PDA

View Full Version : Deer Plots

snaggdit
08-24-2009, 02:21 PM
How many of you have put in deer plots this year already? I got mine in last Wed. Planted a turnip/rape combo. What are the rules in your states about hunting over feed?

waksupi
08-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Deer plot? Heck, I can't even grow zucchini!

kbstenberg
08-24-2009, 05:44 PM
In one clearing i have turnips , another area combination of clover's Rape , Last area wasn't worked goodenough for this year . Next year corn
Here in the land of taxes (Minn) No problem hunting around them. Just can't bring in food not grown in the field.

snaggdit
08-24-2009, 06:45 PM
In Wisconsin the rules are as follows (with most southern counties being a no-no due to chronic wasting):

Cannot be more than 2 gallons of bait on each contiguous area of land under the same ownership that is less than 40 acres in size, or for each full 40 acres that make up a contiguous area of land under the same ownership. (Note: Parcels of land that do not touch but are separated only by a town, county or state highway are considered contiguous.) Note: Feed at feeding sites may be spread out or divided into more than one pile as long as the total amount of feed material is not more than 2 gallons per forty acres.
Cannot be contained in or deposited by a feeder that is designed to deposit or replenish feed automatically, mechanically, or by gravity.

This applies to all types of bait. Corn, both kernel and ear, pumpkin, etc. If you choose to use corn ears, you will have less actual corn than using kernels.

Deer plots are a way to get a bit more bait out there without going over the 2 gallon limit. Also, if you take 2 gallons of corn out one day then do so again the next day, you can only add enough to bring the pile back up to 2 gallons. The excess must be taken back out with you. Just curious how the rest of the country works.

Steve
08-24-2009, 07:08 PM
I had the tiller on the tractor Wed. myownself so I tilled up a spot for deer, it looked like they had been using it like a dance floor all night. Planted oats on that spot Friday. I may brush hog some more lanes this week. No baiting in MI as of last year. Food plots ok. Steve

snaggdit
08-28-2009, 01:17 AM
Bump! What, no one else is putting in deer plots? At least enlighten me on the laws in your state about baiting!