PDA

View Full Version : Ruger #1?

2ndAmendmentNut
08-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Hey everyone,

Just curious as to opinions on the Ruger #1. Like the look of the gun but never shot one. How are they right out of the box? How’s trigger pull and accuracy (after barrel break in of course)? What are common modifications or upgrades that #1 owners do besides attaching a scope? I have yet to decide on a caliber, but the 308win and 45-70 are at the top right now.

Potsy
08-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Careful, you are cruising headlong into an addiction.
I never thought I'd have more than one gun that nice. I've got two and almost bought another about a month ago.
I've got a 1A 7x57 and a .45-70. They point like birdguns and definitely shoot minute of deer. I've never done much load development with either but the 7mm has never fired a group over 1-1/2" @ 100 and the .45-70 is hanging around 3/4" @ 50 (with iron sights).
Trigger pull on the 7mm is 4.5 lbs but breaks clean, the .45-70 is lighter but I think it had been worked over before I bought it.
Some folks re work the forend bedding which can be a little touch and go from the factory, but mine shoot very well enough for what they were intended. I could be a little more demanding but neither is my go to groundhog rig.
I've never fooled with the 1B's or Varmint models, but the lighter ones are a joy to pack and point.

Gerry N.
08-25-2009, 04:55 AM
I've had one in .308 Win since Christmas Day, 1968. It's my deer rifle. It is the only rifle in my collection that will never be for sale. Great shooting rifle, easy to carry, amazingly easy to hit with. Mine wears a Weaver K4 that was installed on it in January of 1969. From a bench it will put the first shot out of a clean cold barrel into the 10 ring at 100 yards every time. After that it begins stringing the shots up 1 1/2" and groups them at 2". So mine's not a target rifle, but if I get a clear shot out to 300 yds or so, at a deer, I can figure on liver and onions that night in camp.

Gerry N.

Tom W.
08-25-2009, 06:38 AM
I have two #1B, one in 7mm Rem Mag, the other rechambered to 30/06 A.I. I had the safeties relieved a bit so my empties wouldn't catch on them, added Limbsavers to both, to the '06 I had the trigger worked on , and on the 7 mag I replaced the trigger with a Moyers, and had it adjusted really light. With my handloads they both shoot very well, even my case forming loads in the A.I. are capable of hitting where I aim @ 200 yards. Surprised the devil out of me....

6pt-sika
08-25-2009, 08:49 AM
I had 1V's in 220 , 6mm and 25-06 about 20 years ago that shot great but I kinda lost intrest in them .About 10 years ago I had a 1B in 22-250 and a 1H in 375 H&H MAG and again I kinda lost intrest even though they shot very nicely .

Now I have another 1V in 220 as well as a 22-250AI . A 1H in 416 REM MAG and 1B's in 22 Hornet , 243 , 6mm , 257 Roberts , 280 and 270 Weatherby . I think this time they may just stick around a good long while .

cajun shooter
08-25-2009, 08:51 AM
I have owned 2 #1's. A 22-250 varmit model and a 7 mm Mag 1B. Both guns had forearm tension problems when first shot. It was at one time expected on #1's and many articles were written about it. Once cured the rifle is a tack driver. Mine would blow up crows at 250 yds and beyond. It's bbl was finally done in by a friend who borrowed it for a praire dog trip. The 7 Mag took and filled my freezer every year with more deer meat than we could eat. There is a certain pleasure that one gets when shooting single shot rifles that can not be described. If it's in your blood then you will pursue it. I now favor the 1874 Sharps for my shooting with BP but the #1 is still in my heart. Later David

BruceB
08-25-2009, 09:41 AM
It seems that I'm in very good company here, because I too am a true devotee of the #1 rifle.

It's a throwback to the wonderful British single-shots of the early smokeless-powder era. Although it's modern in all senses of the word, its probably the finest-looking single-shot ever built. I prefer the appearance and handling of the #1 to any other single-shot I ever seen or handled, including those which cost four or five times as much (or more), AND the old British singles.

I have to admit that stainless steel and laminated stocks do nothing for me. Still, the mere fact that such #1s seem to sell rather well implies that SOME shooters are fighting the traditional approach even though they like the single-shot. Heh....we'll get 'em yet! Blue steel and nice walnut are the "proper" garb for such rifles.

