PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shoot a BFR?

use enough gun
08-26-2009, 06:53 AM
I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone here besides me shoots a BFR in 45/70? Wondering what loads you shoot, how you like yours. For those that don't or haven't shot one, you don't know what you're missing. Here's a picture of mine along with a .22 rimfire cartridge, a .41 mag cartridge, 362 grain gc, and loaded 45/70 cartridge. Dave
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/quickd100/PICT0113.jpg

44man
08-26-2009, 09:12 AM
I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone here besides me shoots a BFR in 45/70? Wondering what loads you shoot, how you like yours. For those that don't or haven't shot one, you don't know what you're missing. Here's a picture of mine along with a .22 rimfire cartridge, a .41 mag cartridge, 362 grain gc, and loaded 45/70 cartridge. Dave
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/quickd100/PICT0113.jpg
Sure, best gun made! Use SR4759 and a large pistol magnum primer, I like Fed 155's.
I also use a tuft of Dacron over the powder but you don't need it.
300 gr Hornady, 32.5 gr 4759
317 gr GC, 31 gr
325 gr GC, 31.5 gr
330 gr GC, 31.5 gr
350 to 360 gr, 30 gr
378 gr PB, 30 gr
420 gr Mountain molds GC, 27 gr
another 420 gr GC, 28.5 gr
The gun will do an inch or under at 100 yards. These are 50 yard groups.

44man
08-26-2009, 09:19 AM
By the way, the gun will fit the Uncle Mikes shoulder holster made for the Contender super 14. The holster is number 13.

use enough gun
08-26-2009, 01:21 PM
44Man; I've spoke with you before and am using your loading data. As you said, it's the most accurate handgun I've ever shot. Just shot my first coyote with mine last thursday. I've got the Uncle Mikes holster for mine and it works fairly well. I've carried it from 6 am to 10 pm more than a couple times, don't even know it's there after awhile. Dave

markinalpine
08-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Uh...BFR = Big F***in' Revolver?

Mark

Heavy lead
08-26-2009, 03:58 PM
where's the bayonet lug.
BFRB?
That would be pre-ban.

Trey45
08-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Uh...BFR = Big F***in' Revolver?

Mark

Biggest Finest Revolver, made by Magnum Research. IWI, formerly IMI.

45nut
08-26-2009, 05:02 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/revolvers/100_1012.jpg

use enough gun
08-26-2009, 08:22 PM
What scopes are you guys using? I'll be buying one this fall but don't know what to look at. Dave

markinalpine
08-26-2009, 08:41 PM
Biggest Finest Revolver, made by Magnum Research. IWI, formerly IMI.

I'll look them up. I just recall old hands telling the new mechanic that they needed a BFH, ...Hammer, when I was in the Army.

Mark [smilie=s:

Frank
08-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Ultradot Matchdot for me. I like the brand because it's affordable, it holds up to the recoil and it has a Lilfetime Warranty service if you do have problem. 44man likes the red dot for hunting whitetails in low light. He uses the Ultradot30.

use enough gun
08-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks Frank, I'll take a look at them. Dave

Four Fingers of Death
08-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Until I actually saw one in the flesh, I felt that the BFR stood for big and F*^&%$G Ridiculous. But once I laid my hands on one, I uttered those famous words "I BELIEVE!!!!"

They are an awesome bit of kit. The 30/30s are popular here as you don't need a High Calibre permit, just need to belong to a pistol club.

Everything the 454Casull can do and more with loads less pressure.

I fancy one in 444, but the 45/70 probably makes more sense.

It comes to mind with me that if you are packing something that big a carbine would be not much different to carry and a lot easier to shoot effectively. They'd be fun to play with though. Like to see some black powder loads being arc'd up on dusk. :D

44man
08-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Here are 10 rounds I took to the range. The fliers are my technique. Next step is harder alloy and working on my hold out to 100 yards.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=1237
Yep, when a shot is out it is me, I can never blame the gun. That darn thing will out shoot almost every 45-70 rifle to 500 meters.
Lots of times I shoot five and when I get to the target all I can say is WOW. Done with a 4" dot too. I don't know what it would do with a powerful scope.

odis
08-27-2009, 12:52 AM
Mine's a 45 Colt and I got it just a couple of weeks ago. I love it.

ebner glocken
08-27-2009, 08:06 AM
I have a BFR but not in 45/70 but really like the idea of getting one sometime. Here's mine. WOW, My first photo!

