PDA

View Full Version : Primer storage

bedwards
08-21-2009, 02:50 PM
I may be silly, but I've been concerned about where and how to store primers. I have several and have some stored in my reload room in the house and some stored outside in a shop behind the house. Here is an excerpt from what SAAMI says:

Primer Storage

Due to their explosive nature only an absolute minimum should be kept in storage. The National Fire Protection Association' NFPA 495 says that not more than 10,000 primers should be stored in a private residence. This recommendation is law in most communities. Even a deeply involved reloader should have no reason to store more than 1,000 of each of large rifle, large rifle magnum, small rifle, large pistol, large pistol magnum, small pistol, small pistol magnum, and shotshell primers. That's 8,000 primers. With care in replacing exhausted supplies, it is not difficult to adhere to the 10,000 primer limit. Many, if not most reloaders will be able to get along nicely with far fewer primers kept on hand.

What is legal and what do you guys think and how do you store them?

be

Huntducks
08-21-2009, 03:15 PM
I keep them in my loading room in zip loc bags.

I have one or two more then 10,000. and have not brought a primer in 2+ years so i'm not a current horder.

runfiverun
08-21-2009, 04:38 PM
i put them in a cabinet.
i don't count them sept as i use them.
i pick up a thou or two when a line/row looks smaller than the other three.

fecmech
08-21-2009, 04:48 PM
I keep mine in a wooden box in the basement, the same as my powder(different spot in the basement) as my main concern is a fire. Heat from a fire rises and the wooden box is an insulator from heat. My thinking is in the event of a fire if we are not out of the house by the time the basement is engulfed it won't matter!

nonferrous
08-21-2009, 05:13 PM
If 10'000 is the limit, I am a few over as well, 12 Ga really eats them up.
I keep them in 50 Cal. ammo cans with dessicant.

anachronism
08-21-2009, 05:42 PM
I lost all my primers in a tragic boating accident.

DrBill33
08-21-2009, 05:51 PM
I use MTM Dry Boxes. This keeps the Primers in very good condition. Better than the Ammo Cans!

BruceB
08-21-2009, 07:25 PM
My primers live in a small wooden cabinet in my loading shed, which poses no threat whatever if an unfortunate event sets-off the accumulation. The cabinet will easily dis-assemble itself before pressures rise to a dangerous level from detonations within. At the same time, the wood offers a very effective insulation against heat rise.

(NVCurmudgeon says that I have an award-winning shed, for the most STUFF in the smallest available volume.)

My powder is stored on open shelves in the shed for the same reason. It may burn, but it will NOT build up sufficient pressure to pose a risk of "explosions".

jdgabbard
08-21-2009, 08:10 PM
I thought it was 10,000 of each. But I mostly load small pistol, so if I have 10,000 i'm good for a while...

JesterGrin_1
08-21-2009, 08:13 PM
At this time this line is the fly in the ointment lol.

With care in replacing exhausted supplies, it is not difficult to adhere to the 10,000 primer limit. Many, if not most reloaders will be able to get along nicely with far fewer primers kept on hand.

NVcurmudgeon
08-21-2009, 08:15 PM
My second to BruceB's not excessively sturdy primer storage cabinet. For the same reason, I keep all primers and ready-use one lb. powder containers on open shelves in the component closet off my reloading room. For convenience eight lb. powder containers are in a separate wooden cabinet in the garage. My motto is "let it burn if it must, but don't pressurize it."

dragonrider
08-21-2009, 08:49 PM
I am so screwed.

mike in co
08-21-2009, 09:23 PM
I may be silly, but I've been concerned about where and how to store primers. I have several and have some stored in my reload room in the house and some stored outside in a shop behind the house. Here is an excerpt from what SAAMI says:

Primer Storage

Due to their explosive nature only an absolute minimum should be kept in storage. The National Fire Protection Association' NFPA 495 says that not more than 10,000 primers should be stored in a private residence. This recommendation is law in most communities. Even a deeply involved reloader should have no reason to store more than 1,000 of each of large rifle, large rifle magnum, small rifle, large pistol, large pistol magnum, small pistol, small pistol magnum, and shotshell primers. That's 8,000 primers. With care in replacing exhausted supplies, it is not difficult to adhere to the 10,000 primer limit. Many, if not most reloaders will be able to get along nicely with far fewer primers kept on hand.

