PDA

View Full Version : ? 1st time turkey fryer use

Randall
08-24-2009, 08:35 PM
I tried my turkey fryer and cast iron pot 1st time today,melted WW in about 30 minutes. I had a lot of blue and purple something on top with yellow under it, never saw this before while using my 20 lb Lee pot. The WW clips seemed like they wouldn't come clean from the lead and had a lot of lead stuck to them too.I turned up the heat but that didn't seem to help any either.anyone know what the problem is?

Leadforbrains
08-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Nothing That I know of. Just keep your temperature just above the melting point to keep the zincers from melting. Skim the clips and trash. Flux skim and pour your ingots.

Rick N Bama
08-24-2009, 08:49 PM
I've found that a good fluxing with sawdust & oil will clean most of the lead off the clips. Stinks, but it works.

Rick

Randall
08-24-2009, 09:49 PM
I fluxed with hamburger grease and candle wax,same as I use on the Lee pot. I will see about getting some sawdust.do you use the fine sawdust that floats and settles or the stuff right from the blades?

snaggdit
08-24-2009, 10:05 PM
All sawdust will burn down to carbon. Use what you have on hand.

evan price
08-25-2009, 02:36 AM
If you are getting amber, purple or blue, you are running too hot. A light straw color on top is as hot as you want to go. When it starts turning blue you are going to melt any zinc WWs that might sneak in. Just keep the pot hot enough to melt lead but no more. Flux it well and really stir the crap out of it. I use old motor oil or crayons for flux- they both seem to work well, crayons are less messy.

Marlin Hunter
08-25-2009, 03:01 AM
I tried my turkey fryer and cast iron pot 1st time today,melted WW in about 30 minutes. I had a lot of blue and purple something on top with yellow under it, never saw this before while using my 20 lb Lee pot. The WW clips seemed like they wouldn't come clean from the lead and had a lot of lead stuck to them too.I turned up the heat but that didn't seem to help any either.anyone know what the problem is?

Blue is too hot. you need a thermometer.

You need to flux the pot to get the lead off the clips. Use any cooking grease, vegetable oil, bacon fat, candle wax, or motor oil (new). Flux before removing clips, stir, remove clips, flux again, stir, skim, pour ingots. It will smoke and smell and so will you and your clothes and what is close by.

:lovebooli

randyrat
08-25-2009, 06:47 AM
If you still have lead on your clips, your clips are not hot enough. The clips are burnt looking when i scoop them out and no lead sticks to them.

Just bring the pot up in temp enough to scop any Zinc WWs then push/stir your clips a little to get them hot enough to avoid lead sticking. I think you just need to stir a little to spread the temp out a little.

Flux? there should be enough oil and gunk in you WWs to flux most batches of WWs. If you add a little sawdust to clean you alloy even more, won't hurt anything. Lots of stuff works as a flux.

Blue coloring tells me you mixed in some "stick on WWs" with your "clip on WWs" The softer lead melts at a higher temp than alloyed lead. That may be why you have some lead sticking on the clips.

runfiverun
08-25-2009, 01:34 PM
i usually turn down the heat after they melt put the lid on the pot and let it sit for a minute.
then stir everything and start scooping out the clips they are usually covered in black gunk and dirt by this time.
blue is dang hot, the gold is tin starting to oxidize out.
once i get the clips out the temp has dropped enough to easily determine whether i missed a floater or melted in a zinc one as it will show up as a clump of oatmeal i then flux and start making ingots.

Randall
08-25-2009, 10:17 PM
To make it a little clearer this is what I did.I pulled out a few zinc weights when I got some melting going.I fluxed and stirred and fluxed and stirred but still had lead stuck to the clips so I turned the heat up and got some bright blue and purple.The lead still stuck to the clips.
So I should turn the heat down and stir and flux some more?

Randall
08-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Ok, I melted the ingots from the turkey fryer in my Lee electric pot and got the oatmeal mush on top,I cleaned and fluxed and stirred and got a lot off the top. I have to get a thermometer before I try the turkey fryer again.