PDA

View Full Version : Parkerized 45's

Trapshooter
08-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Good Morning,

A buddy of mine bought a RIA 45 with the Parkerized finish. He is a reliability fanatic, and is having some problems with feeding with Winchester ball ammo. He decided not to oil the arm, and only uses Hornady's dry lube spray. I always thought that a Parkerized finish had to be oiled, both to protect the metal, and for lubricity, and all the 45 auto shooters I know (primarily Bullseye shooters) always used oil.

Anyone have any experience (first or second hand) with dry lubes on parked pistols? Any rusting, or reliability issues?

Thanks

Trapshooter

Four Fingers of Death
08-26-2009, 11:23 AM
What do the bullseye shooters say about oil (especially in a new gun)? Ans: the elbow is the lowest point teh oil will reach. I don't do much in the way of cleaning, but I'm generous with the oil, especially in teh first 6-700 rounds, ran in my rough ol' Springfield Armoury parkerised 1911 that way and it loosened up fine.

Trapshooter
08-26-2009, 12:13 PM
That is consistent with what I had read, and had heard, that you need oil not only for rust protection, but for consistant functioning too with the roughness of parkerizing. What do the IPSC guys use? They blow through a lot more ammo than a bullseye match.

Trapshooter

Char-Gar
08-26-2009, 12:30 PM
A Parkerized finish is very porus and absorbs oil like a sponge. You need to keep such a pistol well oiled. 'With a new auto loading pistol, the top of the finish ( I call it the fuzz) will come off and mix with the oil, so the weapon needs frequent cleaning for the first 500 to 1,000 rounds to get the gunk out.

Well used pistols have the top layer of fuzz gone and run better and need less oil. You can take this fuzz off a new finish with some 000 or 0000 steel wool. What you have left is better looking and not as oil dependent.

I have no idea about your friends lube and how it works.

These days I use Mobil Velocite 10 Spindle oil for general firearms lubrication and Moble Vactra 2 Way oil for the rails of auto pistols. Both of these lubes are excellend and I buy them by the gallon for the lathe. Vactra is quite nice as it is designed to stay put and not run off.

S.R.Custom
08-26-2009, 01:08 PM
What do the bullseye shooters say about oil (especially in a new gun)? Ans: the elbow is the lowest point teh oil will reach...

A buddy came over the other day and saw the big, oily spot on the garage floor next to the wall. "Harley's in the shop, huh? Lucky bastard. My wife won't let me have one."

As I pointed to the nail sticking out of the wall, I said "Mine won't either. That's just where I hang my .45..."