What is legal and what do you guys think and how do you store them?

be
BS...
for accuracy shooters like me, a primer is a variable in the load. buying 1k at a time means redoing my load every time i shoot 1k. no one i know that shoots serious accuracy buys 1k at a time. most people i know buy 5 k at a time and often multiples of that.....for each rifle!
the nfpa is an association not a government law issuing body. the statement implys a law that may or may not exist.
the last time i reloaded for 40 sw i loaded 7000 rounds.....with thier logic i would have the potential for 5 different loads instead of one. and would have to make atleast 4 trips to the store!
store them open in a reasonable climate off the ground ( no flooding..ive done that one). no steel containers. keep out what you are using.
with the issue with primers we are going thru at this time, a person with only 10k of primers in nov of 08 would most likely be in a big hurt right now.
dont let big brother run your life.
mike in co

bedwards
08-21-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm not worried about big brother as much as the insurance man should the worst happen and loose the house to a fire. That's the main reason I separated mine. I don't want to give anybody reason to turn a claim down. I don't know who to ask to find out or even if I want to ask anybody but you guys.

qajaq59
08-22-2009, 08:13 AM
I don't know who to ask to find out or even if I want to ask anybody but you guys. You could ask your local fire marshall.

nonferrous
08-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Point well taken on the "no steel", I guess if the can was ever dropped, it could become a big problem.

c3d4b2
08-22-2009, 10:25 AM

A friend had a fire and he said the cartridges and powder were not a problem. He said that he stored primers in metal ammo cans and the fire caused the cans to explode and cautioned us to not store primes in this type of can.

oldtoolsniper
08-22-2009, 11:17 AM
A nice plastic beer cooler! They float during floods too!

BBA
08-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Key word is "should". Does your community enforce NFPA rules on private residences? Unless the this is an adopted code it does not apply. NFPA 495 only says its a good idea not to store excess amounts, and if you go to your Fire Marshal, it more than likely be turned over to the Building Dept and they can find a whole lot of other codes violations other than your primers.

bedwards
08-23-2009, 10:24 AM
I live way out in the sticks. I doubt any building code guys will show up unless alerted. That's why I'm hesitant to ask anybody else.

be

nascarkent
08-23-2009, 08:04 PM
I store my primers in a insulated plastic cooler also!:o

Grampie not Grumpie
08-23-2009, 09:30 PM
I store mine in the flat boxes they come in on a shelf in my "shop" in the barn where I do my reloading. I cast my boolits in a different part of the barn. The primers I am currently using (partial 100s) I keep in a plastic "pill bottle" with a screw-on lid. the kind that OTC drugs come in. The bottles are labeled with a piece of masking tape with brand and type written on it.

May not be "according to Hoyle" but works for me out here in the country.

Grampie not Grumpie

wallenba
08-23-2009, 09:40 PM
I use an old Steelcase brand filing cabinet, not one of the new ones, one from about 1950. They are much better built. A couple thousand usually in each drawer. Getting low now.

mike in co
08-23-2009, 10:48 PM

GET THEM OUT OF THAT CAN!
THAT IS A BOMB WAITING FOR IGNITION.

ON A SHELF....ABOVE THE WATER LINE, IN A COOLER WITH NO LATCH....

powder burns, primers EXPLODE.....DETONATE.
mike in co

Brick85
11-16-2009, 11:10 PM
How about plastic 5-gallon buckets, like the kind taping compound comes in? Keeps water in very well, so it should keep it out just as well. The lid would blow off it things were inclined to go that direction, but the sides would probably melt out if the temperature were high enough to set off primers.