44man
08-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Most have seen this picture before but is the only one I have left that shows the sling and stud. I use the 6' utility sling and install a stud on all of my revolvers. If walking with the gun out of the holster, the grip is right at my hand level.
It works great from a tree stand because I doze a lot! :-)
Whitworth had his S&W with an Ultra Dot fall out of his holster last year when the outfitters tree stand let go and he had to ride it to the ground. The gun bounced off the stand and went to the ground.
He wasn't hurt and the gun only had a small mark on the scope.
It didn't even knock it off center, it was still dead on when we shot it.
I would hate to drop a gun and have it hit a rock.

44man
08-27-2009, 08:35 AM
I consider the BFR a real sleeper just like a Savage rifle. A lot of accuracy for the money and a strong gun.
Magnum Research is the only company that actually reduced prices.
One reason is they keep advertisements down and you will see very few in magazines. It cuts costs big time.
I asked one magazine why they never show or test any and I got a nasty response. Looks like MR will not pander to writers, good for our wallets!

Frank
08-27-2009, 12:41 PM
ebner glocken says
I have a BFR but not in 45/70 but really like the idea of getting one sometime. Here's mine. WOW, My first photo!
And you are also very successful with yours. 2" at 100 yds, with the BFR in .500 S&W.

That's great. Can you elaborate on your bag technique?

You also own Contenders. How does a Contender compare to a BFR? What are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

Dframe
08-27-2009, 01:25 PM
I've never fired a BFR but have owned a Phelps 45/70 for years. Great shooting gun. Lately I've been using 405 grain bullets and Trail Boss powder in a load from the trail boss manual.

Four Fingers of Death
08-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Has anyone here used the 20/20 or the 444 version?

Frank
08-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Dframe says
I've never fired a BFR but have owned a Phelps 45/70 for years. Great shooting gun. Lately I've been using 405 grain bullets and Trail Boss powder in a load from the trail boss manual.

That's great. I see one advertised used for $1600. It looks like a BFR from the small pic.

Frank
08-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Has anyone here used the 20/20 or the 444 version?

I'll bet it's accurate and a rock buster.

Four Fingers of Death
08-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Make that a 30/30 (typing in the semi dark in the middle of the night last night while the rest of the family was asleep and I couldn't sleep).

Frank
08-28-2009, 12:26 AM
Four Fingers of Death said
It comes to mind with me that if you are packing something that big a carbine would be not much different to carry and a lot easier to shoot effectively.
Four Fingers of Death now tells us
Make that a 30/30 (typing in the semi dark in the middle of the night last night while the rest of the family was asleep and I couldn't sleep).

Did you know: A hard-hitting round in a handcannon is easier on the retina's than a heavy round in a light carbine. :bigsmyl2:

JesterGrin_1
08-28-2009, 12:33 AM
If BFR had one in a .44 Mag I would sure think about one. :)

44man
08-28-2009, 08:42 AM
If BFR had one in a .44 Mag I would sure think about one. :)
I think the custom shop will make one for you.

Four Fingers of Death
08-28-2009, 09:18 AM
Four Fingers of Death said
Four Fingers of Death now tells us

Did you know: A hard-hitting round in a handcannon is easier on the retina's than a heavy round in a light carbine. :bigsmyl2:

I'll have to pay that one! :D

Jester Grin, they have one, though it's a tad longer in the case :D It's the 444!!!! I don't know if there'd be enough advantage in having a BFR in 44Mag that is pretty much twice as dear as a Super Blackhawk.

ebner glocken
08-28-2009, 09:36 AM
ebner glocken says
And you are also very successful with yours. 2" at 100 yds, with the BFR in .500 S&W.

That's great. Can you elaborate on your bag technique?

You also own Contenders. How does a Contender compare to a BFR? What are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

Bag technique is pretty simple, one rag under the grip and two sandbags stacked up under the frame with the gun shoved forward into the bag, no bag touching the barrel.

The load is a lee 440 gr. FNGC with 38 grains of ww 296, federal 150 primer crimped pretty hard. The alloy is WQWW. This load is about my maximum threshold of pain. I'm sure there are guys here that can take more and less, this is my personal max that I care to endure.