I'd hunt anything, anywhere, with a #1 of a proper and relevant chambering....without a qualm or question in my heart.

The last two rifles I've bought are about as far from the #1 as it's possible to get. A Mini-14 (blue/walnut) and a DSA FAL (blue/walnut...yes, on an FAL) have taken up residence in the last month or so. It may be time for a companion to my .416 Rigby #1H. I am distinctly poor in the #1 department right now.

docone31
08-25-2009, 10:07 AM
I loved mine.
I had a #1 Tropical in .375 H&H. I removed the spring ejector so I had to physically remove the brass. It is expensive. I installed a Triple Field Pad, oiled the daylights out of the stock, rebarreled it with a series 99 A&B barrel. I had a trigger job done on it. While rebarreling it, I had a colour case hardening on the reciever. I jeweled the block.
It was a good, fast pointing, with the heavy barrel good shooting rifle. I had express sights installed. Not so good for target work, but, would work well in the field.
It seems to be a rough copy of the Farquarson.
With the large calibers, it can be punishing, but, with two rounds in the hand, you can get off three fast shots that will hit well.
I really loved that rifle!
It is a good, solid, good feeling rifle. Something about single shots.
Well worth the money.
Laminated never got me, so I always lean towards conventional woods stocks.
The field pad did make a difference. The strip of rubber pad hurt after 10 rds of .375 H&H.
If I did it this time, I would go 30-06.

9.3X62AL
08-25-2009, 11:15 AM
One #1 here, in 45-70. SUPERB. It is a cast boolit machine, once you get boolits fat enough to fit (.459" throat and grooves). Eight-groove right pitch of about 1-20" or 22", "Government Ballseat", land height is .449". With aperture irons, It will do 1.25"-1.5" with castings at 100 yards all day long.

The rifle is strong enough to contain some pretty stout loads. Rest assured, your shoulder will give out long before the action will--given the rifle's weight of 7.25#. I have come to enjoy 1873-level load duplicators, 405 grain boolits running 1300-1350 FPS. These subjectively feel like heavy trap loads in a fine double gun, and both Marie and the kids can fire them and enjoy the ride. That such loads can make venison or tip over elk with good placement is beside the point.......they are all-day target intensity, if ya don't mind spending the lead.

One of my first centerfire rifles was a Ruger #3 in 223. That critter could SHOOT, and it laid Sierra Matchking 52s into repetitious rosettes with boring consistency. A #3 in 30-40 Krag showed up at a local shop recently, and I was in no financial condition to snag it--oh, well. One That Got Away.

2ndAmendmentNut
08-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Both guns had forearm tension problems when first shot.

Could someone please clarify what this means? What is the cure? How much does it cost or is it a do it your self project? My guess by the sound of it is that the forehand is too tight on the barrel, causing accuracy problems, but I really have no idea.

TDC
08-26-2009, 02:19 AM
Careful, you are cruising headlong into an addiction.<snip>

2ndAmendmentNut,

I sincerely doubt you will hear many, if any, negative comments about the Ruger #1. I've owned 4 #1's for over 35 years and they are the only rifles I own I'd never consider selling. I started out with a 1B .270, then a 1V 22-250, then a 1B 7mm Mag, and finally a 375H&H. Still own um....

Many of the earlier #1's had fabulous wood figure. The fit and finish was outstanding on all.

When I bought the .270, friends wondered why I'd buy a hunting rifle that was limited to one shot. The limiting issue spoke for itself, as did the novelty of owning a falling block action in the old Farquharson tradition, Now many of those same critics own #1's, and hunt with them too.

I agree with Potsy.... If you buy one prepare for a new firearm addiction...

Terry

Doc_Stihl
08-26-2009, 08:36 AM
If you're considering a #1, take a look at an encore.

James C. Snodgrass
08-26-2009, 09:03 AM
2nd , What they are talking about is the pressure between the forearm hanger which also houses the main spring . There have been a number of articles written about it over the years . A company by the name of Hicks made or still makes a device that allows a person to adjust the pressure between the hangar and barrel . I only have one #1 currently it is the tropical in 458 Lott . I have had no problems with it at all it will shoot M.O.A with cast or j- word boolits . James

BruceB
08-26-2009, 09:25 AM
"If you're considering a #1, take a look at an encore."