Do primers suffer from temperature extremes? If not, sitting them in a sealed container like a compound bucket would allow you to keep them out of the house, circumventing the laws (and insurance regulations) about the number you can keep in the house itself.

abqcaster
09-01-2015, 11:46 AM
So I looked here (a list of state laws and city ordinances, summarized by the ATF) and I'm sure this is the latest edition: https://www.atf.gov/file/58536/download. It looks like it depends on the state you're living in. A search for "10,000" turns up some laws with that limit and 50# of powder max.

dragon813gt
09-01-2015, 12:03 PM
The ATF does not determine your limits. Your local fire code does. Most code refers to NFPA guidelines. The information that SAAMI puts out references NFPA. You need to know your local code. For example, in MD you are only allowed 5#s of powder in your residence.

And yes, I know this thread was from 2009 and brought back.

Alley Cat
09-02-2015, 10:48 PM
It is probably best to store your primers indoors other than in your house or basement. The last thing you want is a quickly burning fire in your house.

mjwcaster
09-04-2015, 03:45 PM
Keep in mind humidity when storing primers/powder.

I had a bunch of powder/primers in rubber maid tote years ago.
When I moved I just put the tote in a room in the car port.
When I opened them back up a few months later the tote had water in the bottom of it and the lid was dripping water.

No leaks in the tote or roof, it was condensation, hot humid days allowed moist air into the container, cool nights allowed it to condense.

I should have know better, as I had lived in the area before and had all sorts of issues with metal rusting, water pouring off the roof in the morning (condensation on roof), etc.
But I never thought about it.

It was a sad moment when I opened that tote. Most of it was probably still good, but I didn't want to chance it and tossed most of it over the next few years.

Now with the shortages of the last few years I would have probably tried to salvage it, but back then not a real issue.

LabGuy
09-04-2015, 05:46 PM
I live in a high humidity environment, my new solution is to seal primers in my FoodSaver vacuum sealer.

rodsvet
09-04-2015, 08:43 PM
I store them in the original sleeves (5M) that they come in. Put them on a shelf in the garage and don't care how hot they get. Some of my primers are 20 years old and never fail to light off with uniformity. I store my powder the same way and it is just as old and functions perfectly. Keep them dry and you should be fine. Rod

Blackwater
09-04-2015, 09:19 PM
I still haven't gotten my new reloading room put together yet, and I've been thinking about just this question - storage of primers AND powder. I've gotten an idea and would appreciate some comments/evaluations. I'm thinking about building a wooden box with alum. foil liner and inner insulation of sheetrock. Box to be easily enough to open that it won't contain and build pressure in case either primers or powder ignited.

This, I'm thinking, would prevent detonation of the powder, and provide sufficient temp transfer that if the inside reaches ignition point, the home is already gone anyway. It's been proven in actual experiments, and by observations of homes that had significant ammo, primers and powder in them actually burn, that the "kaboom" most expect just doesn't happen. Now with real black powder, though, that may be quite different! That would probably need two staggered layers of wood/alum/sheetrock to be "safe" enough to get far enough away that it wouldn't endanger any lives.

The big problem with storing power or primers outside is always going to be temperature, and possible condensation, which CAN deteriorate both of them. The more controlled and stable the temp is where they're stored, the better the shelf life. I'll continue storing my powder and primers inside, in the A/C here in Ga., but I DO want something to keep them in that's more appropriate than just sitting them on shelves like I have for so very, very long now.

What do you guys think about the wood/aluminum/sheetrock setup?

bob208
09-04-2015, 10:13 PM
no ones business what I have or don't have.

Budzilla 19
09-04-2015, 10:32 PM
I don't have any primers, or powder,either, for that matter.

therealhitman
09-04-2015, 11:02 PM
Even a deeply involved reloader should have no reason to store more than 1,000 of each of large rifle, large rifle magnum, small rifle, large pistol, large pistol magnum, small pistol, small pistol magnum, and shotshell primers.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH... OH... OH... STOP... HAHAHAHAH... NO... NO... HAHAHAHA...

oh wait, they're serious?

Bad Water Bill
09-05-2015, 09:36 AM
Back when I started reloading I asked my local PD how they safely stored their reloading components.

Their answer was to get a junk refrigerator line the insides with carefully fitted 3/4 plywood and install a well fitted door for the front of the box you have created inside of the fridge.

