PDA

View Full Version : Gas Checks in Ported Barrels?

Firebricker
08-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Can you shoot gas checked boolets out of ported or compensated barrels ? This came up when a friend and were loading some .44s for his 629 with a barrel compensater. I never thought about till he asked since I never had one. I told him I had no idea but knew where to find out. Thanks in advance for your input.
FB

shotman
08-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Well I have never had a problem with the compensater. But dont try it over a crony. It wil kill it if it very far out. Most of the time the checks come off. Shoot over water and you will see where they hit.

Shiloh
08-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Why would you be able to fire gas checked boolits from a compensated firearm??

Shiloh

yondering
08-22-2009, 01:48 AM
It's not a good idea to fire GC boolits through a suppressor, because of the risk of a baffle strike and/or the gas check remaining in the suppressor to be struck by the next boolit, BUT I can't see that being an issue with a decent compensator, since they are generally much tougher than suppressor internals.

Also remember that there are compensators / muzzle brakes (thread on units attached to the barrel), and there are ported barrels. Many people confuse these, but they are not the same thing. With a ported barrel, where the ports are in the rifling, a gas check boolit is desirable, as a plain base boolit can experience gas cutting as it passes the ports. This does not happen with a compensator or muzzle brake.

Marlin Hunter
08-22-2009, 01:59 AM
That was a good question. If the checks came off in the barrel and somehow got stuck, it could cause a serious problem. I think the Marlin Guide Gun has ports.

yondering
08-22-2009, 02:10 AM
In a ported barrel such as the Marlin, gas checks will not come off until the boolit has left the barrel, this is not affected by the ports. Just shoot it and don't worry about it.

In a gun with a compensator or muzzle brake, however, the rifling stops where the brake begins, and when the boolit leaves the rifling, the check may come off inside the brake. There is potential for a problem in this case, but I think it's extremely unlikely.

The simple answer is to just use Hornady checks, which don't come off like Lyman's do, as long as they fit the boolit properly.

runfiverun
08-22-2009, 11:25 AM
seeing as how hornady makes lyman's gas checks i doubt there is a problem with those either.
if my g/c's are faling off my boolits there is a problem and it needs to be fixed immmmmediately.
super glue them on if need be.

odoh
08-22-2009, 12:48 PM
One would think there would be a positive pressure against the gas check/base of the boolit until it has exited the barrel/compensator for some distance at least. Then the force of drag would/could impact the gas check ~ still, it would be well clear of the barrel by then.

I've never experienced an issue w/gas checks in my compensated guns and reckon I never will.

HammerMTB
08-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Speaking of pressure at barrel exit, you otta see the pressure wave out the end of the bbl on high intensity rounds. It will rock my Chrono, on a pretty steady tripod. It sends waves across dry grass. I'm sure most if not all of you have seen this at one time or another. One would think it would be enough to eject a gas check. It'd have to be a rare instance that it would not come out, like a squib load or sumpin'....

One would think there would be a positive pressure against the gas check/base of the boolit until it has exited the barrel/compensator for some distance at least. Then the force of drag would/could impact the gas check ~ still, it would be well clear of the barrel by then.

I've never experienced an issue w/gas checks in my compensated guns and reckon I never will.

Firebricker
08-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks guys for the input. I didnt think it would be a problem but guns and fingers are expensive. So I figured check it out to safe. Thanks again FB