PDA

View Full Version : .375 Ruger African

Throwback
08-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Hi gang, Its been a while since I've posted - a very busy summer, and as usual I have bitten off more than I can chew. I have been restoring some double guns for customers and worked on a few rifle stocks as well. I am terribly behind on load development in .35 Rem & .41 Mag, and on top of that I picked up a new rifle from Ruger. Cases dies and a new mold are on the way. I have also found some limited data for cast. Anybody have actual experience? Did you try filler? It is a big case, which makes higher velocities challenging. Has anyone hit more than 1,800 fps? How was accuracy?

By the way, for those interested, this is a 7.5 pound rifle and it really kicks with 300 grain bullets - quite a difference from typically heavier .375 H&H rifles. It is a nasty customer on both ends but it is also very accurate.

Four Fingers of Death
08-24-2009, 02:18 AM
?

By the way, for those interested, this is a 7.5 pound rifle and it really kicks with 300 grain bullets - quite a difference from typically heavier .375 H&H rifles. It is a nasty customer on both ends but it is also very accurate.

Like I always said, 'yer can't fight Physics!' Power up front, equals power at the other end as well. I think they used to prefer the 375s to be around 10-11lbs in Africa to balance the recoil. But then again, they didn't walk all day with them did they? 

Throwback
08-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Elmer Keith used to lament the weight of .375s and suggested that you could get away with 8lb but he was an odd duck. Perhaps a Decelerator will make enough of a difference that I can tollerate more than a handful of rounds without detaching my retinas. I will say that 7.5lb carries much more agreeably than 10-11. My tommygun is a clumsy boat anchor at that weight. This Ruger is like a wand.

docone31
08-24-2009, 03:09 PM
I put a thick field pad on mine.
Was like a 30-30. First few shots were no biggee, light off a couple of boxes though...
I really liked my #1.
I miss it.

TonyT
08-24-2009, 09:28 PM
I had a Winchester Model 70 in 375 H&H which was very accurate with a variety of bullet weights. As I remeber I used both SR-4759 and SR-4756 for light loads with cast and jacketed bullets. Unfortunately I sold the rifle and discarded the data some time ago.