PDA

View Full Version : 7383 is Dirty!

JohnH
04-05-2006, 11:41 PM
5 shots creates fouling the equal of any Black I've ever fired. Stuff will let me put 4 of 5 in one hole, but after that, if I don't scrub the barrel down, all bets are off on what I'm gonna get. Don't mind the cleaning, would just like to know if there is a simplier way of swabbing the bore out. Rifle is an Encore in 375 JDJ. I'm using 40 grains under the Lyman 379449 and lighting it with a CCI 250. Powder charge fills the case to just below the case neck and I'm seating so that the bullet is atop but not compressing the powder, it leaves one grease groove exposed. The flyer is random, sometimes the first shot, sometimes last, sometimes 2, 3, or 4, one never knows, I figure a different cause creates this

Bass Ackward
04-06-2006, 06:27 AM
5 shots creates fouling the equal of any Black I've ever fired. Stuff will let me put 4 of 5 in one hole, but after that, if I don't scrub the barrel down, all bets are off on what I'm gonna get. Don't mind the cleaning, would just like to know if there is a simplier way of swabbing the bore out. Rifle is an Encore in 375 JDJ. I'm using 40 grains under the Lyman 379449 and lighting it with a CCI 250. Powder charge fills the case to just below the case neck and I'm seating so that the bullet is atop but not compressing the powder, it leaves one grease groove exposed. The flyer is random, sometimes the first shot, sometimes last, sometimes 2, 3, or 4, one never knows, I figure a different cause creates this

John,

Wha...huh? Not .... using .... a pistol powder?

Many things here available as options. Fillers. Carnuba in the lube. Crimps. Dare I mention bullet design?

Whole new world to operate in now.

45 2.1
04-06-2006, 08:53 AM
7383 requires the powder to be compacted in the case. Drop tube the charge in (it may require more powder to get to the boolit base if your gun can stand it) the case up to the boolit base and try the load again. You may be able to vibrate the charge into compacted position also. When you do this, the fouling and unburnt powder usually disappear.

felix
04-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Bob, I think it is more related to the amount of powder for the bore size. 37 grains would begin to burn clean in a 30 caliber, and 40 grains in a 32 caliber. In a 375? Probably at least 48 grains. I agree that playing around with compaction might help some. A mag primer should not be used when the case is short enough for the primer force to dislodge the boolit. I would suggest using a pistol primer in a case short as the 375 JDJ. At least for a trial. ... felix

rbstern
04-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Burning 36 to 42 grains in 7.5x55 Swiss has been fairly clean in my use. As suggeted, more experimentation needed.

BCB
04-08-2006, 01:44 PM
I have found that 32 grains and the 311041 (170 grains//1700 fps)) shoots very well and doesn’t seem to be any dirtier than other powders in my 30-30. I am using 34 grains and the 287346 (135 grains//2011 fps) in the 7-30 Waters. Accuracy is not quite as good as the ol’ 30-30 but I really haven’t messed with it all that much. WC-844 is the power for the Waters. Regardless, I really haven’t found this powder to be overly dirty. Could be just a subjective thing—but the price makes it well worth while…BCB