Jeez, Doc......there is NO comparison.

The Encore is workable, but comparing it to a #1 is like comparing a New York taxi to a Rolls Royce.

The Encore is flat-out ugly, and I wouldn't give one house-room even as a gift. It is designed for the shooter who wants utility and variety at a minimal price, and I've met quite a few folks who have them. Most have moved on to better things; one gent here had an Encore with SEVEN barrels and he got very tired of it all. Barrels aren't rifles, and he wanted RIFLES. He also found a very poor market when he tried selling it.

In my limited experience with them, it's been difficult in the extreme to warm up to the design. One gent I hunted with for almost three weeks last fall had an Encore with three barrels (.270, .30-06, .338), and none of them shot at all well even from a benchrest with good scopes.

My personal reaction to seeing an Encore is......ick. If it floats anyone else's boat, so be it. Just don't expect nice comments from me.

Doc_Stihl
08-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Oh, I didn't realise it was a sophistication/taste comparison. I thought it was a question about a single shot rifle. Glad to know where you stand on Encores, I'll file that in the round folder.

Specifics to check with the No1 is throat/chamber alignment with the bore.

cajun shooter
08-26-2009, 10:09 AM
2nd, It's the forearm tension screw. Not all guns had the problem but there was a time in the history of production that almost all guns had it. The forearm screw would cause the rifle to string shots. Sometimes you could just loosen the screw and wallah!! it would become a tack driver. As I stated in my first posting there were several articles written about how to fix this problem. There are still old guns out there with the problem I'm sure. The owners probably thought it was a piece of junk and sold or traded them off. If you do a search I'm sure you can find the info. Several people had the fix in many different ways and for the most part they all worked. It messed with the barrel harmonics.

Potsy
08-26-2009, 10:47 AM
The old #1's also had the infamous Wilson Barrels, some of which were a problem (per Doc Stihl's comment about chamber/bore alignment). I don't have any experience here, but what I've gathered is while there were some problems, they weren't terribly common and often could be cured with a little judicious handloading (oversize chambers, long throats, etc.). The Ruger built barrels have a good reputation.

A couple of friends of mine are pretty heavy into Encores, they are more "hunters" than "gun guys". They shoot good and being able to swap barrels is handy.
But they're both amazed when they put one of my #1's up to their shoulder.
One of them is currently saving his money......

gcf
08-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Could someone please clarify what this means? What is the cure? How much does it cost or is it a do it your self project? My guess by the sound of it is that the forehand is too tight on the barrel, causing accuracy problems, but I really have no idea.

There is a correct method for fitting the forend to the rifle, that essentially entails receiver contact points (rear sides), receiver clearance points (rear bottom), barrel clearance (full length on sides), & barrel contact upper pressure (forward tip). If done correctly, there is no need for aftermarket hangers, or glass work.

For what ever reason, this does not always get done correctly at the factory.

Earlier this year, I purchased a NIB No.1-A in 7x57. Shortly after taking delivery, I noticed a problem w/ the barrel crown, and so sent the rifle - w/ a diplomatically worded letter, back to the factory for warranty service.

I can only assume the letter got the attention of the right individule, because on top of of a new barrel, they re-stocked the rifle w/ select grade wood. Got the whole thing done in record turn around time too.

During the course of this service, I had the opportunity to pick the brain of the gentleman that performed the work, & he described the correct factory "bedding" procedure - as outlined above. That little tidbit of info, may be worth its weight in gold.

Turned out to be a pretty good shooter, w/ handloads grouping into 1/2" - 3/4".

I will say that from what I've seen, the new hammer forged No.1 barrels are very accurate, but need to be to shot in - as they foul a bit at first. I've got about 150 rounds down the tube at this point, & have noticed bore cleanup gets easier after every range session. I expect velocity will pick up w/ time, as well.

If you are a hand loader, appreciate classic design rifles, & get some range time in w/ a good No.1 - you will pretty much be hooked for life. Trust me on that...