The best groups I have shot have been two inches @ 100 yards for a 5 shot group. After doing this twice in a row and getting full of myself I tried it again and shots strung much beyond two inches I looked at the scope and seen marks on the tube from it moving, this I blame on the rings and not the gun.

If anyone here has any suggestions on what rings I need I'm very open to suggestion :-)

To compare a T/C to a BFR is really like apples to oranges. My BFR has a 2X leupold on it and all together it has much more weight to soak up recoil than does the sighted T/C when I have the 45/70 bbl on it. Both shoot well, the T/C shoots as well as I can with sights as I have no scope on the 45-70 bbl, but I will tell you with full power loads this thing hurts worse than the BFR. If I had better rings I could tell you with more proof a more definate answer of how repeatable those groups are with the BFR.

Advantages with the BFR: It holds 5 rounds and and it soaks up recoil better than the T/C. Advantages of the T/C: It cost less over all and for 200 bucks and five minutes later you can have just about any caliber you want.

Ebner

odis
08-28-2009, 10:09 AM
If BFR had one in a .44 Mag I would sure think about one. :)!600 bucks from the precision center. I would imagine that the barrel would have the same rifling as the .444. I don't how that would work for 44 mag performance but on their web site they mention that they have made them before.

rockrat
08-28-2009, 10:53 AM
I had one in 45-70. Shot great and loved the gun, but had a medical emergency with regards to my shooting arm (unrelated to shooting) that made it to where I couldn't hardly hold up a pistol, so sold it to someone on this board.
Arm is back to full strength now, so could shoot it again, but bought a 50AE to shoot now. I have liked the two I have owned.

44man
08-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Bag technique is pretty simple, one rag under the grip and two sandbags stacked up under the frame with the gun shoved forward into the bag, no bag touching the barrel.

The load is a lee 440 gr. FNGC with 38 grains of ww 296, federal 150 primer crimped pretty hard. The alloy is WQWW. This load is about my maximum threshold of pain. I'm sure there are guys here that can take more and less, this is my personal max that I care to endure.

The best groups I have shot have been two inches @ 100 yards for a 5 shot group. After doing this twice in a row and getting full of myself I tried it again and shots strung much beyond two inches I looked at the scope and seen marks on the tube from it moving, this I blame on the rings and not the gun.

If anyone here has any suggestions on what rings I need I'm very open to suggestion :-)

To compare a T/C to a BFR is really like apples to oranges. My BFR has a 2X leupold on it and all together it has much more weight to soak up recoil than does the sighted T/C when I have the 45/70 bbl on it. Both shoot well, the T/C shoots as well as I can with sights as I have no scope on the 45-70 bbl, but I will tell you with full power loads this thing hurts worse than the BFR. If I had better rings I could tell you with more proof a more definate answer of how repeatable those groups are with the BFR.

Advantages with the BFR: It holds 5 rounds and and it soaks up recoil better than the T/C. Advantages of the T/C: It cost less over all and for 200 bucks and five minutes later you can have just about any caliber you want.

Ebner
I find a firm sandbag under the butt and the barrel rested near the muzzle works best. Controlling the rear bag so recoil does not change it is best. Make changes to the front bag to get on target.
A barrel on the bag means nothing as the thing leaves the bag so fast it has no effect.
I tried frame rests, wrist rests and everything in between but nothing lets me hold as steady as the butt on a bag and the muzzle on another.
I like Warne rings for the heavy kickers. You have to remember the weight of a scope is important. I destroyed the tube on a Burris with my .44, too heavy and a soft tube. Nothing on earth would hold it. I lapped the rings and tried everything from tape to rosin but the scope would not hold.
I will never buy another Burris pistol scope. Take a cheap Tasco and nothing will harm that tube. Leopold has a tough tube. Ultra dot has a good tube. I have broken glass in cheap red dots by getting rings on top of it. Nothing worse then snugging up rings and hearing a "snap" as the lens breaks, nowhere near tight with a torque wrench either. Cheap, soft tubes.
I hate the TC grip, it was designed for pain! [smilie=l:I can shoot my BFR's with one hand but even a TC in 30-30 is crazy knuckle smashing stupidity. Creedmore is OK and two hands is OK off hand but off hand with one hand is not something I like. Put large calibers in them and you need a helmet or a big foam pad behind you to catch the gun.
Now the BFR 45-70 has mild recoil and the factory Ultra Dot rings hold it just fine. I go to Warne with the .475.

