PDA

View Full Version : Gas check boolits w/ no gas checks.

S.R.Custom
04-07-2006, 11:47 AM
As someone who hunts and shoots more than he works (hey, a man has to have his priorities right), I have to make the most of my shooting dollar. That said, I'm looking for a 44M mold that "does it all," and by that I mean is it possible to use a gas check style bullet without the gas check and still obtain acceptable results in terms of accuracy?

To wit: I am considering this mold (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=582956) for both full power loads with gaschecks, and what I call "utility loads" in my Super Blackhawk. Utility loads are quenched WW boolits w/ no gas checks pushed to 900 FPS or so. Has anyone experimented along these lines?

454PB
04-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Though I don't have that particular mould, I do have about 5 different .44 gas checked moulds. Those boolits shoot fine without a gas check, as long as velocity is held down to the 1100 fps range or lower. My experience has been that gas checked boolits without the gas check applied seem to lead at a lower pressure/velocity range than the same design without the stepped area for the gas check.

Dale53
04-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Who needs gas checks? I don't need no stinking gas checks!!:Fire:

If Elmer Keith doens't need gas checks, then I don't. :-D Frankly, I have not had trouble with leading in either the .357 magnum nor .44 magnum with Keith style bullets and alox/beeswax. I have shot .32 mag 120 gr bullets to 1700 fps with plain bases without leading or accuracy problems (still working with that carbine). I shoot Schuetzen rifles at 1500 fps with precision and we are RESTRICTED to plain base.

So, if you are not using in a rifle with their much higher velocities, I see little need for the additional effort and expense.

YMMV
Dale53

jeff223
04-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Supermag maybe you should check out this group buy im running.this boolit mold may be just the ticket for you
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=4648

this 44 mold deal will be running for awhile yet

MT Gianni
04-07-2006, 08:44 PM
A few years ago Saeco made this in a plain base design, and they may still do. I would check Graf and son's and some others to see if this is still stocked. I find a plain based LY 429421 meets 85% of my needs in 44 Mag and Special. Gianni.

Bucks Owin
04-07-2006, 10:28 PM
I use an RCBS mould for a 225 GC bullet in my .44 and have no leading problems shooting it "plainbase" at reduced velocity in plinking loads of around 850-900 fps. With a GC this bullet will move out at almost 1600 fps in my 10" barrelled Blackhawk....

FWIW,

Dennis