PDA

View Full Version : Newest Family Addition

Beekeeper
08-23-2009, 02:21 PM
I would like to introduce you to the latest addition.
She started out as an idea and a $7.99 barreled action from Centerfire systems.
A year of looking for parts and a good piece of furniture wood.
I was given the outline by a gentleman I met in a gun store, he got it from someone in Arizona.
I have spent about 60 hours cleaning the metal and blueing.
There is another 50 or 60 hours in the furniture as I only had a tracing and some pictures I downloaded off of the internet.

Please meet Miss 71/84 of 1888

The first 2 pics are as she is now and the others of the steps in manufacruring the furniture

Thank you for looking and welcoming her to my collection.
I wish to thank Buckshot for all of the help he gave me in finding loads for her and egging me on by showing the pics of some of his beauties.

Jim

Beekeeper
08-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Sorry the pics are out of sequence but you get the idea.

Jim

Jon K
08-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Nice!!!
How's it shoot? Had a chance to take it out yet?

Jon

Beekeeper
08-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Where I live there is only one range,private, must be member of NRA(don't ask) which I'm not and only open 3 days a week.
Am going to go home to Texas soon to visit family and will fire it and several other new additions there.

Jim

Polock
08-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Beekeeper, that is one lovely rifle! I can only imagine the amount of effort it took to restore/re-build it to its former glory--congrats on a real beauty---

BTW--we really need you in the NRA:-|

Jon K
08-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Beekeeper,

Where are in CA?

Might be able to help.

Jon

dragonrider
08-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Looks great BK :drinks:

andremajic
08-25-2009, 12:57 AM
Nice. Did you use hand rasps to shape and finish? It looks like you spent a good amount of time to make that stock.

Andy.

Buckshot
08-25-2009, 02:17 AM
............A very pretty rifle, and some stupendous stock work that really 'makes' the rifle. You really have to have an eye for that. All that long straight stuff and one little bouble and it would be zero'd in on. If you ask me, it's just like real :-) How in the heck did you drill the magazine hole in that piece of wood?

...............Buckshot

Beekeeper
08-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Buckshot ,
I tried drilling and the bit wandered all over the place.
So I bought a router bit and routed out a channel and then pit a piece of walnut over the top of it and acraglassed it in.
Used a dowell wrapped in waxed paper to keep the glass from ruining the mag tube chamber.
Still had to use a butterfly sander to get a couple of spots. Worked great.

I have another barreled action and enough parts so I am going to make another this winter and will do a lot of pics this time if anyone is interested.

andremajic ,
All of the work except the mag tube channel was done by hand with chisels and rasps.
You have to be able to zone out on it for an hour at a time and have some idea what you want.
On this one I only had a tracing and pictures off of the internet so it was kind of hard to do as I had to keep breaking concentration to look at the drawing or pictures to get some idea where I was going.

The second one will be easier as I have it in my mind now.
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. It kinda makes it all worthwhile.

Jim

Gunfreak25
08-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Hey Beekeeper, did you catch the name of the fellow you got the tracing from? Because I live in Arizona, and just sent off a tracing of my 71/84 for a gentleman who lives in California, just wondering if you and I are talking about the same guy. That would be funny!

Amazing work with the homemade stock, I never thought of going through the top of the barrel channel to cut the mag tube channel, that makes perfect sence!
How much does a walnut blank like that cost? I might have to try my hand at making one for my 71/84, the guy I sent the tracing to even sent me back a notebook full of instructions on how to make stocks by hand, he wrote it all himself.

Beekeeper
08-25-2009, 05:28 PM
gunfreak25,
He didn't give me his name.
We just talked for about 15 minutes and he told me to check back with the store owner in about a week as he would drop off a sketch he had received from someone in Arizona.
Said he wouldn't be back again as he was moving back home.
Didn't say where that was.

I checked back and there was the tracing of the stock and a few instructions on things he had had problems with.

The complete blank 2inch by 8 inch by 4ft long was $65.00 at a hardwood place in Garden Grove Ca. A friend took me there and I kinda went crazy buying wood.
Good thing they will cut it for you or I would never have gotten it home in the trunck of the car.

Jim

Gunfreak25
08-26-2009, 01:12 AM
I think the guy you and I are talking about is the same person, as he told me through email that he is moving back home (won't say where here) with his family. Small world or what!

That's a good price for a walnut blank, might have to get one sometime!