PDA

View Full Version : Lee problems, 223 dies

wonderwolf
08-23-2009, 10:31 AM
I got a set of Lee .223 FL dies and have problems with the FL sizer die. I'm using a RCBS shellholder which I think might be the actual problem. I sent the dies back to the factory because they were causing a ring in the middle of the shoulder. They said they would exchange them but I think they sent the same dies back because I'm still getting a ring on the shoulder I can feel with my fingernail....or is it because i'm using a RCBS shellholder?

1hole
08-23-2009, 05:35 PM
I don't know what's putting a "ring" on your case shoulders but it sure ain't the shell holder!

Wayne Smith
08-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Has nothing to do with the shell holder, and you should have gotten a shell holder with the Lee dies. Prove it to your self and switch to that shell holder. There are almost no differences.

Send them back and demand a new die.

Recluse
08-23-2009, 06:19 PM
What kind of lube are you using and how much of it are you using?

:coffee:

Shiloh
08-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Is this ring a cut, or swaged in depression? Is it raised?? Is there something on the top of the die??? I have lots of LEE dies and have never experienced this

Shiloh

wonderwolf
08-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Has nothing to do with the shell holder, and you should have gotten a shell holder with the Lee dies. Prove it to your self and switch to that shell holder. There are almost no differences.

Send them back and demand a new die.

The dies were the RGB dies so no shell holder included, The ring on the shoulder feels depressed cut into the shoulder. Lee said they cleaned the die and that nothing was wrong with the die, My thought was the shell holder was allowing the case to go further into the die than was needed.....I'm sending them another email.

I'm using frankford arsenal lube, I've used it for about 5 years now on about 8,000 rifle reloads.

lurch
08-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Might want to try a short piece of stiff wire with a point on the end long enough to reach up into the shoulder area of the die. Carefully drag the point across the shoulder area and see if you can feel a bump. Not totally fool proof but if you do feel something, it'll give you a little more ammo for your conversation with Lee. I've never seen excess lube give a ring before, just a dent.

I agree its not the shell holder causing the ring. All that a short shell holder will do is give you fits with head space and really mess up you brass unless adjusted properly.

mike in co
08-23-2009, 11:04 PM
tell me how your press is set up. where is the die in relation to the shell holder ?
when the ram is all way up how close is the shell holder to the bottom of the die ?

mike in co

Recluse
08-24-2009, 01:07 AM
I've never seen excess lube give a ring before, just a dent.

Only time I've seen it was with excess lube and the guy who was sizing started getting hydro-lock (for lack of a better word/description).

But with over 8,000 rounds prior to this hiccup, I reckon Wonderwolf has the process down.

wonderwolf
08-24-2009, 11:05 AM
I've formed brass from 270 to 6.5 jap and some other calibers so I'm well aware of too much lube and buildup. I'm using a rockchucker and the shell holder contacts the die just as it peeks the cam....These are brand new .223 dies..I've only sized about 40 pieces of brass with them. I wanted a die set I could use to load my plinker bullets up that I swage and have them work in all 6 of the AR's that my friends and I shoot..instead of using my high end Match dies I load my really good ammo on since those are set up for longer bullets.

wonderwolf
08-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Only time I've seen it was with excess lube and the guy who was sizing started getting hydro-lock (for lack of a better word/description).

But with over 8,000 rounds prior to this hiccup, I reckon Wonderwolf has the process down.

I spray the lube at the neck( this usually allows the other cases in the rack to become covered and gravity takes care of the rest) and let it sit for about 5ish minutes then when I size each case I spread the lube a little more with my weak hand that stays clean making sure the shoulder has enough but not too much. I've never had this problem with my other rifle dies causing a ring on the shoulder.

StarMetal
08-24-2009, 12:17 PM
I've formed brass from 270 to 6.5 jap and some other calibers so I'm well aware of too much lube and buildup. I'm using a rockchucker and the shell holder contacts the die just as it peeks the cam....These are brand new .223 dies..I've only sized about 40 pieces of brass with them. I wanted a die set I could use to load my plinker bullets up that I swage and have them work in all 6 of the AR's that my friends and I shoot..instead of using my high end Match dies I load my really good ammo on since those are set up for longer bullets.

Please tell me how you size 270 brass to 6.5 Jap on a rockchucker, I sure would like to know.

Joe

runfiverun
08-24-2009, 12:29 PM
ben you might not need to push the case that far into the die.
if it is an issue in feeding or the cases won't fit the rifles,i think i would toss the 5 dollar die and buy an rcbs and be done with it.
i wanna know how you get a rim from a 270 case too.

wonderwolf
08-24-2009, 12:44 PM
I used to make 6.5brass out of 22-250 brass cause I had a lot of range pick up laying around. 6.5 jap is not a true rimmed case...more like semi rimless i guess. Anyways I use lee dies for this (gasp I know) but remove the expander ball. Run the die out and slowly size the cases down turning the die into the press about half a turn at a time. Anneal about 1/2 way through. trim, ream and lathe turn the belt that has formed at the base of the brass.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zR18eDaoSvw/SKEOgzAZE4I/AAAAAAAAAJs/xPGZkHsBBuE/s1600-h/DSC00894.JPG

The right hand case is a fireformed case from 22-250...The .22-250 cases did not last me long as they were reloads pushed hard in a rifle I helped burn the barrel out on lol. The 270 brass I use now should last awhile in my 6.5 jap, Pics to come if you would like.

TAWILDCATT
08-30-2009, 04:06 PM
grafs has new made cases,not reformed.
and harbor freight has a mini saw thats the cats whiskers for trimming cases.

bohokii
08-30-2009, 10:44 PM
i was thinking about your problem and is your decapping rod flish with the top nut?

once a berdan got away from me and pushed up my rod and the next pump ruined my brass

chevyiron420
08-31-2009, 03:09 AM
Im not sure if im talking about the same thing or not, but i have had trouble with lee dies making a little cut circle on the shoulder of brass before. In my case it came from a air vent hole that is drilled in the shoulder area of the die. I polished and cleaned the die and it stopped.

lead-1
08-31-2009, 05:13 AM
Wonderwolf, take the die apart and clean it then use the probe to feel for a ridge or tooling mark in the neck of the die. I use a RGB die with a RCBS shell holder with no problems, I would have to guess that its a tooling mark.

hiram
08-31-2009, 12:34 PM
When and if you send the die back, include 3 cases with the ring.