PDA

View Full Version : Oversize Primers?

08-20-2009, 06:57 PM
I have some 7mm Rem Mag brass that has been fired alot with moderate loads. The cases are in great shape with no thinning at the web. I plan on annealing the necks. My only concern is that the primer pockets are somewhat enlarged. While they do hold the Winchester Primers I use the resistance felt when seating them is minimal. Is there a make of primer that is larger in diameter than Winchesters in anyones experience? While I know that the brass will not last forever I feel I can get a little more life from them.

Cadillo
08-20-2009, 07:04 PM
While not any larger, CCI primers are usually harder requiring a bit more pressure to seat. This MAY help a LITTLE bit.

tactikel
08-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Enlarged primer pockets are a sure sign your brass has about had it. With a hi intensity load like the 7mm Rem Mag you are only asking for a case failure. Please consider picking up some new brass asap.

beagle
08-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Yep, I agree, time for new brass.

I have heard of people reconditioning primer pockets with an RCBS primer pocket swaging tool and getting a few more firings out of the case but with a potent round like the 7mm Mag which is easily come by, replace them./beagle

StarMetal
08-20-2009, 07:27 PM
beagle gave the best advise, but if you absolutely have to use the brass try Wolf primers. They seat hard in everything I've used them in.

Joe

fredj338
08-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Time for new brass. While some primers are slighlty smaller (RP), I'm not sure any are slightly larger. I found RWS primer pockets very tight & the only primer that goes in readily is the RP. As the other guys said, enlarged primer pockets mean your case head has expanded. That can be from high pressure loads or just soft brass. Are they Federal cases? Worst rifle brass out there IMO, very soft.

MtGun44
08-21-2009, 02:02 PM
I would also suggest that perhaps those "moderate" loads aren't so moderate.

This is unless the cases have been loaded so many times that the primer insertion and
removal has worn the pockets mechanically, which seems unlikely to me since I have
.45 ACP brass that I have loaded for 25 yrs and has hit the ejector of my 1911s so
many times as to batter the headstamp until is it gone - but these very, very old
cases still have tight primer pockets. Of course, they are pistol cases, so it might be
different with the rifle, even with 'moderate' loads.

Seems like you are at high enough pressure to stretch the primer pockets, and you need
new brass for sure. Possibly a new calibration of 'moderate', but I might be wrong on
that.

Bill

fredj338
08-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Seems like you are at high enough pressure to stretch the primer pockets, and you need
new brass for sure. Possibly a new calibration of 'moderate', but I might be wrong on
that.

Bill
SOme brass is just soft in the head area. Loads for my 338-06 are fine in Norma, Win or RP brass, stretch the primer pockets in Fed. Match brass. It's just soft & doesn't handle reloads well.

mike in co
08-21-2009, 03:23 PM
SOme brass is just soft in the head area. Loads for my 338-06 are fine in Norma, Win or RP brass, stretch the primer pockets in Fed. Match brass. It's just soft & doesn't handle reloads well.

the other way around...maybe....it will handle reloads IF the loads are correct for the brass.....

mike in co
ps
i work up a load, and then shoot it twice in my factory 300 win mag and 7 rem mag. scrap the brass.

O.S.O.K.
08-21-2009, 03:40 PM
I will add another 'vote' for new brass.

Better safe than sorry. IMHO

Ken O
08-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Try Wolf primers. I run on the edge with Palma loads, and the pockets are kinda loose with WW primers, but the Wolfs are nice and snug.

fredj338
08-21-2009, 11:38 PM
the other way around...maybe....it will handle reloads IF the loads are correct for the brass.....

mike in co
ps
i work up a load, and then shoot it twice in my factory 300 win mag and 7 rem mag. scrap the brass.

I would agree, but if the load works in RP, Norma & Win, but expands the pockets in Fed. then the Fed. is softer. Yes, I could back the load down 1gr & get to 5x w/ Fed, the brass is still too soft. The same load in the other brass goes 10X plus w/o showing PP expansion, Federal rifle brass is just soft.:sad:

StarMetal
08-21-2009, 11:41 PM
I won't use Federal rifle brass. Their pistol brass is dynamite, love it. I can't wear it out. My problem with their rifle brass is loose primer pockets after the first factory firing.

Joe