Dogg
08-27-2009, 03:52 PM
HAd a No.1 in 375H&H back in the late 70s and like an idiot traded it in 1992. Had very nice wood, way nicer than the current No.1s. Never really hunted with it other than shooting ground hogs and take my word for it a ground hog does not hold up well to the 375H&H.
Now almost 20 years late I decided that needed another because as has been said a number of times in the previous threads, there is just something about the way they look and feel and they do feel good, go to the shoulder like no bolt action rifle ever did. Anyway I like big bores so bought a .458mag and am currently looking to have it converted to a Lott with a shorter throat and then plan on shooting lead boolits through it. If I could find one and afford it would love to get an octogon barrel at about 28" for it and basically have a modern version of the 45/110.

part_timer
08-27-2009, 08:04 PM
I have a 416 rem mag and wouldn't trade it for anything. I'd like to have one in a 218 bee for some reason I can't explain.

hoosierlogger
08-27-2009, 08:45 PM
I shot a guys #1 at the range the other day. It was in 45-70 Deadly accurate at 100 yds with his hand loads. Trigger pull was very crisp and smooth, not too firm yet not too soft. I now want to get one.

No_1
08-27-2009, 09:38 PM
The mystic of the single shot falling block design is something that many fall in love with. I have and have had a few #1's and #3's. Currently I have a #1 in 6mm Rem, #3's in 45-70, 375 Win, 44 mag and recently sold my 30-40 Krag (first #3) to fellow cast boolit member Typecaster. They all are fantastic guns but you must realized their ability and short comings. Do a google search and you will learn a lot.

I noticed the mention of checking out the Thompson series (Contenders & Encores). I fell for that one too thinking that I could do more for less money. Don't be fooled. After picking up 5 frames and about 2 dozen barrels I have concluded that a full on Contender / Encore cost about the same as a #1 when you consider custom barrels alone are upwards of $400 and when you add a few more $$ for a good set of scope bases you are right at the price (if you search hard) of a #1.

Robert

beagle
08-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Got four of the beasties right now.

A 375 H & H which is good for 1-1/2" at 100 yards, a 30/06 which is good for less that 1" at 100 yards, a .223 which is a 1" rifle and a custom .38-55 which will shoot 1" with about any bullet I feed it. I like 'em.

They do have their faults as has been mentioned and forend bedding is one. Another is they have a very slow lock time hence a Mould hammer spring kit is in order. The triggers are so-so but can be tuned or replaced by a Moyer adjustable or if you got deep pockets...a Keplinger single set trigger. The last beef is the eye releif with high power scopes is hard to get right. Seems like there never enough adjustment even with extension rings.

They're a bear to reassemble and normally, I clean all four at once because I forget how to put them back together if I do them one at a time but this is an operator problem.

They're great rifles and if you're willing to overlook the things above and work with them, you'll love them. Everyone should have one...or two...or three./beagle

broomhandle
08-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Hi Guys,

I have one that makes me CRAZY !30-06):veryconfu

Some time I cannot miss, other days the target looks like a shotgun pattern!
Fooled with the hanger screw, took the forend off & shot it.
I'm using the SAME loads each time! The load shoots well in my other two
30-06's ALL the time!

I do let the thin barrel cool between 5 shot groups.

Have switched out the scopes & shot with iron sights TOO! Depending on the day it's good or just UGLY!

I did clear a little wood from one side of the forend, it did not make any change one way or the other.
I can slip a dollar bill into the gap on both sides of the barrel/ forend with no problems.

Do you guys have any secrets for tuning a #1

Best,
broom

Frank46
08-27-2009, 10:48 PM
I've a ruger #1 in 45/70. Actually looks kinda business like when you load her up with a 500gr cast boolit and then to proceed to launch it down range. Velocity was about 1200 fps so no sound breaking missile flying through the air. Only real bitch I have about it is that ruger should have started them out with 28" long barrels when they first came out. They would have a trouble selling them then. Still the stock line could have been raised to be more scope friendly. I say this as when I shoulder my ruger and look through the irons I'm basically looking at the center of the breech block. The stock is a bit too long by about an inch I have to climb over the stock to use the scope. I do like the alexander henry forend on my #1. Need to do some serious casting and put that group buy mold we did for the Fat .462 400 grain bullet.And find a better way of storing ingots. Having 300lbs in a plastic pail does not make them any easier to move them around. Am thinking seriously of mounting a redfield olympic target sight somehow and a globe frong sight. The crappy irons you get with rugers don't amount to a hill of beans. Frank

craigf
08-27-2009, 11:35 PM
I have a .458WM and like it a lot, mainly becuase I can shoot everything from round ball to 520 grain Lee's. There are though a lot of things I didn't like that I've either changed or are planning on doing. I stripped the awful polyurethane stock finish and now have a silky smooth oil finish. The trigger needed work and the Williams rear sight does not look the part. The safety seems to have been designed by Stevie Wonder and the LOP is not enough. I would suggest though that if you go for the model with the foresight, that you go for one or the large .45 calibers. Ruger have stuck with a one-sight-fits-all policy, hence, the front sight on the .22 calibers say looks like a big blob of playdough.

