PDA

View Full Version : lyman mold ?

bisley45
04-07-2006, 06:24 PM
I just got a lyman mold from ebay the ? I have is there a set screw on the side of the mold that holds the spur plate screw tight if so mine is missing

kodiak1
04-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Your's is missing.
Ken

dltaskey
04-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Yup, your's is pre-lost. But then again you can't hardly keep them tight so they fall out anyway.:???:

bisley45
04-07-2006, 08:27 PM
thanks guys this is my first lyman mold and I was just woundering

Buckshot
04-08-2006, 08:27 AM
...............I'f I'm not mistaken Lyman may have used 2 sizes. The older ones are sloted and are 10-32. I think the newer ones may be 8-32, but I know for a fact are hex head :-) Anyway, they're common thread sizes so your local hardware store will have them.

You shouldn't really cinch them down or you'll bend the end of the pivot screw. The pivot screw should have the sprueplate just snug enough so the plate won't just flop around. Then just snug up the keeper screw.

..................Buckshot

BruceB
04-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Gotta confess that I DO really " snug it down", meaning the locking screw is TIGHT. A pet peeve is having the screw work loose during a production session, allowing the pivot screw to loosen.

The very first thing done with any Lyman mould arriving at my place, is immediate replacement of that slotted-head locking screw with a 10-32 socket-head setscrew. Then I can definitely get a GRIP on the little sucker. I detest the original slotted ones with a passion, and I keep a dozen or so of the 10-32 socket headed screws on hand for this purpose. They don't even have to be any particular length...almost any length will do.

I haven't noticed any ill effects to date, by having this screw tight. I will, howver, be on the lookout in the future, and thanks for the heads-up, Buckshot. I have yet to find a Lyman witth an 8-32 size screw, but I also don't get all that many "new" moulds, either.