MikeG
08-28-2009, 07:10 PM
I have one in 7.5"

A good load for me is a 405 gr hard cast over 46 gr IMR 4198, and standard CCI large rifle primers.

I got an average of 1455 fps.

I shot that load clear through a 12" diameter pine log.

Mike G.

44man
08-29-2009, 12:19 AM
I have one in 7.5"

A good load for me is a 405 gr hard cast over 46 gr IMR 4198, and standard CCI large rifle primers.

I got an average of 1455 fps.

I shot that load clear through a 12" diameter pine log.

Mike G.
I had pressure excursions with 4198 with several shots jumping to over 1800 fps with stuck cases.
I got away from LR primers too and find LP mag primers are much more accurate.
I get a little over 1630 fps with 4759.
By the way, the 45-70 BFR has a mainspring for LP primers. They don't use a stronger spring until you go to the .450 Marlin.

use enough gun
08-29-2009, 07:23 AM
Another question for you guys. What kind of maximum velocity have you guys been able to wring out of a 10.5 barreled 45/70 and what bullet weight, powder, and powder charge? I'll be usig mine on deer in a couple months and need an accurate and stout load for a 300grain JHP and for the ranchdog .460/350. Dave

44man
08-29-2009, 08:07 AM
Another question for you guys. What kind of maximum velocity have you guys been able to wring out of a 10.5 barreled 45/70 and what bullet weight, powder, and powder charge? I'll be usig mine on deer in a couple months and need an accurate and stout load for a 300grain JHP and for the ranchdog .460/350. Dave
I gave the loads I use above. The Hornady bullet loves 32.5 gr of 4759 and the Fed 155. They will poke near one hole at 50 yards.
Be careful with the cast, you need to soften them because at the velocity they will zip through a deer with little effect unless you hit the shoulders.
I am going to 50-50 WW and pure this season. I still water drop them for accuracy.
I never chronographed the Hornady but I would guess about 1650 fps or so and it does a great job on deer.

Leadforbrains
08-29-2009, 09:52 AM
I think the custom shop will make one for you.
I would love to have one in .44 mag as well.
Something else to think about.

dubber123
08-29-2009, 10:43 AM
I would love to have one in .44 mag as well.
Something else to think about.

Once you hit the $1,600 of the BFR custom shop, it might be worth considering that "other" brand... [smilie=1:

44man
08-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Once you hit the $1,600 of the BFR custom shop, it might be worth considering that "other" brand... [smilie=1:
Not so, it will not better the accuracy after spending another
$900 more.
But all of you should think about just a Ruger in .44. Scott is getting 1/2" at 50 yards with cast in the Ruger Hunter and an Ultra Dot.
You will not better that no matter what you spend.
The BFR's are king in the larger calibers.
For normal calibers I will just buy a Ruger.
Some like "Pretty" and I will not deny them because some like all kinds of engraving too. I like a gun I don't have to worry about or just leave in the safe.
Consider the pain a scratch on the "other" brand will cause!
I always think about the long rifle I built long ago with carving, inlays and engraving all over it. I took it hunting once and slipped on the ice. I threw my arms up over my head to keep the gun from hitting anything and took the fall with my body instead. That was the last time it went out but I did kill a deer that time.
Anyway, I like to show targets and dead deer instead of "pretty."

dubber123
08-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Not so, it will not better the accuracy after spending another
$900 more.
But all of you should think about just a Ruger in .44. Scott is getting 1/2" at 50 yards with cast in the Ruger Hunter and an Ultra Dot.
You will not better that no matter what you spend.
The BFR's are king in the larger calibers.
For normal calibers I will just buy a Ruger.
Some like "Pretty" and I will not deny them because some like all kinds of engraving too. I like a gun I don't have to worry about or just leave in the safe.
Consider the pain a scratch on the "other" brand will cause!
I always think about the long rifle I built long ago with carving, inlays and engraving all over it. I took it hunting once and slipped on the ice. I threw my arms up over my head to keep the gun from hitting anything and took the fall with my body instead. That was the last time it went out but I did kill a deer that time.