Uncle R.
08-28-2009, 12:07 AM
Well - this has been an interesting thread. I've always admired the looks of the #1 but I've never owned one. Most of the stuff I've read about 'em over the years has led me to expect less than great accuracy. I've read about the forend hanger issues - I've read about the barrel quality issues, I've met and talked to shooters who were disappointed, and heard that Ruger's response to their complaints was "3 MOA? It meets our standards. Go away." That didn't surprise me much - I've owned a few Ruger centerfire rifles over the years and they've ranged from "not particularly great" to "downright atrocious" in accuracy.
<
My gunschmidt buddy says some Rugers shoot really, really good...
His exact words were closer to "They'll either shoot like crap or really, really good. There's no in-between." Guess I just never got lucky - and I got tired of feeling like a gambler bucking a stacked deck when I bought a rifle. I've pretty much reached the personal conclusion "If you want accuracy, don't buy a Ruger rifle."
<
I'm frankly surprised to read in this thread about so many #1s that shoot MOA or better. I've been tempted by their looks before but I've always managed to resist because I like accurate rifles and I didn't expect to find it in a Ruger. Maybe I'll have to look at 'em again - maybe even give in to the temptation. Heck - the worst that can happen is I get burned one more time... [smilie=b:
<
Uncle R.

PatMarlin
08-28-2009, 12:08 AM
I've got a 70's vintage 1B in 300 win mag. It is one tack drivin' piece of iron, but what I like the most is the balance of the rifle. It's probably the quickest to put up and on target of all my rifles.

Clover leafs off the bench at 100.

I've shot 3" groups- off hand pretty consitantly at 100. Copper.

Reverend Recoil
08-28-2009, 01:41 AM
I only have one Ruger No.1, caliber 9.3x74R. It knocks the squeel right out of wild hogs. I would like one in 458 Win Mag but now the only 45 calibers are 45-70 or 458 Lott. I don't need a 458 Lott and the brutal recoil. A 458 Win with cast bullet loads would be just right for me or the hogs.

rockrat
08-28-2009, 10:47 AM
RR, I can tell you where there is one , used , in 458mag. Friend used to have one. I have one the the Wilson barrel ones, in 45-70, don't shoot it as it wanders about a foot from shot to shot, but its a Liberty year gun, so its in the safe. After that, I have the 357Max, 7.62 x 39, 35 Whelen, 405win, 375 H&H and 50-70govt.
The Max (I did the rechamber) is an amazing gun. I can stick a 180gr boolit at 2400fps, but unfortunately, the best grouping is a J-word at about 1.5" at 100. Most all shoot 1.5 @100, but if they had a better trigger pull, it would shrink. The only complaint I have about the gun is the trigger.

Gunfixer
08-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Dogg... you didnt happen to trade it at the Austin TX gun show downtown in 92 ????
I picked up the same type there 375 H&H, great wood early 70's vintage. Shot Win super X 270 gr 3 shots in 1 big hole @100 yds. Been playin with Hdy 225 sp J-words ( varmint load) Just got a lyman 375449(?) 268 gr mould in and cant wait to try it.
Got to get down below 105* F first.

Maven
08-28-2009, 04:00 PM
broomhandle, C.E. Harris (NRA, CBA, Ed's Red creator, etc.) used to work for Ruger and wrote an article about the #1's in "American Rifleman" some years ago. He said that if you got one that consistently shot 1.5" or less @ 100 yds., you should consider yourself lucky. Part of the problem was the fore end hangar, the rest was the variable quality of the barrels Ruger used. Now having said this, I must also say that I own one (.243Win.) and I've only seen 2 others (.30-06's, one with a bull bbl.) and all three shot extremely well with jacketed bullets. In the .243Win., cast bullets shoot into < 1.5" @ 100 yds., sometimes into <1". Btw, I discovered that the fore end on my rifle was screwed on so tightly that it wore the blueing off the bbl. where it made contact. You may want to try the very inexpensive fore end fix of using one of those ~3/4" x 3/4" flat plastic things that you find on [plastic] bread loaf bags to supply the "proper" tension: Cut it to fit the flat at the bottom of the hanger and use contact cement to hold it in place, then screw the fore end in place.

