PDA

View Full Version : 300 grains in the 356 Winchester

Trailblazer
04-06-2006, 07:30 PM
I tried some bullets from my new NEI 290 grain mold today in the 356 Winchester. They cast up at 295 grains in WW. They went 1893 FPS pushed by 38 grains of BL-C(2). You do know something happened when you pull the trigger! The first three went into .8" at 100 yards. That bullet fits so good! The next two opened the group to about 3". I realized later I was lifting my head off the stock. Apparently three wacks in the cheek bone is my limit!

I also tried some of the Saeco 352's which cast at 252 grains. They went 2008 FPS with 40 grains BL-C(2). Once again the first three grouped good at about 1-1/4" at 100 yards and the next two opened the group to about 3". Can't keep my head down past three.

I am going to have to take a plane to these levergun stocks! My Marlin 30-30 is even worse. I have a long neck and crawl the stock and those sharp little combs beat my cheekbone up.

Both loads are to long to cycle through the action. In fact it is a one way trip into the chamber. They are to long to eject without firing unless you can get them out from under the extractor. I am trying to find out what they will do when loaded the way they should be. 2000 FPS should not be any problem with the 300 grainer and the 250 ought to easily go 2100. Later on I will see what they do when loaded to the right length to cycle through the action. I have been studying the 94 action and I think I can get them to cycle longer ammo pretty easily and that is the real solution.

I also tried some of the Saeco 301's and 311's in my 30-30. The 301's cast at 205 grains and the 311 at 165 grains. I loaded them with BL-C(2), WC846, WC852(slow) and W760. Velocities were all around 1900 FPS. I got a lot of vertical stinging and widely scattered shots. The only one that grouped was the Saeco 301 with W760 load. Four went into 1.3" and the fifth opened the group to 2.4" at 100 yards with a Redfield receiver sight. By then I was keeping my head back so the comb wasn't wacking my cheekbone. That load looks like a keeper!

Frank46
04-07-2006, 02:52 AM
Trailblazer, check out brownells web site. They sell sorbothane ( may be another brand name) pads that attach over the combs of rifle stocks. Think they come in 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4" thicknesses. I shoot the levers also 30-30, 375 win (when I get the group buy mold) 44 mag and the 444 marlin. The only one that bites is the 44 mag. But it sure is fun to watch those 44 caliber holes appear in the target.
Frank

6pt-sika
04-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Trailblazer, I got a 356 in a Marlin 336ER about a month ago. But I have not shot it yet. Plan on trying jacketed in it first , but I'm having definite thoughts of shooting cast in it as well ;)

Trailblazer
04-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Why sully it with jacketed bullets? I have never put a jacketed bullet in mine. It was used so the previous owners took care of that. How are you set for 35 molds? Have you slugged the bore yet? I know some of the members here have had good luck with the RCBS mold in the 35 Marlins. My RCBS mold casts small and it didn't shoot real good. I "Beagled" it to enlarge it and groups shrank by about half.

Frank, the Sorbothane would probably help but then it makes the comb even higher. My cheekbone is still sore. Funny how you don't notice it while you are shooting.

MT Gianni
04-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Is this a version of or similar to Ly's 3589? I have had fair success with saeco 352 in my 356 and good success with the 358629 215 gr but have to seat the saeco inside the powder cavity. I have no comb issues as my friends tell me I have no neck. gianni.

Trailblazer
04-09-2006, 11:30 AM
The nose shape of the NEI is like the Saeco 352, but with a little smaller radius on the ogive. It has three wide driving bands that take up over half the bullet length. It has plenty of surface to keep it aligned with the bore. The nose section casts at .351 to .352" and the driving bands at .360". It fits my 356 perfect! If I seat them to cycle through the action the crimp would fall just past the front driving band. It might work with a full case of powder to keep the bullet from being pushed back into the case. I am going to give it a try. I need to cast more. I only cast a few to see how the mold worked and see how they fit.

I am going to start whittling on my 30-30 stock to see what I need to do to give my cheekbone some relief. It has a crack in it and is kinda beat up and is a pretty plain piece of wood so it is a good piece to experiment with. My 356 stock isn't pristine either since I fell down that shale slide with it!

6pt-sika
04-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Why sully it with jacketed bullets? I have never put a jacketed bullet in mine. It was used so the previous owners took care of that. How are you set for 35 molds? Have you slugged the bore yet? I know some of the members here have had good luck with the RCBS mold in the 35 Marlins. My RCBS mold casts small and it didn't shoot real good. I "Beagled" it to enlarge it and groups shrank by about half.

Frank, the Sorbothane would probably help but then it makes the comb even higher. My cheekbone is still sore. Funny how you don't notice it while you are shooting.

Yes I have the RCBS mold and use it in my Marlin 336SC in 35REM . Killed a deer with that bullet in that gun two seasons ago. Ranchdog just finished a 35 cal mold , I think I will try and get one of those as well . :castmine:

My Marlin 375 and more then likely the 356 will shoot jacketed . I've got a pile of Marlin's and about 60% are strictly for cast . All the old ones and all the Cowboys are for cast . But the Guide Guns , the 375 and the 356 will basically be for jacketed. Although I shoot cast in my 1894CP (thats a 16.25" 357 in GG type).

Forgor earlier I also have a 215 grain SWC that I shoot in that 357, that should work in the 35 or 356 .:drinks: :drinks:

Trailblazer
04-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Ranchdog's designs all look interesting!

We bought a digital camera and I need to learn how to use it so I am going to inflict one of my first pictures on you all. These are my dummy rounds for the three 35 caliber designs I have and the bullets. They are, clockwise from top, the RCBS-200-FN, the Saeco 352 and the NEI-290-GC.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/394330.jpg (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=394330&c=556&z=1)