According to them your concrete walls might start to melt before the goodies would be any hazard.

NO I never tried to find out if they were correct and hope I will never find out.

rtracy2001
09-05-2015, 10:08 AM
The key to storing primers safely, is the original container. Unless you have really, really old primers like what my FIL gave me (loose packed in a small round tin, which I loaded up directly) the original plastic storage trays are designed to reduce/eliminate sympathetic detonation if dropped, kicked over, or otherwise mishandled. Storing them in the original container inside a 50 cal. ammo can does not create a bomb under normal and conceivable abnormal HANDLING. I am in the process of packing up to move, so my primers will come out of the particle board dresser they are currently stored in and will go into ammo cans (in their original packaging). Those ammo cans will then go into heavy duty moving boxes with suitable markings "fragile, do not drop, etc." No identification as primers, I am moving myself an prying eyes don't need to know.

Fire protection is another animal. I have not experimented with primers and fire, so I have no first hand knowledge on how hot they need to get before they can go off. I have had a 22lr go off in a smelting pot, but I don't know if that was the priming compound or the powder itself that was first to go. I would probably not take any more precaution than is already indicated for the storage of any other reloading supply or ammunition storage. No sources of ignition in the storage area, original packaging, and a minimization of combustible clutter. I also keep the door to the reloading room locked when I am not in there. In the event of a house fire, the only thing really worth saving is the family. Get them out and notify first responders that A. you have all the family, and B. you do have flammable materials stored in X location within the premises.

On precaution I am considering for the new house (well new to me) is the installation of a sprinkler system in the reloading room. Seems to be cheap insurance.

Bad Water Bill
09-05-2015, 10:21 AM
A friend and retired fire chief recommended installing PLASTIC water pipes in that area.

The pipes will rupture and burst to become your inexpensive sprinkler system.

mdi
09-05-2015, 12:29 PM
This topic is right up there with "handloads for self defense" in frequency and importance. How many of you have had a Fire Marshal inspect your home/shop/garage? Does you home insurance agent inspect your home (I know, "in case of fire my claim could be dismissed because I stored primers and powder"). I've never had a fire in my shop or reloading components storage area. Common sense seems to get lost when discussing reloading components. I'm not saying dump them all in a glass jar and put it in your kitchen beside the canned beans, but think. Ill bet most have chemicals/items in their garage more dangerous than primers that are in the original containers (any body store gasoline for the lawnmower, of have spray cans of paint or other volatile solvents). I have been reloading for 30 years and as long as the primers are kept dry, all have worked as designed. I have had a container of primers (a plastic tub approx.14"x24"x 8" high) fall of a 6' high shelf during an earthquake. No explosion. Not saying to not take precautions but just think, use common sense. A vast majority of auto accidents occur within 5 miles of home, so how many of you don your helmet when driving yer pick up going to the 7-11 for a six-pak of Coke?

If you want to go to the trouble (?) of constructing a special box or bring in an old 'frige for component storage great, jes don't preach the "Safety Necessities" of your choiceand a new reloader must do the same. My choice has worked for 30 years and I have 12,000+ primers on hand (I guess I'm a bomb waiting to explode :twisted:).

Some will flame me 'cause I'm dangerous or being cavalier about safety (I was a shop safety rep for a very large city water department), but I'm just saying many new reloaders are overly cautioned, scared about some simple things like primer storage...

Rant over.

mongoose33
09-06-2015, 12:44 AM
It's not hard to make a wooden box out of 1" nominal boards. I made one up for my primers.

I also have a larger wooden "safe" for my powder. Same 1" nominal boards.

Everybody can make their own choices, of course.

pretzelxx
09-06-2015, 04:14 AM
Ammo cans with good seals and borrowed desiccant from shoe stores... Makes a good storage when there's foam padding inside!

Bad Water Bill
09-06-2015, 08:18 AM
Love those ammo cans.

I still have some baby food jars around that I drill 1/4 diameter holes in the lids then cover the holes with old nylons or the like and fill the bottles with silica jell.

