PDA

View Full Version : update on cz 550 458

bigted
08-23-2009, 11:44 AM
well i told ya that id write more on my 458 project when i actually did more...here it is.
i finally found the rite combo for a down loaded hotrod. this rifle is so fun that i feel guilty when i touch it off.
i finally stumbled on a load that i think will be a great lite load and will have enough umph for the lil critters here in alaska. it is as follows;

40 grains RL 7...barns 400 gr boolit...cci mag primer...norma case [ nickle ]. i think it runs around 1600 fps.

this load shoots clean in my gun and the recoil is definetly bearable. a fun load to shoot. it groups inside 1.5 inch for me off a bench and when i shoot my gong it rings it and sways it more then my 375 ruger does...thats saying something as the 375 really gets er done.

i got the outline for this load out of a lyman book in the 45/90 section. instead of using cast...i loaded this great barns hunk of lead and wham...it is the $%^&^%$.

anyway there is the ongoing project so far...just loaded and fired this load sat. and im gonna go load more so i can be sure it wasnt a fluke.
more when i get more
big T

bigted
08-23-2009, 12:16 PM
got so excited writing about my last that i didnt ask the question i need to.

when i rack the bolt to feed another cart into the chamber, it jams against the locking lugs and possibly against the chamber mouth. more so from the cart that lives against the left rail of the box mag. this happens with the factory cart's as well as with my handloads that are crimped.

question is...is this norm with a boltgun and straight walled cart. or is this cureable? i need to get this solved before i go out and tease the lil grizzlys here. when pissed, they travel an enormose amount of real estate in a hurry, and i wont have time to fool with a cart that is hung in the mouth of this rifle.

thanks again.
Ted :bigsmyl2:

canuck4570
08-24-2009, 08:30 PM
my friend has one
and he had the same problem
you have to polish the magazine rail where the cartridge come to rest when loaded so the cartridge will release a bit faster so it will align with be chamber
and round the top of the feeding ramp just a bit
so the cartridge will go in more straight
and one more thing glass bed the recoil lugs both action and the one under the sight because the wood compresses causing the cross bolt in the pistol grip region will split your stock
otherwise it shoots great
canuck