/3D9E4C790723581/standard.jpg

sundog
08-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Jerry, nice pics. Felix and I did the same in a joint venture only we poured ours in cupcakes.

This is one of the 'ultimates' in recycling.

Rockchucker
08-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Those are some pretty solder ingots, only wish I had some.:groner:

RoyRogers
09-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Here is 27 pounds of 60/40 solder ingots from the dip tank of my local shop. This is from a 5 gal bucket that included about 75 pounds of assorted sludge & crap as well !

It is indeed a very nasty job but look at the pretty results ! :) :)

Jerry

Jerry

Did you pre-clean your bucket of crud to come up with those flakes? I tried melting a big pot full of everything in the bucket I picked up today - what a mess trying to get all the crap out of the pot with black sooty fumes roiling off the pot the whole time! Surely there is a better way?? I did net 6 muffins probably ~ 1.5# ea (too hot to weigh tonight) and about 1" left in a 12" pot bottom. I'm guessing I'll end up with 30# or so when finished for 10 bucks, half tank of propane, ~ 6hrs nasty work, and a 40 round trip mile drive to pick up the crud bucket.

I've learned a few things:

That I'll need a l o n g e r ladle; that a flat bottom dutch over doesn't lend itself to fluxing/skimming, and is difficult to dip from with a round plumber's ladle unless its holding lots of metal. At least I can put this experience on my resume' :cool:

Crazy thing is like odinoih said in another 'drippings' thread - I actually don't mind doing this stuff. Been letting the mosqiutoes snack on my flesh while sorting WW after work, wearing out gloves and getting blisters, but it is still kinda rewarding in a weird way. Maybe I've been inhaling too much lead dust/fumes?:veryconfu