PDA

View Full Version : cz 550 458 win mag

bigted
08-24-2009, 01:39 PM
i recently bought a cz model 550 in 458 win mag and have run into a problem that i wanted to gwet feedback on.

when i rack the bolt, the carteidge jams into the lug area or maybe the mouth of the chamber. this happens with factory shells and my reloads that are crimped. the left rail shell seems like the worst at this but it does it with both sides.

is this something that is common with this straight walled cartridge in a bolt gun? is there a simple cure for it? is it something i could do at home...[ im pretty handy with my hands].

this is the first straight walled bolt gun ive owned and ive never heard of this happening in the many articles ive read about this [ 458 or the lott ].

thanks for your input

Ted

Four Fingers of Death
08-24-2009, 02:05 PM
My old BRNO602, which is the same gun refused to feed any thing other than 500gn bullets. It worked so well  Ileft it at that. Nice rifle, hope you get it working.

waksupi
08-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Ted, are you feeding them fast, or slow? A bolt action is meant to be operated "smartly".

Southern Son
08-25-2009, 07:02 AM
I have a Brno 602 in .458Win Mag. It will take anything I feed it, 300 grain Hollowpoint, 350 grain SP, 405 grain SP, 500 grain solid or SP, Cast Boolits, Paper Patched, bolt worked fast or slow. It is actually a joy to watch that rifle chamber a round. Everything happens so smooth, it is just great. Much more accurate that I will ever be with an elephant rifle. You might have a problem that needs a gunsmith. Fooling with feed rails might fix it, but if you don't, the feed rails are part of the action and if you stuff them up, then they are a real problem to fix. I know that quality control dropped off for a while in the Brno/CZ factory, not just in the big rifles, I have a Model 2 made in the 80's, and it is NOT a joy to watch chamber a round and it frequently hangs up when feeding out of a 10 round magazine. It ain't even smooth with the 5 round mag. Shoots straight, just rough as guts.

clintsfolly
08-25-2009, 07:21 AM
go over to accuratereloading and took under big bore and gunsmithting lots of info have funClint :bigsmyl2:

bigted
08-25-2009, 01:20 PM
thanks for the input. first i am trying 400's and 500's as for boolits. and also i feed them "smartly" as this is what im gonna need when the teeth are snapping at my behind. i very much like the huge boolits and the accuracy they show in this rifle so i will continue to fool with it till i get it rite.

thanks again for the input...fellas keep em coming
Ted