PDA

View Full Version : dillon 650 splash

shotman
08-23-2009, 01:56 AM
As most of you that have a dillon 650 you get a powder splach if you dont watch the advance. There is a co on feebay that sells a bearing kit to stop that . It is after market. If you need info pm me rick

jmorris
08-23-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm not sure of the "kit" on ebay but all it takes is a thrust bearing and respective washers.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/bearing.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/650bearing.jpg

Cleatis1234
08-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Is this the same size as on the RL550, as sold by Uniquetek.

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1281

alor_swe
08-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Exactly how does this bearing kit help to reduce powder slash?
I can guess you get a slightly smoother action on the shell plate, but from what I can see the jerk in the indexing motion comes from when the ball bearing enters the lock on the shell plate.

finishman2000
08-28-2009, 04:43 AM
i got mine yesterday and put it right in. all it really does is force the shellplate down, pushing the ball bearing that locks the shellplate in positiion down, thus taking the play out. you have to almost tighten the plate so the shellplate can barely move for it to work. even then i still got some powder on the shellplate with 9mm.

Intel6
08-28-2009, 11:41 AM
You can also trim down the spring under the ball detent so the shell plate doesn't snap as hard.

Neal in AZ

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-28-2009, 02:29 PM
jmorris,

What is the inner diameter of those washers and bearing? I think the same thrust bearing would perhaps have an application with the Hornady LnL press as well, assuming the bolt diameter is the same.

Regards,

Dave

alor_swe
08-28-2009, 05:06 PM
*thread hijacking* Anyone have any additional tips on how to reduce powder splash on the 650 press?
I just loaded a bunch on 9x19 today and when I was done I had a load of powder on the shell plate and on my floor. Small cases with a lot of powder doesn't mix all that that well with the sudden jerk in the end of the indexing motion.

Will this bearing kit eliminate this issue? :killingpc

It really bothers me that a premium press has this issue.
My old loadmaster was IMHO a better press in this issue as you can control the indexing motion with the handle of the press (although the primer seating sucked big time).

I've bee thinking of replacing the ball bearing with a steel cylinder (or something looking like a TC bullet) that fits in the locking cavities in the shell plate. Have anyone done this or is it a bad idea?
A cylinder with a sharp edge should avoid the sudden jerk that occurs when the ball bearing enters the edge of the locking cavity of the shell plate and just snap in place or will I get an issue when the cylinder is supposed to exit the locking cavity when the indexing motion start?.
I don't want to mess with the indexing for the primer seating I just want to address the powder splash issue.

shotman
08-28-2009, 06:32 PM
TIMKEN that is 3 -000s For price. it seems to work for me at $13

ddeaton
08-28-2009, 09:23 PM
cut the spring down on the ball detent. No matter how smooth the action is it still jerks to a stop when the ball springs into the detent hole to stop the plate on the index. Cut a little at a time until she stops smooth.

TAWILDCATT
08-30-2009, 03:30 PM
for the cost of that press why do you have to modify it to get it to work????
Thank the lord I dont have to crank out 1000s so I can shoot.I am happy with my green machine with Lee powder measure.and the lee 1000 works for me.

jmorris
09-01-2009, 10:47 AM
jmorris,

What is the inner diameter of those washers and bearing? I think the same thrust bearing would perhaps have an application with the Hornady LnL press as well, assuming the bolt diameter is the same.

The bearing is .5 id 15/16 od but I don’t see how one could be used on the LNL. The LNL solves the problem by indexing half on the up stroke and half on the down.

for the cost of that press why do you have to modify it to get it to work????

You don't I loaded over 100,000 rounds on my 650's before I added bearings. It just makes the machine feel smoother.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-01-2009, 11:07 AM
The bearing is .5 id 15/16 od but I don’t see how one could be used on the LNL. The LNL solves the problem by indexing half on the up stroke and half on the down.

It does and it's smooth, much smoother than my buddy's 650, but I want to make it even smoother and I want to be able to not tweak the shell plate bolt during operations. I have an early machine with upgrades to the subplate, etc. and the shell plate bolt tends to loosen over a run, maybe due to machining tolerances. The thrust bearing will likely eliminate that problem along with making the press even smoother than it was.

I'm never shy about upgrading my machines from factory. If I could afford it, I'd add compressed air operation and automated boolit feeder.

Regards,

Dave

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-01-2009, 11:46 AM
For those of you interested. I googled the part number above, NTA-815 and located the thrust bearing at amazon.com for $11.00 delivered standard shipping to my home. Pretty good deal, based on prices I've seen on this thread. The half inch washers you should be able to buy at your local hardware store.

Regards,

Dave

M_Phipps
09-03-2009, 07:50 PM
You can order these from Mcmaster-Carr
1x #5909K31 Needle-Roller Thrust Bearing $2.66
2x #5909K44 Washer $1.80

Total $4.46 plus shipping

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Dang, that's a good value there Mr. Phipps. Wish I'd found that.

Dave

readr1
09-17-2009, 05:30 PM
All you ever wanted or needed to know about dillon machines...
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=78

rockrat
09-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Wonder if you could grind a ramp approaching the hole for the ball bearing, so it would be a bit more gradual, instead of the "snap"

shotman
09-18-2009, 12:12 AM
rockrat I would think that it would let some movement occure and that would be a problem on the straight wall cases of lead cutting on the cast boolit.
Readr1 that foram is too uppy for us folksy guys.