PDA

View Full Version : Improved sights for 44Mag Rossi.

Four Fingers of Death
04-05-2006, 08:20 PM
I bought a new 92 Stainless Rossi last year and have used it for a number of reasons, mostly relating to the sights.

It has a cheap buckhorn with high ears and a 'gold' bead which is almost invisible when you drop it down into the sight picture.

Also, the rifle refuses to be zeroed at 50 yards, even with height adjuster taken out of the back sight and the sight body resting on the Bbl, it still shoot a bit high.

I also have a 357 Rossi, which has a better sight picture and I am using that at the moment with a fair amount of success. I would like to get the 44 percolating though as I was always able to take the mickey out of my mate Rossco who was shooting 357 'sissy guns.'

What is a good sight combo for this rifle? I'm getting a bit long in the tooth and can use open buckhorns and blade sights, but it needs a bit of light around it.

I probably should attack the sights with a file, got nothing to lose.

Don't want a reciever sight as I shoot cowboy action.

MT Gianni
04-05-2006, 11:19 PM
I have an old ugly rossi with the tiger emblem on the side. I shoot a 250 gr bullet at 1650 fps and find the sights are ok. I have never tried a slower load but will keep watching this post. Gianni.

Frank46
04-06-2006, 02:41 AM
Mick, don't know if either lyman or williams make any receiver sights for the rossi but you might keep an eye out for a lyman 66la which if I'm not mistaken is for a flat side action. Maybe it would fit the rossi. Are you allowed to use receiver sights in cowboy games?. Frank

Four Fingers of Death
04-06-2006, 03:38 AM
Mick, don't know if either lyman or williams make any receiver sights for the rossi but you might keep an eye out for a lyman 66la which if I'm not mistaken is for a flat side action. Maybe it would fit the rossi. Are you allowed to use receiver sights in cowboy games?. Frank

I shoot cowboy as mentioned and receiver sights are not allowed. Tang sights are, but I have very big hands and in the fast shooting, I'd either get bitten or knock the sight over.

What I was looking for was a more open buckhorn or flat blade front and square notch front like my slightly earlier Rossi has. The cheapo brass foresight dot disappears when you drop it down between the buckhorn's ears.

Bass Ackward
04-06-2006, 06:13 AM
Mic,

Here is an option that might work depending on you sight base. Or finding one from mod 94 could be possible.

http://oneraggedhole.com/Winchester_and_Marlin_Sights.htm

sundog
04-06-2006, 06:48 AM
I'm pretty sure that receiver sight is not allowed for SASS, but I know that tang sights are, at least the Lyman and Marbles. Of the two, I would pick the Marbles because it is windage adjustable. I have a couple of Lymans, like them, but will not buy any more, because they are not windage adjustable. sundog

fourarmed
04-06-2006, 12:14 PM
I don't know if there is enough metal there to do this, but you could cut the "horns" off and file the top of the remaining sight flat. Then use a 3-cornered file to cut a notch in the center maybe .050" deep. Convert that narrow vee into a wide vee by filing flats from the bottom of the notch out to the top corners of the sight. Paint the front bead black or smoke it. I've always heard that a wide vee and a bead is the fastest open sight combination.

Not quite so fast, but a little more precise would be to do the same thing (dehorn, file flat), then cut the new notch with a very small rat-tail file. Kind of like having a partial aperture. Helps to have a globe over the front sight, too.

Dale53
04-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Actually, you can learn to shoot a peep sight as fast as you need to. I competed for years in combat shoots with an HK 91 with the standard, as issued sight. It didn't come automatically. I had to practice, a LOT. However, I got up to "Class A" speed with reliability. You can easily do the same thing with a lever action and tang sight.

Your vision is probably not going to get better. It will only get worse (going by personal experience). However, a jump to the tang sight, now, will enable you to be competitive for many years.

Good luck and SHOOT CENTER!
Dale53

KCSO
04-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Mick
I got a Marble's rear and a Marble's white bead front on mine. The are made for the Rossi dovetail and Brownell's have them. I tried a peep on the gun, but the ranges I shoot the 44 at don't really call for a peep. If your gun has the dovetailed front sight check the bore and make sure it isn't dimpled from where they drove the f/s in. I got one like that and it shot off and didn't really group good till I removed the wrinkle.

Blackwater
04-07-2006, 01:49 AM
Mick, if you like big square front sights, and can get stuff from Midway in Australia, check out these links for a neat front sight:

White:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=789384

Orange:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=992416

I know that as my eyes "age," a big square front sure is a lot easier to SEE! Ain't gettin' older FUN! :mrgreen:

Frank46
04-07-2006, 02:44 AM
Mick, well here is another suggestion. Paint the bead on the front sight with the LOUDEST color you can find. Something on the order of dayglow paints. Then file the ears down on the buckhorn and make the notch wider. From some of the cowboy shoots I've seen on the boob toob the ranges are not long so maybe it would work. Being able to see the bead on the target should be better. I had a jungle carbine in 303 (what else?) and in the pennsylvania woods after I painted the bead was very visible in just about all types of weather. Rain, ice storms, snow, clear weather. But you get the picture. Check out the stores that sell radio controlled models. They usually stock some really bright colored paints. Reds, greens and maybe yellows. Remember age and treachery will overcome youth and skill. Frank

Four Fingers of Death
04-07-2006, 05:39 AM
I wouldn't bother with a tang peep for a cowboy action rifle unless I didn't own a separate long range rifle (use a standard 1894 30/30 and a 45/70 BPCR).

As far as the standard competition goes, reasonable sized targets at 50 mtrs usually don't really require much in sights at all. The receiver sights are good I have several on other rifles and have been using Williams, Redfield and Lyman receiver sights for over 25 years now, but theu are not allowed in cowboy action.

I won't be hunting with this rifle (hunt with a 32/20, 30/30, 375 Win and a 45/70 lever as well as a range of bolt guns) so I suppose I should go down and attack the sights with a cut of wheel on the Dremel.