PDA

View Full Version : question

hobbles
04-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Afternoon boys,
The questions begin,,
I got my melter today, I have a 45 cal mold I am learning on till my 527 one gets here, Now,,, I have fine wavy lines in the balls, I changed the temp up and down and leaned the mold but I still get em,, I smoked then but am still doin something wrong, I did get 1 darn near perfect, but that was out of bout 150,, What's my next move??

I know it's hard to sea, I am hopin some one knows what I am talkin bout,,, I don't
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/hobbles/balls.jpg

44man
04-05-2006, 06:18 PM
If your mould has been cleaned of all oil, the only thing that will cause wrinkles is that the mould or lead is too cold. Pure lead has to be cast hotter then an alloy.
Did you use brake cleaner or hot soapy water and a brush to clean the new mould? If you did, turn the heat up, way up and cast faster, just wait long enough for the sprue to harden properly.

hobbles
04-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Afternoon 44man
Naa, I didn't clean the mold, I forgot bout that, But I learn't what happen's when I don't, So it's a start,,, Thanks,, a lot,,,,, Ya know how us new guys are,

SharpsShooter
04-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Lotsa heat, clean and hot mould should fix you up

floodgate
04-06-2006, 12:24 AM
hobbles: If you're using PURE lead, a few little ripples like those are normal, and won't hurt a thing. One percent or so of tin will smooth them out, but will make them a bit harder. OK for patched balls in a Muzzle-Loader; not so hot with Minie' or Mickey balls. floodgate

hobbles
04-06-2006, 04:03 AM
Mornin SharpsShooter
Lotsa heat and clean,, Thanks,, I'm on it,,,

hobbles
04-06-2006, 04:05 AM
Mornin floodgate
I am usin ww, I got some from another guy and they looked great,, I'll get it with a little help from my friends,,,,

floodgate
04-06-2006, 01:01 PM
hobbles:

What are you going to use those .45 round balls in? If a cap-and-ball revolver, you may find the wheel-weight ones too hard to force into the chambers, and risk breaking the loading lever. These prefer pure lead or lead with just a touch of tin. If used with a patch in a rifle, they may work OK. Personally, I stick to pure or near-pure lead in all my front-loaders - but then, I'm pretty conservative that way.

floodgate

44man
04-06-2006, 07:08 PM
WW's too hard for muzzle loaders!

waksupi
04-06-2006, 08:39 PM
WW's too hard for muzzle loaders!

Tell that to the people I have beat in shooting matches, and the deer, elk, and antelope I have killed with them, over the last 30+ years. There is always someone who doesn't get the word! :drinks:

44man
04-07-2006, 08:37 AM
That is based on the proper fit of a round ball and patch, as below;
Ball size .450, patch thickness .012
Ball size .500, thickness .012
Ball size .540, thickness .012
These are the most accurate but hardest to load. Reducing the ball diameter and using thicker patches will give equal results, as below;
Ball size .445
Ball size .495 and
Ball size .535 will all take .020" patches.
In the .54 with denim patches that measure .0235 but with a COMPRESSED thickness of .015" and a .535 ball I have shot fantasic groups. This load even had one cigarette paper under the patch, picture below.
The first requirement for accuracy in the round ball rifle is that the patch must engrave the ball in the GROOVES at least .005" and I can give you a lot more info. I am not new to muzzle loaders either! I have 49 years playing with and building these things.
If you are using balls .010" under bore size, I can see you stuffing hard lead in with a thin patch but you will NOT get it in with the proper ball and patch size!
This is a 5 shot group that measures .525 at 50 yd's.

waksupi
04-07-2006, 08:41 AM
Well, heck, I can dig some of those targets out for a hundred yards, back when I could still see. With pillow ticking, and WW round balls. [smilie=1:

44man
04-07-2006, 08:50 AM
If you would like to see a few pictures of rifles I have built, just ask. I will give you an example. I design all my own, make them from planks of maple, make all of my brass parts except the trigger guard and buttplate and I buy the barrels and locks.

44man
04-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Another view, this is a swamped barrel, 45", .45 caliber and I put silver inlays in the barrel. It is fully carved and engraved.

waksupi
04-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Looks good. Let's see some more! How do you roll your hinges for the patchbox?

44man
04-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Waksupi, don't get like Joe on me! I have not said it can't be done and that you are not getting results, but for the average muzzle loader shooter, he will not get that hard ball in the gun without ruining it and busting his hand and starter.
First, dig out your 100 yd groups and post them.
Second, you had better post what you load with so this fellow using hard lead can load them in his rifle without a hammer.

44man
04-07-2006, 09:15 AM
I anneal the tabs and form them around a pin. I form the lid on a wooden form. The hardest part is cutting it all out and filing a slight taper on the edges so it will inlay without any gaps.