Well, by your math, the "other brand" is $2,500 for a .44. Thats a touch more than you are likely to spend. The BFR custom shop is getting a bit more than necessary for some of their calibers. :smile: Spending $1,600 for a .44 BFR doesn't make much sense to me, when the "other" brand is maybe $200 more, and won't need grips or sights. In the regular production line, BFR is a great deal, close the gap to within $200, and not such a bargain. A nice rear sight for a BFR is $100....

Frank
08-29-2009, 10:59 PM
44man says
Yeah, the results are what's important to me too, target or dead game. Someone could send it out and get some jewels put on it if they need that. [smilie=p:

44man
08-30-2009, 09:13 AM
Well, by your math, the "other brand" is $2,500 for a .44. Thats a touch more than you are likely to spend. The BFR custom shop is getting a bit more than necessary for some of their calibers. :smile: Spending $1,600 for a .44 BFR doesn't make much sense to me, when the "other" brand is maybe $200 more, and won't need grips or sights. In the regular production line, BFR is a great deal, close the gap to within $200, and not such a bargain. A nice rear sight for a BFR is $100....
Very true! I see no use to spend a bunch for a standard caliber unless all you want is "pretty" but a custom gun would be nice none the less. Depends on how rich you are! :mrgreen:
Sights are OK, the big gripe when shooting IHMSA were the factory Ruger sights needed in production class. I managed a heck of a lot of 39's and 40's plus won Ohio with 79 out of 80 using the junk sights. I had to keep a box full of elevation screws on hand.
Much better to put a red dot on the thing! :drinks:

odis
08-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Well, by your math, the "other brand" is $2,500 for a .44. Thats a touch more than you are likely to spend. The BFR custom shop is getting a bit more than necessary for some of their calibers. :smile: Spending $1,600 for a .44 BFR doesn't make much sense to me, when the "other" brand is maybe $200 more, and won't need grips or sights. In the regular production line, BFR is a great deal, close the gap to within $200, and not such a bargain. A nice rear sight for a BFR is $100....I bought my BFR for two reasons, first I was confident that it would shoot like a dream. Secondly I'm from and live in Minnesota and I wanted to support a local industry. I saw your post on the other thread with the targets and your gun, nice shooting, just like the groups that I got with my BFR shooting 310 gr. leadheads over 22 grs. of Lil' Gun. If there is a complaint that I have with this gun it's that Hogue Mono grips are not available.

dubber123
08-30-2009, 12:44 PM
I bought my BFR for two reasons, first I was confident that it would shoot like a dream. Secondly I'm from and live in Minnesota and I wanted to support a local industry. I saw your post on the other thread with the targets and your gun, nice shooting, just like the groups that I got with my BFR shooting 310 gr. leadheads over 22 grs. of Lil' Gun. If there is a complaint that I have with this gun it's that Hogue Mono grips are not available.

How bad is the recoil? Ever thought of wood grips? http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83/dubber123/IMG_0051.jpg A set on a BFR, my brothers .475 Linebaugh.

Glad to see you supporting a U.S. company. I'm sure your .45 is a beauty, but I can't understand why they charge so much more than for their regular production .454. It's the same cylinder, just shorter chambers. :???: I could see maybe $100 more for their inconvenience. How was the trigger from the custom shop? We had to do the one on my brothers gun. 2.0# now, and it is really nice to shoot.

Frank
08-30-2009, 01:15 PM
I can't understand why they charge so much more than for their regular production .454. It's the same cylinder, just shorter chambers. I could see maybe $100 more for their inconvenience.
How about if Freedom Arms builds a gun for $1600 and includes a target? They can include the cheap grips.

odis
08-30-2009, 01:50 PM
How bad is the recoil? Ever thought of wood grips? http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83/dubber123/IMG_0051.jpg A set on a BFR, my brothers .475 Linebaugh.

Glad to see you supporting a U.S. company. I'm sure your .45 is a beauty, but I can't understand why they charge so much more than for their regular production .454. It's the same cylinder, just shorter chambers. :???: I could see maybe $100 more for their inconvenience. How was the trigger from the custom shop? We had to do the one on my brothers gun. 2.0# now, and it is really nice to shoot.
It's not so much the recoil it's the way I like to shoot. I've had a Ruger Black Hawk in .45 since 1975 and never really liked the single action grip, but once I got the mono grips I can't find a reason to pick up my Red Hawk any more. The BFR is for the heavy stuff and I'm ok with the factory grips, just like the monos better. I really like the look of finely figured and fitted wood or ivory I just like my grip on the gun to stay constant. The extra cost is for making up a cylinder from scratch, the other ones are factory cylinders that are all ready but not fitted. The gap on mine is just a little less than 2 thou.

odis
08-30-2009, 02:21 PM
By the way the trigger pull is very good, better than my black hawk which has had a trigger job and thousands of rounds through it.

