View Full Version : Source for 1/4" Ratchet Wrenches

Leadmine
04-07-2006, 11:47 AM
I could use a few, any good sources?

Thanks!

LEADmine

StarMetal
04-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Sears...had to beat Craftsman. If you like Snap-on but don't want to pay the high price go to Lowes and buy their Krytonite brand I believe it is...Snap-on makes them. If you want el cheapo go to Harbor Freight or Northern Tools.

Joe

fourarmed
04-07-2006, 12:00 PM
If you are talking about the cheap sheetmetal ones that come with a Lyman lubrisizer, I don't know. When the one with my old 450 gave up the ghost, I went to Sears and bought a Craftsman. I put on a cheap socket and am set for life.

mooman76
04-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Home Depot or Lowe's or any good hardware store should have them or even a auto store!

montana_charlie
04-07-2006, 02:28 PM
If what you are referring to is the ratchet used to feed lube through a Lyman lubrisizer...

It is made by Chapman Manufacturing Company. I've had a set of gunsmithing screwdrivers for about 35 years which includes that identical tool.

There are lots of places which carry Chapman, but here is the manufacturer's website. Click the 'Products' button on the left.
http://www.chapmanmfg.com/
CM

Duckiller
04-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Harbor Tool and Freight or a table with cheap tools at a gun show or swap meet. I have two Lymans with only one official wrench. Got a cheap one at last gun show,=. Probably should have got two or three.
Duckiller

carpetman
04-07-2006, 03:23 PM
If you mean the ratchet for a luber--RCBS will supply em free. I really hate getting things that way but they don't seem to accept payment.

Leadmine
04-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Yes, I was referering to the lubricator, Chapman style wrenches. Thanks for the tips!

donald duck
03-29-2011, 05:02 PM
When I need an extra socket or wrench I head for a good pawn shop and they usually have boxes of assorted sizes and makes. Pick out what sizes you need and always pick out a few extra things and go to counter and make an offer. They are usually ready to let them go for a fairly good price.

troyboy
03-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Just to clear the KOBALT issue. They used to be made by Williams they are owned by Snap On. They were never made by SO but they used to be American Made by Williams. That is no longer the case now. Their wrenches are USA but the rest is Chinese. Sears is starting to do the same. You really have to read the label before you buy. Sorry to highjack the post but I felt clairafication was needed. As for the 1/4 rachet.....Brownells

mtgrs737
03-29-2011, 06:02 PM
I bought a couple from Chapman via ebay. Go to ebay and type in 180540468738 in the search box. They are $4.50 each and $2 for the first one for shipping, each additional one is $1 extra shipping. Get a spare!

BCall
03-29-2011, 08:42 PM
If you mean the ratchet for a luber--RCBS will supply em free. I really hate getting things that way but they don't seem to accept payment.

Last time I spoke to RCBS, they said the wrenches for the LAM were no longer available as the LAM II doesn't use them.

Chapman is the easiest way to get them. YMMV, Billy

jcwit
03-29-2011, 09:11 PM
Chapman is the way to go, but an alternative is Harbor Freight, its a little kit with a few (5 I think) drivers and the ratchet.

Gee_Wizz01
03-30-2011, 09:50 AM
My Lyman wrench lasted for about 6 years, when it died, I went to sears and bought a ratcheting box end wrench. That was about 30 years and the Craftsman has lubed to many thousands of boolits for me to count. Seriously the Craftsman ratcheting box end is on the shelf at the local Sears for $8.49. The craftsman is more robust and has a longer handle and works great.

G

C.F.Plinker
03-30-2011, 10:09 AM
The ratcheting box end wrench that Gee Wizz01 mentioned is the way to go. I replaced my original wrench with one because it is longer and gives better leverage for lubes that don't quite want to flow. I wish I had thought of it much sooner.

deltaenterprizes
03-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Home Depot has a set made by General that would work also. A small 6 point box end wrench is another option.

jlchucker
04-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Bond Auto store brand ratchets work good, and carry the same guarantee as Craftsman. They are cheap enough that I have one, with a couple of my most used size of sockets, permanently at my loading bench to use for adjusting Lee "Perfect" powder measures and for use on my Lyman 450 lubricator.