Dogg
08-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Gunfixer, wasn't my gun traded it in Upstate NY for a Belgium Browning .338mag..Still have the Browning and have only shot it once but it on of those with the claw extractor and gold filled scroll work. To be hones though really wish I had the No1 instead!

Marlin Junky
08-28-2009, 06:31 PM
I would consider buying a #1 in .375H&H if I knew for sure it had enough throat to handle castings from the readily available molds, seated out so the lube wouldn't be below the case neck. Since #1's in .375H&H have 12" twists, I would also hope that 300 to 350 grain boolits can be chambered. If not, I think I'll just have a custom 280 grain mold cut to fit my .350RM. :-)

MJ

GOPHER SLAYER
08-28-2009, 07:05 PM
I have a #1 which is currently wearing a Win. Natl. Match barrel,chambered in 30-30. It also has a Canjor set trigger. While I have several very nice single shot rifles,it will probably be the last one to go. I have one minor complaint. The screw that holds it all together tends to back out of the side of the action during each shooting session. I am aware that I could put lock-tite on it I always seem to forget once I get home. Oh well , as I said it's only a miner complaint.

big dale
08-29-2009, 08:43 AM
During the 70's I bought a used Number 1-v that had been rebarrelled to a 25 Super that always shot from 1/2 to 1/13 inch groups. Had to sell it after I had worn out the barrel and I divorced in 1978. I still wish I had that rifle.

Bought a Number 1-B in 338 Win Mag at a Austin gun show in the mid 80's for 200 bucks. It was pretty rusty and had a bunch of scabbard wear, but always shot 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch groups and beat the hell out of me. After I tired of the recoit I traded it for a Remington700 varmit in 223 that I still have and it is now on it's second barrel.

I have been thinking lately that I need to get another one this time in 45/70.

big Dale

PatMarlin
08-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Here's my circa 1978. It's sportin' a nice old Leupold VariX-III now since the old scope busted me in the eyebrow ...:mrgreen:

Been carried and hunted much with, but not hardly fired. Not normal for such a beautiful rifle. Picked it up in a hawk shop for $300.

I think one day all these Number 1's are gonna be serious collectors.
http://www.westcoastminisplitter.com/1ruger.jpg

GLL
08-29-2009, 01:13 PM
PatMarlin:

How about a close-up photo of that stock ?

BEAUTIFUL !

Jerry

gcf
08-29-2009, 01:21 PM
PatMarlin:

BEAUTIFUL !

Jerry

Mega dittos!

Could it be... No.1 Nirvana??

BIG GUN
08-29-2009, 02:56 PM
I have four #1's. 22-250, 25-06, 300Win Mag, and 458 Win Mag. I love them all but they all required a lot of forend tinkering to make them shoot. It was all hanger problems. The cure is to appoxy a small block of plastic onto the barrel above the forend, relieve a notch on the forend, drill a small screw hole though it and run a screw up though to make contact with the block that can be tweaked.
This will allow you to fine tune the resonance when fireing. It is like the Browning system. All of my rifles now shoot sub minute of angle and they are all 70's-80's mfg. when Ruger sub'd out their barrel sources.

PatMarlin
08-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the compliments. The wood is extrodinary. Probably AAA exhibition grade when new.

It came out of the old west gunshop in redding ca, which is also a hawk shop. The owner told me he had sold the rifle new to it's only one owner, and I guess the guy was wealthy. Wanted a safe queen looker to hunt with. The bore is perfect. The blue is smoothly worn on the reciever just from carrying, and elsewhere like an old collector, but it is not beat in any way,. Unusual.

I think Ruger put some care into this one as it will group 1/2" off the bench at 100 with standard 150 Remington corelokts.

Here's the only other pic I have right now, and some results of a cast boolit load I shot few weeks ago behind the house. Scroll down the page:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=51605

Desmo
08-30-2009, 04:43 PM
I would also seriously look at a Highwall. From the best shops they are at least as good as No 1's and the hammer is about as addictive as the fallingblock.