44man
08-31-2009, 08:21 AM
Those are pretty grips Dubber, but with my large knuckle, the trigger guard would still get me. I need a filler behind them.

dubber123
08-31-2009, 06:28 PM
Those are pretty grips Dubber, but with my large knuckle, the trigger guard would still get me. I need a filler behind them.

This gun does nibble a bit...;) It usually takes 30 rounds or so to get through the skin, which is about all I care to shoot one anyways. I wouldn't want to shoot a silhouette match with one. :D Even with the Blackhawk grip, I find this gun MUCH more pleasant to shoot than mine though.

Frank
09-01-2009, 11:08 AM
odis wrote
Secondly I'm from and live in Minnesota and I wanted to support a local industry.
What industry are you referring to?

44man
09-01-2009, 11:20 AM
odis wrote
What industry are you referring to?
Magnum Research.

odis
09-01-2009, 01:27 PM
odis wrote
What industry are you referring to?Iron ore.

use enough gun
09-02-2009, 06:42 AM
About the only complaint I've got with my BFR is the trigger guard is to small. I'm from Minnesota too and I can't get my gloved finger inside the trigger guard. I do a lot of fox/coyote hunting in the winter. Temps are often -20 or lower when I'm out and about. Dave:Fire:

44man
09-02-2009, 08:45 AM
About the only complaint I've got with my BFR is the trigger guard is to small. I'm from Minnesota too and I can't get my gloved finger inside the trigger guard. I do a lot of fox/coyote hunting in the winter. Temps are often -20 or lower when I'm out and about. Dave:Fire:
Made the mistake in Ohio on a running deer with my flintlock. I set the trigger and was just swinging on the deer when my glove set it off! :veryconfu
I bought those mittens where the front finger section will fold back and a magnet holds it in place at the wrist. They work like a charm.

Four Fingers of Death
09-02-2009, 09:28 AM
I'm flatout getting my fingers in most trigger guards, let alone a gloved finger. I also use the fingerless gloves with the mitten end. When I was in teh tank corps, we used to be sitting a lot in freezing temps and used to use kid gloves and big mittens. We had a grenade pin and ring (sans grenade :) ) sewn onto the weakside front of our jacket/tanksuit wheatever. We had a hook sewn onto the end of the mitten. It was a smile matter to quickly reach across and hang the mitten on the ring, freeing up the warm hand to do some work. You could do the same with velcro nowadays, or just use your teeth.

shooterg
09-02-2009, 12:40 PM
FWIW- The Hogue grips with the finger grooves for a Super Blackhawk fit on my friend's .45-70 BFR . He likes 'em much better than the factory ones w/o the finger grooves. Less than $20 too !

odoh
09-02-2009, 01:51 PM
I use the Finger Grooved hogues (for SBH) on both BFRs. Handles well and comfortable. On the newer guns one may need to use a dremel tool to fit to the grip frame. Not a major issue really.

Louhikaarme
09-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Hi

Well I have only one BFR at the moment...

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc17/Louhikaarme/OurBFR500.jpg

BFR .500

Jbar4Ranch
09-16-2009, 10:47 AM
I use a 405 cast bullet and 26.0 grains of 2400 for about 1350 fps. I've used up to 30.0/2400, but 26.0 gives me better groups.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/BFRleather015.jpg

Frank
09-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Louhikaarme, welcome! 8-)

Frank
09-17-2009, 01:07 AM
JBar4Ranch
Is that a belt holster? Nice scenery too. Mmmm, just love those BFR's and nice leather.

Jbar4Ranch
09-17-2009, 01:29 AM
I originally was going to build it as a belt holster, but then narrowed the loop a bit to fit a bandoleer holster rig I already had for a S&W X-frame. It can be used either way. The view from up here is fantastic - sometimes I forget how lucky I am to have a few hundred acres where I can just step out the door and start shootin'.