PDA

View Full Version : 38 case flares

jballs918
04-07-2006, 04:12 PM
just wondering what these should be. i have the expander. i set it up like lee said is that all i have to do

slughammer
04-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Lots of different forms of expanders on dies, hard to give an exact number for size. You should try seating some boolits. You should be able to get the boolit to sit straight on the case mouth and you should be able to seat it without shaving lead. Too much extra and you're overworking the brass.

Hardest part may be setting the crimp on a combination seat/crimp die. If you have the crimp coming in too soon you will shave lead also. Don't let it confuse you about how the expander is set up. It's easiest to set one feature at a time. Back off the die so it doesn't crimp, and let it just seat the boolits. After you have 10-20 seated without shaving, you can back off the seating stem and then set the crimp. Once you have the crimp where you want it, just crank the seating stem back down to where it was.

Bucks Owin
04-09-2006, 10:24 AM
The main thing I do is use as little flare as possible so as to get the longest case life. Excessive flaring and crimping causes cases to split at the mouth from "work hardening"....

FWIW,

Dennis