One bottle in each ammo can of casting moulds is still working great for me after over 40+ long years and still no signs of rust anywhere.

jonp
09-06-2015, 08:39 AM
I still haven't gotten my new reloading room put together yet, and I've been thinking about just this question - storage of primers AND powder. I've gotten an idea and would appreciate some comments/evaluations. I'm thinking about building a wooden box with alum. foil liner and inner insulation of sheetrock. Box to be easily enough to open that it won't contain and build pressure in case either primers or powder ignited.

This, I'm thinking, would prevent detonation of the powder, and provide sufficient temp transfer that if the inside reaches ignition point, the home is already gone anyway. It's been proven in actual experiments, and by observations of homes that had significant ammo, primers and powder in them actually burn, that the "kaboom" most expect just doesn't happen. Now with real black powder, though, that may be quite different! That would probably need two staggered layers of wood/alum/sheetrock to be "safe" enough to get far enough away that it wouldn't endanger any lives.

The big problem with storing power or primers outside is always going to be temperature, and possible condensation, which CAN deteriorate both of them. The more controlled and stable the temp is where they're stored, the better the shelf life. I'll continue storing my powder and primers inside, in the A/C here in Ga., but I DO want something to keep them in that's more appropriate than just sitting them on shelves like I have for so very, very long now.

What do you guys think about the wood/aluminum/sheetrock setup?

Get a 4x8 sheet of foil backed foam insulation and cut to fit your box. Solve two problems at once or you can get a roll of foil bubble wrap insulation and use that. Works great unless your using the sheetrock as a 2cd fire block. If the wooden box is on fire I doubt it matters what the inside is made of unless its asbestos. If that is what you are going for then buy one of those fire proof sheets you place on the floor to set your woodstove on.

opos
09-06-2015, 09:01 AM
I store both primers and powder in a climate controlled room. they are not stored together..primers in the boxes they came in and powder in 1# containers....they are all in drawers in an old bedroom set I have...there are primers in a big old clunker of a night stand (weighs about 50#) and the powder in an old dresser...I leave the drawers open a crack so if there were a fire there is no containment...I also do something else...everything is sitting in the canvas, "environmental" grocery store bags with the handles...about 5# of powder per bag and a bunch of primer boxes per bag...reason?..if we get a fire and I got the time and can safely get to them....I can grab them and toss everything out the window into an open gravel area outside the house....wouldn't want to take the time to hunt up a bag and try to pack them up so they sit in the drawers "ready to toss" if I had the opportunity...There is no heat nor electricity or electrical appliance near the dresser or night stand...they are just dedicated, heavy wood storage drawers that stay a crack open all the time.

Since I only have 200 primers and 5# of powder I guess it isn't anything to worry about.

claude
09-06-2015, 09:32 AM
I'm just saying many new reloaders are overly cautioned, scared about some simple things like primer storage...

What the man said.

KnotRight
09-06-2015, 09:35 PM
All my primers are stored in a plastic containers in a wooden cabinet. My open powder is in a metal storage cabinet with my reloading supplies and my unopened powder is inside the house.

Garyshome
09-06-2015, 09:55 PM
I caught 10,000 primers last time i went fishin!

mozeppa
09-06-2015, 11:07 PM
yeah....i have about a hunnert....i'm o-k ain't i?

rtracy2001
09-06-2015, 11:58 PM
Packed up my primers today. (Getting ready to move, hopefully). Still in original packaging, 5000 per HF plastic ammo box, 5 plastic ammo boxes per moving box. Labeled "do not drop" and placed on the bottom of the stack (4 high). Don't expect any problems with them.

S.B.
09-12-2015, 04:46 PM
I store all of mine in a Navy ammo can with a good seal on it, big, lots of room, grey in color.
Steve

lightman
09-13-2015, 08:55 AM
My rule for powder and primers has always been a dry location,with stable temp and no direct sunlight. I store both my powder and primers on a shelf near my loading bench. The room is climate controlled and the shelves are out of the direct sunlight. Both powder and primers are in their original containers. I see no problem for those who use the MTM dry boxes or even the ones who have built wooden boxes or lockers.