PDA

View Full Version : 45 Acp Revolver Loads

Keith DVM
08-25-2009, 10:50 AM
I have been shooting a Smith and Wesson 625 and find that it will shoot any of the fast to midrange powders very well with an LBT LFN for the acp cartridge. I have a supply of Alliant Power Pistol which I have found works very well in the 45 Colt. Has anyone used Power Piston in the 45 acp or autorim with 240 to 250 grain cast bullets, or know of a manual with the starting loads. All of the resources I have, list loads only for jacketed bullets with this powder. I would think that the burn rate of Power Pistol being just a bit slower than Unique would work well with cast bullets and be easier to meter.

Char-Gar
08-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Keith... I hate to see your post with no answers. I have shot many rounds through 45 ACP pistols over the years, but never with the powders your menton. I use mostly Bullseye and Uique with a little 231 and AA5.

You should have no problems using loading manual charges even though they are for jacketed bullets. Just use the starting loads and not the maximum loads. YOu can creep up a tad if you feel the need as you go.

AnthonyB
08-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Keith:
I have fired several thousand rounds of WLP, RCBS 230CM and 7.0 grains Power Pistol. Never chronographed it, but seems equal to or a little warmer than factory ball. I have an ammo can full of that load in the house now. Tony

Dframe
08-27-2009, 01:35 PM
I have fired thousands of 45 ACPs and autorims but unfortunately have never used power piston.
I've used almost every other powder there is, and lately have been using a lot of trail boss. Nice mild plinking and target load with a cast 200 grain boolit.