PDA

View Full Version : Browning/Winchester single shots

Naphtali
08-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Please furnish a link for vendors stock parts for Browning/Winchester reproduction single shot centerfire rifles and actions.

Where would I find isometric drawing for the rifle(s)?

What are the mechanical differences between Browning's reproduction single shot and Winchester's original 1885? Between Winchester/USRAC's reproduction and Winchester's original? I differentiate between Browning and Winchester's reproductions because the reproduction M1886 lever actions differ mechanically from originals AND from each other, despite the same company manufacturing.

August
08-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Not sure exactly what you're after here. Both the modern Brownings and Winchesters are made by Miroku of Japan. They are both exactly the same, differing only in wood finish (and that dumb gold trigger). Neither is internally like the original high walls made by Winchester long ago.

If you need parts or service for a modern, Miroku High Wall, simply contact Browning.

The owner's manual for these rifles, which includes exploded drawings, used to be available on Browning's site.

There is a two volume study of the Winchester Single Shot rifles done by John Campbell. It is an extremely comprehensive treatment of the original design and variations thereof. It does not extend to modern, Miroku rifles. Texas Mac has a book, which he said was available, on the modern, Miroku reproductions. It, also, is reputedly a comprehensive treatment. (he'll probably be along here shortly to speak for himself)

Hope this helps.

pietro
08-27-2009, 08:26 AM
I might add that the Miroku/Browning B-78 also differs from the later Miroku/Browning/Winchester M-1885, mostly in the area of trigger design.

TonyT
08-27-2009, 01:36 PM
I don't know what the difference is between the innards of the Browning 78 and Browning 1885 but my 78 has a much better trigger than my 1885.

Dale53
08-27-2009, 02:01 PM
TonyT;
I have several of the Modern Browning and Winchester 1885 single shots. I developed a trigger "fix" for those that will easily, give you a 2-2½ lb crisp trigger on any of them. If any are interested just write me direct (rmcgee at zoomtown.com) and I'll send you a copy of the article that I wrote for the Single Shot Exchange that gives full details on this VERY worthwhile improvement. This applies to the rimfire, the center fire modern, and the Black Powder Cartridge Rifles.

Dale53

longhorn
08-27-2009, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't know Dale53 if he was knocking at the door, but I used his instructions to have a more accomplished friend "fix" the trigger on my Browning BPCR. Astonishing improvement! ABSOLUTELY worth the effort. Genius at work! Oh, and after you get the schematics, forget about detail stripping the Browning/Winchester/Miroku. Unless, unlike me, you've never had to visit a gunsmith with your gun in pieces in a box and a silly-a**ed grin on your face......it's an experience.

texasmac
10-08-2009, 11:05 PM
I'll take this opportunity to sneak a sales pitch in here. If you guys need to disassemble and reassemble a Miroku Browning or Winchester 1885 you need one of my books (http://www.texas-mac.com). ;-)

Wayne