PDA

View Full Version : lee 4 hole turret

hiram
08-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Is the 4 hole turret for the classic press and lee's other presses the same?

mdi
08-26-2009, 03:08 PM
I believe the Classic Cast Turret and the Turret use the same turret, if that's what you mean. Not so on the progressive presses.

markinalpine
08-26-2009, 03:40 PM
I believe the Classic Cast Turret and the Turret use the same turret, if that's what you mean. Not so on the progressive presses.

It's the same part number for the Classic Turret Press, and the 4-Hole Turret Press.

Mark :coffeecom

hiram
08-26-2009, 04:52 PM
thank you

I'm putting together a shopping list for the lee classic turret. I don't want to buy a kit with something I don't need or get equipment where I have to start upgrading. Lee isn't that costly where I can't get the top of the line stuff to start with.

There is a part called a 'swivel adapter'. What is it?/what is it for??

Is the adjustable charge bar necessary or a good idea??

DLCTEX
08-26-2009, 05:16 PM
The adjustable charge bar is great to enable removal of the powder measure without turning the whole measure. If you are going to use the measure with other die/plate setups the it is a must. The adjustable charge bar is well worth the money, also. I have the safety prime unit and love it. The safety prime will require a riser to raise the powder measure to clear it. As far as I'm concerned the Classic Cast tools are top of the line to start with.

Gee_Wizz01
08-26-2009, 08:27 PM
The Lee swivel adapter is useful and makes it much easier to remove the powder measure. I have mixed emotions about the adjustable charge bar, for me it doesn't work consistently with very small charges with flake powders such as Unique. It works okay with larger charges and with very fine powders. And as Dale said don't forget to get the riser if you use the safety prime systems as the powder measure will interfere with the primer system. The Lee Classic turret is a great press and you wont regret buying it.

G

markinalpine
08-26-2009, 08:36 PM
The swivel adapter fits on the bottom of both of their Auto-Disk Powder Measures to allow the measure to be rotated so it won't hit the Safety Prime. Just get the Pro version of the powder measure and the swivel adapter is included. If you don't change setups often, you can get by with one riser, and it isn't that hard to unscrew the riser with the powder measure when you switch, but definitely get enough 4-hole turrets so you can keep your dies installed, and just swap them out as needed. You can also buy extra round red die boxes to store the die set/turrets under a dust cover.

mooman76
08-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Midway has the 4 hole turrets on sale.

hiram
08-26-2009, 11:10 PM
So far my shopping list is--
press
dual primer feed
pro powder measure
double powder disk kit
turrets

dolang1
08-27-2009, 09:23 AM
hiram, You might want to add Lee flowthru sizer dies for each caliber. I didn't think of that even though it was mentioned by somebody on this site. I've got 2 on order now. I read also that some sizers work for different calibers, but that's above my pay grade at this time. Later Don

smith52
08-27-2009, 09:58 AM
I have not had good luck with the Lee adjustable charge bar, as someone said earlier, does not drop consistant powder chargers. I started out with the Auto Disk powder system, but have since purchased the Pro Auto Disk, I like it much better. The Pro Auto Disk allows you to remove just the hopper which lets you make faster, easier adjustments to your powder charge while working up loads. With the Auto Disk, to change your powder charge you have to remove the whole powder thrower for the die dump the powder out, unscrew the hopper, change or rotate the disk, and then reassemble.
I think you'll be very happy with the Lee Turret Press, I love both of mine.

wallenba
08-28-2009, 07:32 PM
hiram, You might want to add Lee flowthru sizer dies for each caliber. I didn't think of that even though it was mentioned by somebody on this site. I've got 2 on order now. I read also that some sizers work for different calibers, but that's above my pay grade at this time. Later Don

The Lee charge thru expander is a good addition, Lyman went one better. They sell a charge thru expander die that uses the "M" style expander button, it fits most all dispensers and the one die comes with expanders for most all pistol cartridges in one kit. About twice as much, but it covers all bases. see it here http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/dies/precision-speciality-dies.php

P.S. it's cheaper at Midway!

deltaenterprizes
08-28-2009, 08:23 PM
The Lee charge thru expander is a good addition, Lyman went one better. They sell a charge thru expander die that uses the "M" style expander button, it fits most all dispensers and the one die comes with expanders for most all pistol cartridges in one kit. About twice as much, but it covers all bases. see it here http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/dies/precision-speciality-dies.php

P.S. it's cheaper at Midway!

How do you attach it to a Lee powder measure?

TAWILDCATT
08-30-2009, 03:38 PM
the lee adjustable I have did not work well with small charges,it does not go back far enuf,the micro is for small charges.

wallenba
09-03-2009, 10:55 PM
How do you attach it to a Lee powder measure?

Yup, the Lee's won't work without some trickery, I'm still working on that idea. You can adapt the Lyman multiexpand charge thu to use the Lee funnel though with a 1/2MPT X 3/8 FPT bushing( any good hardware store) as an adapter. Just open up the 3/8 threads a little for the funnel. The bushing will need to be wrapped with teflon tape as the pipe thread is a tad loose.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-04-2009, 07:55 AM
So far my shopping list is--
press
dual primer feed
pro powder measure
double powder disk kit
turrets

Here are items I would have on the list, having bought and owned that press and used all the items:

Universal Charge bar (I use it for Winchester Super Target with 4.4 grains in .45ACP, works great.)
Micro disk (I use it for Titegroup with 2.7 grains in .380ACP, works great.)
Double Disk kit (I don't have a specific use for this yet, but I will likely use it next time I reload a small rifle caliber.)
Pro Auto Disk powder measure
Pro Auto Disk riser to clear safety prime (You'll need this.)
Safety prime kit, large and small primers (Buy both and you'll have them when you add a caliber.)
Lee Deluxe pistol die set in calibers of your choice - Buy all the sets you can afford to buy initially and when you're ready to load the caliber, you'll have the dies on hand.
Empty 2 pound coffee can to route primers into from primer disposal tube, cut a small X in plastic lid, stick in tube from Lee press, perfect for disposing of spent primers and you get a ping that tells you the primer hasn't clogged anything.
Lee Universal decapping die (A handy thing every now and again.)
Lee Universal expanding die (another handy item)
Lee rifle charging die (for small calibers when you're using the double disk kit)
Extra four hole turrets, at least two more

Be aware that the Lee accessory items, if you bought all of them, are still very inexpensive and you'll end up saving yourself more money on shipping by buying every single one from the git go. That's what I did and with the items on hand, I've been able to try them out, find an application they work well in and I've been very happy with the choice, no regrets at all.

As far as powder through expanders go, I've loaded .45ACP, .380ACP and 9MM using the Lee 4-die pistol sets and their powder through expanders. I've gotten good results using cast boolits (I cast my own in all three calibers.) and I've never had a need for any other caliber. Additionally, the Lee die gives me not only powder through case expansion, but automated powder drop with the Lee powder measures as well. Having that combination in pistol has allowed me to have preset powder measures very cheaply for every pistol cartridge I own. That is very inexpensive powder measure luxury and the Pro Auto Disks have been great. You'll want to take advantage of the speed advantage the auto advance gives you and to do that, you'll need the safety primer and the pro auto disk powder measure along with a auto disk riser. With those and a properly tuned, adjusted press, you should be able to turn out between 200-300 cartridges an hour.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Dave