Clark
09-06-2009, 08:12 AM
I have #1s in 223, 270, and 7mmMag.

Ruger #1s are my favorite rifle to shoot, but not to carry. They are a little heavy.

I would re barrel them all with premium barrels if there was anything wrong, but Ruger seems to put good barrels on most of them. The 270 may get rebarrelled.

I download the 223 to ~218 Bee levels, 33 gr Vmax 15 gr Blue Dot 3500 fps.
It shoots well at 100 shots per hour at rodents.

Shooter6br
09-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Not a classic but I love my Ruger NO 1 in 45-70 It is stainless steel with laminate stock topped with a Leupold 2 x 7 heavy duplex. I shoot cast only

PatMarlin
09-07-2009, 01:35 PM
I coulda bought one in 45-70 with wood almost as nice as my 300win, but I passed bout' 5 years ago,. Definitely a self kickin' in the rear moment.

looseprojectile
09-07-2009, 11:23 PM
With the #1 .375 H&H. This gun has wood a lot like Pat's.
Also the barrel has been cut and Mag-Na-Ported.
I have been having some leading with the plain base 270 grain boolit and reduced the load to get away from that. Chrony said 1300 fps. Very consistient. About 20 fps. ES.
After I got it sighted in [changed scopes] I proceeded to shoot some groups.
After three or four shots the hole didn't get any larger. Ended up with a hole about five eights of an inch in diameter for ten shots at 97 yards.
Now I gotta go load some more. I'll give em even more care now.
Few times in my life has a load come together like this. I'm pumped, had to tell someone.
This is the third .375 H&H #1 I have owned and they all shot really good, no one is getting this one while I am still alive.

Life is good

JRW
09-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Gotta say i've never had a bad #1 or 3. have had several over the years and am now down to three of them. 2 45-70's and a 30-06. one 45 has a custom barrel and match chamber and will shoot jbullets into 2 moa out to 400 yds. gotta get a boolit load for the beast. the 06 has never failed with jbullets on any animal its been properly aimed for. it holds 1-1.5 moa out to 300 yds. past that is sniping yardage, not hunting yardage. if anyone should find a good #3 in 45-70, be careful loading it up to the hotter loads, you may need to see a dentist later! have fun with all that you can find!

BigBore56
09-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Just bought a new in box #1 Stainless in 45-70 this spring. I only shot it 12 rounds (factory jacketet bullets), but it shot low w/iron sights. Called Ruger, and they sent a brand new front sight (shorter). Wow..what service.

Have not had time to mess with it since...beautiful gun/stainless in laminated stock w/scope rings. They shipped it in a "Ruger Anniversary" liimitied edition box for some reason?

Might sell it cheap for someone wanting a good "cast bullet" shooter....that's what I bought it for, but new job responsibilities has eliminated spare time to play. These #1's are just plain good looking, and have a great feel and balance.

dbldblu
09-10-2009, 07:39 PM
I have a #1B in 30-06. It shot great for the first 800 rounds or so but then it started to vertically string. While it came from the factory with the forend properly bedded, the wood at the barrel contact point apparently compressed after that many rounds. I bedded it myself with the 10 lbs contact concept and now it is good again. I originally bought it as I thought it would be a good cast bullet gun. It is a good cast bullet gun but it is very particular. Your bullets need to fit; if they are oversize, you have only your thumb to shove them in = no fun. If they are undersize, they won't shoot well. I wound up making a die for my size die that sizes the nose to .300 and that works but is extra work.

Bad Ass Wallace
09-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Long time before Pedersoli thought of it, I rebarrelled a Ruger No.1 to 38/55 with a 1:12" barrel specifically for shooting cast boolits.

Mounted a Lyman 25x "All American" and shot a custom 340gn boolit with just 16gn 2400. Darn thing averages MOA when the wind isn't chopping too much.

Liked it so much, I rebarrelled another to 45/120 with a 1:14" barrel and mounted another 20X Lyman. Guess I just love punching big holes in paper.

The remaining Ruger is a relatively rare 22PPC 1-V factory rifle.

PatMarlin
09-10-2009, 10:07 PM
I know you got some nice shooters Wallace, cause I seen em;' ...:Fire: