PDA

View Full Version : Win 94 vs Marlin 336 ?

Dave B
08-20-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before, but this has a little different twist. At the local gun store, I found an as new unfired Win 94 Canadian Centennial. Long oct bbl 24-26? nice wood, crescent butt , a little funky engraving on the side. 30-30. As a nice plinker with lead bullets, or maybe a silhoutte shooter, which would you rather have? This or a new 336 for about $50 less. I dont like the cheap engraving on the Win, but I dont like the pistol grip on the Marlin. How do you put a peep on the Win? Can the trigger be lightened and smoothed? Any thoughts on the pair?

beagle
08-20-2009, 07:00 PM
My preferences are as yours when it comes to engraving...I don't care for it.

My preferences for slinging lead bullets out of the .30/30 lean toward Winchester as Marlins normally have microgroove rifling and I've never had really good results accuracy wise with that type rifling (and I know I'll get all kinds of comments to thecontrary but I calls 'em as I sees 'em).

Marlins are much easier to field strip for cleaning from the rear. Marlins are much easier to scope as well.

Were it me and I was hunting a cast bullet .30/30. I'd look for an old, clean M94 Winchester angle eject and go that route. I mount a scope from time to time on my M94 Legacy and occasionally I mount a Lyman receiver sight but most of the time it wears the irons it was born with. Much faster and easier to hadle and fine up to about 100 yards for plinking.

MHO./beagle

Marlinreloader
08-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Oh Lordy,

This is one of those 50% will say Winny the other 50% will say Marlin. There are so many different things to look at and most are personal preference. I have both and prefer the Marlin pistol grip for a little longer shot and win for brush. My Marlins tend to be a liitle more accurate for me.

As for the scope, there are mounts, you have an angle eject and some eject somewhat straight up.

Then you have dates of manufacturing to look at and saftey button issues.(For Some)

I would have to say all in all it really is what fits you the best and personal preference.

I'm not sure if that helps at all but you will soon learn, once you buy one more tend to follow.

Marlinreloader

StarMetal
08-20-2009, 07:33 PM
I'd get the Winchester because it's a little bit of a collector model, but it had that nice long octagon barrel. That's pretty cool. You'd have to buy the more expensive Marlin Cowboy to get that octagon barrel. Some of the Winchesters, I believe, were D&T'ed for receiver sights. Not sure if that model is angle eject or not, but if it is it's D&T'ed for a top mounted scope and the rear screw holes accept a Williams receiver sight specific for it as I have one on my 45 Colt Trapper Angle Eject.

Joe

MtGun44
08-21-2009, 12:31 AM
My Marlins are more accurate than my W94s. YMMV.

Bill

Jon K
08-21-2009, 01:07 AM
Yep............Like Ford or Chevy...Which one?

Here's my take, I agree get the one that fits.
For further consideration........peep sights, Reciever or tang?
Winchester lends itself better to the Tang Sight, cause it doesn't get in the way, when wrapping your hand over the tang. Marlin Tang(Marbles) uses a large block on the top of the tang, which forces the shooter to place the thumb on the side of the grip instead of wrapping over the top. Both require the tang to be drilled & tapped.
Both are easy to mount Williams or Lyman Reciever sights- no drilling and tapping involved.

So now the decision is all yours........Ford or Chevy.

Jon

jlchucker
08-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Back when they made that Winny, Winchester was creating commemoratives as fast as they could dream up something they could commemorate. Most had some form or other of ugly in the finished result, IMO, and a lot of them never gained anything in collector value until Winchester went out of business. One thing all of those had in common though, was a very good barrel. No "pre-64" issues on that score. The machinery that was used in that plant was old, in good condition, and run by employees with lots of seniority. In short, a large portion of those octagon barrels turned out to be excellent shooters for those that tried them out. I think you've got one of the better looking commemoratives made in that era, and despite the tacky "engraving" ( I don't recall if that one had an even tackier medallion as well) your Winny may in fact prove to be a pretty deadly shooter.

Trailblazer
08-21-2009, 09:40 AM
For iron sight use I would get the longest barrel I could find. I shoot much better with a 24" barrel than I do with a 20" barrel. If you have young eyes maybe it doesn't matter.

felix
08-21-2009, 09:44 AM
The older you get, the shorter the barrel for more offhand pleasure. Bigger and closer targets are necessary to see anyway. ... felix

45r
08-21-2009, 10:02 AM
I got a Marlin 35 rem with micro-groove and it is a tack driver with my Mtn mold boolits.It is a like new 1977 and the price was way to hard to resist.I like it a lot.

corvette8n
08-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Simple buy them both, I have both a pre64 Win and a post 64 win in .30-30 and and two Marlin 336's one built in 1978 and one from 1950.

Chuck 100 yd
08-21-2009, 10:50 PM
I have a bunch of both Win.94`s and Marlin 336 .30-30`s. (cant have too many .30-30`s! ) I just recently bought a Canadian Centennial 94 just for a plinker. It is a great shooter with cast bullets just like my Marlin .30-30`s (all ballard rifled, a dozen or so).

The Win Can. Cent. has a very tight chamber lead and bullets like the Lyman 311041 and the RD 165 are very hard to chamber when crimped into the crimp groove. The cast RCBS 150 FP chambers with a little resistance due to rifling engraving at the bullet nose but I can live with it and they shoot very well when cast of WW and loaded over 15gr.2400.

The Can. Cent. is drilled and tapped on the side for receiver sights such as the Lyman and the Williams. Simple installation. You will have to D&T one hole if you want a tang sight.

sharpshooter3040
08-23-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm sure this has been asked before, but this has a little different twist. At the local gun store, I found an as new unfired Win 94 Canadian Centennial. Long oct bbl 24-26? nice wood, crescent butt , a little funky engraving on the side. 30-30. As a nice plinker with lead bullets, or maybe a silhoutte shooter, which would you rather have? This or a new 336 for about $50 less. I dont like the cheap engraving on the Win, but I dont like the pistol grip on the Marlin. How do you put a peep on the Win? Can the trigger be lightened and smoothed? Any thoughts on the pair?

Hey Marlins are great as long as you re-barrel them. The microgroove , I haven't had any luck with shooting cast bullet either. When it come to blueprinting a project rifle Marlin is hands down the winner.

Doug

Lead Fred
08-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Yep............Like Ford or Chevy...Which one?

No more like Model A Ford, and 69 Camero Chevy.

The Winnies cant compare with the Marlins. Thats why they are out of business.

The Winnie design is from 1894, the Marlin 1949.

I have a Marlin, my bud has all Winnies. He is a third generation Winchester man.

Just yesterday, we went out and compared.

At the end this is what we decided.

I said, yours sure is faster to operate, I think Ill get one for fun.

He siad, Yours sure shoots further, and has a smaller group. I think Ill get one for hunting.

shdwlkr
08-23-2009, 04:14 PM
First the reason winchester model 94's aren't made anymore is more a marketing issue then a functional issue. They got off on all this special runs and calibers no one wanted and the public showed them so by not buying and sunk that part of the country now they only make special runs of the model 92 and 94 and guess what they sell.
Second which rifle you choose is more of a personal nature then functional.
I like winchesters because that was what was available when I was a kid getting my first centerfire and lever. My oldest son had a marlin and he broke the firing pin I don't know how many times in the rifle. My winchesters have never done that to me yet, but you never know when it could or will happen.
I have never seen enough difference in either with the same barrel length to really matter when comes to hunting with them. Never have owned a marlin myself and may never but then again I might. I do like the long barrel marlin in 45-70 and just might put my money down for one some day. But in the choice of a 336 or 94 both with short barrels, flip a coin and you will most likely never be dissatisfied.

NickSS
08-23-2009, 04:40 PM
I have both and several of each to boot. I will say this for the 30-30 I have shot litterally thousands of cast bullets from 30-30s and with a little load development both winnies and marlins shoot about the same for me. I have no trouble getting sub 2 inch 10 shot groups at 100 yards and sub 3 inch groups at 200 yards with either brand. All my rifles have reciever sights except one trapper carbine I use for heavy woods hunting that has the issue sights on it. As for carrying I prefer the 94 as it is slimmer and a little lighter in general. So my go to deer gun happens to be a 94 that I bought new in 1970 and it shows years of use in the deer woods but still shoots just fine. I am sure that either rifle will serve you well and long but 30-30s are like lays potato chips you just can't have one.

kawalekm
08-23-2009, 04:55 PM
I lean towards Marlin because they now make the 1894 with Ballard rifling. I have a new .44 mag that has the new rifling. Since you can pull out the bolt through the rear of the action, you can clean the Marlin from the breech, protecting your muzzle.

shdwlkr
08-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Nickss
I here you on the 30-30 and only having one rifle. I was that way for a few years well decades and then I moved west and started replacing my firearms. Divorce took all I had before. Well I now have a few of them and always looking for another. I have one that has a 20 inch barrel and one with a 24 inch barrel and one with a 26 inch barrel. Now all I need is one with a 28 inch barrel and I will be happy.

1Shirt
08-23-2009, 06:51 PM
I would like to own many many of both! Just don't think you can have to many of either!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

charger 1
08-23-2009, 06:53 PM
(and I know I'll get all kinds of comments to thecontrary but I calls 'em as I sees 'em).

I certainly would differ Sir. Theres a saying among cast shooters round these parts....If the gun/s your taking to the range could go to the crapper, be sure and take your marlin cause then you know the day will be a good one. I've never found much depth difference in their micro or ballard to be honest and found them both to be scarey type accurate

Jon K
08-23-2009, 07:20 PM

He siad, Yours sure shoots further, and has a smaller group. I think Ill get one for hunting.

Model A vs '69 Camaro, I ve had both, and it's still a tough choice.

One doesn't shoot farther than the other, or more accurate than the other, do the load development right, and either will shoot as good as the other. But for the nut behind the gun................well that's another story.

Jon

shdwlkr
08-23-2009, 07:47 PM
1SHIRT
My goal is to have at least 2 of each length that I already have but I have limits on what I am willing to pay which makes it more interesting in the search as I do want a certain level of quality also.

btroj
08-23-2009, 07:59 PM
I like the idea of the longer barrel on the Win but far prefer the ease of stripping and cleaning the Marlin. I've also found the microgoroove to be no big deal in getting my 336 to shoot well. Took a bit of time to find out what it really likes but now that i know- it just works.

I suppose buying both is not an option?

James C. Snodgrass
08-23-2009, 08:06 PM
You mean that some one besides Winchester builds or built a rifle ??????????:kidding: I don't think you can go wrong with either but I don't have a marlin right now but will in the future . James

45-70 Plinker
08-23-2009, 09:17 PM
For iron sight use I would get the longest barrel I could find. I shoot much better with a 24" barrel than I do with a 20" barrel. If you have young eyes maybe it doesn't matter.

All of my levers have tang or peep sights on them. They range from marlin 94 in32-20 to 1894 in 47-70. The 444 is the only one that has ever caused me to flinch. I have a 336 30-30 without scope mount holes. Also both Win 94 Classic 30-30 and a 92 in 25-20. I also like the 1890 22 short.
Except for the 22 all are tack drivers with the right loads of cast boolets.
I have built a couple of "Cowboy" guns and like the Marlins because they don't through the boolet out the top when you lever them fast like the Wins do.[smilie=s:

shdwlkr
08-23-2009, 09:52 PM
haven't gone the peep sight route yet as I can see to shoot about 200 yards which is a good range for most levers anyways.

Griff
08-23-2009, 10:15 PM
DaveB,

I have 30 .30-30s. One of which is a Marlin 336. And while that makes me a Winchester fan, I have nothing against the Marlins, just found Winchesters in more interesting configurations and cheaper. Maybe there's a reason for that.

But, more to the point, for the past 25 years I've been cowboy action shooting... and one of my favorite events is the long range levergun side event. Ranges vary depending on the physical location of the match, but can be anywhere from 100 to about 350 yards. One of the most popular rifles are the Commemorative Winchester 94s. They have a good reputation as good shooters... maybe not target quality... but... certainly capable in the right hands.

A tang sight will require replacing the stock screw and drill & tapping another behind the hammer for the installation. I have several Mdl 94s with tang sights... And have no issues.

As for potential accuracy, the specifics of the individual gun has a greater influence over the capabilities rather than some inherent design element that makes one model better than the other. Whether ballard rifled or micro-groove, with the proper load development and "accurizing" either the Winchester or the Marlin could become your next best shooter. However, the Winchester, with the addition of a tang peep, has a tremendous advantage over the Marlin with the much longer sight radius with that 26" barrel.

I have a 26" Winchester .30-30 with a heavy octagon barrel that has fired a ¾" group @ 100 yards on a few ocassions, (lately running around an inch, older eyes and all), and has fired a 6" group @ 400 yards during a match. Any long distances I shot with it have all been on steel. The longest I've attempted has been 500 meters on rams. Not real successful, but I generally only shoot 150 grain GCFPs. I don't expect them to do all that well at that distance. But, an intermittent hit is still satisfying.

Good luck with your new rifle.

76 WARLOCK
08-23-2009, 10:42 PM
I have two Winchester 66 centennials I have had since new, would any of you shoot them?

Four Fingers of Death
08-24-2009, 01:53 AM
I like winchesters because that was what was available when I was a kid getting my first centerfire and lever.

My oldest son had a marlin and he broke the firing pin I don't know how many times in the rifle. My winchesters have never done that to me yet, but you never know when it could or will happen.

But in the choice of a 336 or 94 both with short barrels, flip a coin and you will most likely never be dissatisfied.

I will agree with these three points, always lusted after a 94 as that was what was on the shelves. Marlins were probably around, but I can honestly say I never saw one until the late 70s (I was around 30 at that time). My first introduction to the Marlin was when I walked into the gun shop (soon to become a second home to me) and the owner, his son and a guy who used to work part time were giving a big detective in a suit a bake cause he broke the firing pin on his Marlin. It was a 45/70 and he used to come into the shop every day at lunch time and take it down and shoot imaginary bad guys/pigs or whatever off the back wall of the shop. This went on for a few months while he had it on lay buy/ lay away I think you guys call it and it quit a few months after he finally paid it off. I have heard of several others over the years, but I have never heard of a Winchester having any problems whatsover.

Having said that hasn't predjucied me against Marlins, I just don't dry fire them much. To prove I'm an impartial witness :) I currently have six Marlins and two Winchesters. I suppose if the Winchesters were available freely in a bigger range od calibres, I would own more of them.

The shop owner and his son and employee became best friends, his son and worker were the witnesses at my first marriage, but the cop ended up stiffing me for a 405Gn RCBS mould, a set of handles, sizer die and a Lyman Cast Bullet Book. It seems he was protecing and serving his own interests. The other three guys are still valued friends, 30 years later.

Like the man said. either way, you'll be happy.

Lloyd Smale
08-24-2009, 06:46 AM
chev man through and through and a ford would never be in my driveway but i couldnt imagine a safe that didnt have both marlins and winchesters in it!!

ggeilman
08-24-2009, 12:40 PM
I have 2 Winchesters and 3 Marlins. A Winchester Classic and a Lonetar. It doesn't get fired. Marlins are 336 in 30-30, 1894 CB in 45 LC, 1895 CB in 45/70. I don't really have a preference on the 30-30's.

StarMetal
08-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Here's how I see the two. I favor the Winchesters. What I don't like about the Marlins are they are heavier, not as flat profile as the Winchesters, they have those bulbous forearms and fat stocks, and I feel Micro-Groove is just a gimmick. Marlin sure hasn't proven anything in my book going to it. Their 22's aren't anymore accurate then anyone else's with regular rifling, in fact they are just average. Now Marlin does good machine work on their rifles and they are easier to mount a scope on. Mounting that scope and side ejection, I feel, are the only things Marlin thinks they have going them. I don't care for their firing pin setup, which has been known for problems. The fact the Marlin doesn't have an open top receiver doesn't make it any stronger then the Winchester. From scouring the internet I find that Winnie is the stronger of the two.
I own one Marlin, a 45 Colt Cowboy. When I was young and started hunting deer my brother had a 336 Marlin. I could have taken it hunting as I didn't own a rifle. Instead I borrowed my cousin's Model 94 Winchester. It was lighter and handier and with young eyes I didn't need a scope in those thick Pa wood.

Maybe it all boils down to whether you like a Chevy or a Ford.

Joe

45-70 Plinker
08-24-2009, 01:40 PM
I have two Winchester 66 centennials I have had since new, would any of you shoot them?

Put them in their original boxes in a nice closet somewhere safe then go find you a 94 Classic and shoot that.

I notice that in my last post I made several mistypes. I can only put them to my lack of typing skill. I hit things with one rifle better than these keys with two fingers.

Four Fingers of Death
08-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Put them in their original boxes in a nice closet somewhere safe then go find you a 94 Classic and shoot that.

I notice that in my last post I made several mistypes. I can only put them to my lack of typing skill. I hit things with one rifle better than these keys with two fingers.

If yer not shooting them, they are a pretty sad investment. Unless you like looking at them, I'd sell them and put the money in the bank. Commemorative Winchesters are nice guns as a rule, but would have to be one of the worst investments anyone could make, Value wise they are worth a fraction of what they cost new.

MtGun44
08-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Sharpshooter3040.

You need to try larger diameter boolits. Most folks have had poor results in microgroove
bbls with 'std' diameters and good or very good results from a few thousandths larger
diameter.

Bill

Hurricane
08-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Both Winchester and Marlin make fine rifles. Lining up the pros and cons will not work because it is to scientific. My way to make this kind of decision, and it has never failed me, is to look at both of them and take the one that just looks best to you. It may sound crazy but pride of ownership is important and a good looking rifle is nice to have.

jimkim
08-24-2009, 10:06 PM
There's only one thing to do. Hold out for a model '93 Marlin. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=138190760#PIC

Lead Fred
08-24-2009, 10:17 PM
One doesn't shoot farther than the other, or more accurate than the otherJon

He was using 32 Speical 170gr flat nose, I was using 30-30 Lever Evo.

He was correct, I just out classed his 20 year old ammo

Ill be getting a Winnie 94 in 30-30 next gun show.

StarMetal
08-24-2009, 10:41 PM

The Winnies cant compare with the Marlins. Thats why they are out of business.

The Winnie design is from 1894, the Marlin 1949.

I have a Marlin, my bud has all Winnies. He is a third generation Winchester man.

Just yesterday, we went out and compared.

At the end this is what we decided.

I said, yours sure is faster to operate, I think Ill get one for fun.

Let him shoot your rifle, I'll bet he shoots lousy groups with it too.
Winchester isn't out of business. Marlin never a made a centerfire bolt action worth poop either. The pre 64 (which is still being made) is a classic bolt rifle and you know it. Most of what Marlin ever made were lever actions and 22 rimfires. Winchester made just about every kind of firearm. They make ammunition too. So that settles it, Winchester is better then Marlin. [smilie=s:

Joe

Buckshot
08-25-2009, 01:40 AM
.............I believe it's details between the 2 more then anything else. Not just Ford or Chevy but more in how useable are the cupholders in the 2 :-) Right up front I'll say I'm biased. I've owned 2 Marlin 1893's and only one M1894 Win. The Winchester wouldn't shoot anything worth a Tinkers Dam. Both Marlins were as willing as little fat puppies to shoot ANYTHING I cared to feed them.

That is nothing to be conclusive about, and I also have to add that after the 1893, and the 1936 Marlin quit making attractive lever actions. I do NOT care for the round bolt versions at all. They may be better in all respects, but to my eye the squarebolts are much the better looking action. And that fat wood? Crap is what it is, and what are they thinking? So as you can see, my personal likes and dislikes is based on my perception of attractiveness.

I'd rather have an older Win M94, especially in some nifty cartridge like the 32-40 or 38-55 then any brand new round bolt Marlin. My only real dislikes about the M94 is the rattely floorplate and lever, and the inability to easily clean from the breech. Hopefully it'd shoot!

http://www.fototime.com/47DD87E404FADAE/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/9F5891A7D1FCEBE/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/34A89A527939537/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/1BADD2284797AF1/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/9B6139BD46243C8/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/1B284DC94ADF118/standard.jpg

The above has a shotgun butt, half octagon-half round 26" bbl with a half magazine and chambered in 38-55. The other M93 I had had been my G-Grandfathers but went to my brother. I had it for about 14 years and hoped he'd forgotten about it :-) It was your standard ole Marlin 30-30. Cresent butt and a 26" tapered octagon barrel. As I said, both these rifles just fell all over themselves to shoot exceedingly well, cast OR jacketed.

I'm not personally interested in the least in owning a new Marlin round bolt lever gun. Save your bucks, and for probably not much more you can hunt up a good old one in fine shape like the link to the one jimkim copied. Now THAT would be a Marlin!

..............Buckshot

cbrick
08-25-2009, 01:16 PM
It's good to hear that there are some of those Winchester Canadian Centennial model 30-30 (26 inch octagon) that shoot well, mine didn't and was one of the most frustrating rifles I've ever owned.

I got it because I fell in love with the long octagon barrel at first site. It's a beautiful rifle and I got a pretty good deal on it.

I only shoot cast. Period. If I don’t pour it what’s the point of trying to hit a target with it? I also take a fair amount of pride in working up loads that do not lead.

I didn’t work with this rifle a lot but every time I did take that Winnie out I spent two nights trying to get the lead out of it. It was leaded from one end to the other, heavy leading even with as few as 15-20 rounds and it wouldn’t hit a 100 yard target much less group. I tried everything I could think of from boolits with five lube grooves to 31 Caliber moulds and it leaded. Ok, it sat in the safe for a few years before I slid my head out of my hieny and did a chamber cast. Holy obama droppings bat man . . . NO throat was ever cut, right at the end of the case mouth the rifling started. This rifle is one of the prime reasons I invested in a bore scope and it showed that it had a very good bore (slugged at .3095” though) but a very sharp edge where the rifling started that peeled off lead and smeared it down the bore.

Happy days, my smith just happened to have a 30-30 chamber reamer so off to him it went. He also drilled & tapped it for the Marbles peep sight and did a nice trigger job and all for $40.00. Yep, $40.00, are ya jealous? Ok, my smith is a friend of mine and he did me a huge favor. It was a huge success, I can’t make this rifle lead now and it’s a fine shooter for an old lever gun as long as I keep the bullet diameter at .310”+.

Marlins? I’m a bit dismayed with Marlin lately. I bought a model 94 Cowboy 45 Colt, 20” octagon barrel on GunBroker. In perfect shape, not a mark on it, a beautiful rifle. Folks, if you don’t really want to know do not buy or even use a bore scope, it WILL tell you things that you may not want to know. The bore on this Marlin was clearly nearly un-fired AND it was the very worst bore that I have ever seen. The rifling looked like it was hacked out with a chisel and that is not an exaggeration, it was terrible, maybe horrible is a better word. I sent it back to Marlin with a note explaining my complaint and that I bought it used. Three months and $180.00 later I got the rifle back. Once again, if you don’t want to know do not use a bore scope. The new barrel was better than the original but not by a lot. Bummer, no sense sending it back and getting another bore like that. Since then I’ve taken the bore scope to gun shops and looked at the bores of more brand new Marlins, one 45-70 that I was buying, even started the paper work on it before I looked at the bore. I cancelled the purchase before I got the scope out of the bore. A few months after that one of the shooters at our club showed up with a brand new Marlin 30-30 and I asked him if I could look down the bore. No better than the 45-70 that I refused to buy. I have no idea what’s going on at Marlin but I sure hope this is a temporary glitch. The outside is as good as any levergun you’ve ever seen and every bore I’ve looked at with the scope was terrible.

Rick

StarMetal
08-25-2009, 03:40 PM
It's good to hear that there are some of those Winchester Canadian Centennial model 30-30 (26 inch octagon) that shoot well, mine didn't and was one of the most frustrating rifles I've ever owned.

I got it because I fell in love with the long octagon barrel at first site. It's a beautiful rifle and I got a pretty good deal on it.

I only shoot cast. Period. If I don’t pour it what’s the point of trying to hit a target with it? I also take a fair amount of pride in working up loads that do not lead.

I didn’t work with this rifle a lot but every time I did take that Winnie out I spent two nights trying to get the lead out of it. It was leaded from one end to the other, heavy leading even with as few as 15-20 rounds and it wouldn’t hit a 100 yard target much less group. I tried everything I could think of from boolits with five lube grooves to 31 Caliber moulds and it leaded. Ok, it sat in the safe for a few years before I slid my head out of my hieny and did a chamber cast. Holy obama droppings bat man . . . NO throat was ever cut, right at the end of the case mouth the rifling started. This rifle is one of the prime reasons I invested in a bore scope and it showed that it had a very good bore (slugged at .3095” though) but a very sharp edge where the rifling started that peeled off lead and smeared it down the bore.

Happy days, my smith just happened to have a 30-30 chamber reamer so off to him it went. He also drilled & tapped it for the Marbles peep sight and did a nice trigger job and all for $40.00. Yep, $40.00, are ya jealous? Ok, my smith is a friend of mine and he did me a huge favor. It was a huge success, I can’t make this rifle lead now and it’s a fine shooter for an old lever gun as long as I keep the bullet diameter at .310”+.

Marlins? I’m a bit dismayed with Marlin lately. I bought a model 94 Cowboy 45 Colt, 20” octagon barrel on GunBroker. In perfect shape, not a mark on it, a beautiful rifle. Folks, if you don’t really want to know do not buy or even use a bore scope, it WILL tell you things that you may not want to know. The bore on this Marlin was clearly nearly un-fired AND it was the very worst bore that I have ever seen. The rifling looked like it was hacked out with a chisel and that is not an exaggeration, it was terrible, maybe horrible is a better word. I sent it back to Marlin with a note explaining my complaint and that I bought it used. Three months and $180.00 later I got the rifle back. Once again, if you don’t want to know do not use a bore scope. The new barrel was better than the original but not by a lot. Bummer, no sense sending it back and getting another bore like that. Since then I’ve taken the bore scope to gun shops and looked at the bores of more brand new Marlins, one 45-70 that I was buying, even started the paper work on it before I looked at the bore. I cancelled the purchase before I got the scope out of the bore. A few months after that one of the shooters at our club showed up with a brand new Marlin 30-30 and I asked him if I could look down the bore. No better than the 45-70 that I refused to buy. I have no idea what’s going on at Marlin but I sure hope this is a temporary glitch. The outside is as good as any levergun you’ve ever seen and every bore I’ve looked at with the scope was terrible.

Rick

You fellows know by now I'm not too keen on Marlins. I've also stated I have a Marlin Cowboy, original early model, with the 24 inch octagon barrel. Well it's doesn't lead and it's one of the most accurate lever actions I've owned. When I do clean the bore it cleans right out and feels very smooth. Reckon I was lucky maybe. From what I've been told that Ballard rifles is buttoned, not cut...and yes that is possible. If so I don't see why the Marlins in the quoted post are so rough. Maybe Marlin skips the honing process after the reaming. Button rifling usually smooths things out some too.

Joe

cbrick
08-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Dunno Joe, I am not trying to start a brand war here, just posted my recent (last couple of years) experiences.

And as I said, I hope it's a temporary glitch.

This is partuculary sad for me since I do like Marlins, though I wouldn't buy one now without a careful look through the bore.

Rick

StarMetal
08-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Dunno Joe, I am not trying to start a brand war here, just posted my recent (last couple of years) experiences.

And as I said, I hope it's a temporary glitch.

This is partuculary sad for me since I do like Marlins, though I wouldn't buy one now without a careful look through the bore.

Rick

Well cbrick...kind of like if you ever took a tour through a meat processing plant you may never eat meat again including hotdogs, baloni, and salami. If you ever looked at your teeth under an microscope you'd wonder how they felt so smooth, same for hair.

I have a lot of rough bore military rifles that not only shoot good, they do it without leading.

Put that bore away and just use it to check throat erosion.

Joe

shdwlkr
08-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Rick
You are just to fussy a person and that has got you into trouble on several occasions. Like when you thought that Redding made quality stuff and now you expect Marlin or for that matter winchester to make a qaulity rifle.
Rick mellow out and realize things just don't always work out for the best for all of us. Ha Ha
Me I have a very old octagon barreled winchester that shoots just fine but it was made when folks cared. I have another one even again made when they cared that works just fine now that I fixed the elevator assembly. I even have one that was made in the last 30 years that works fine.
I have never looked down the bore of my rifles to see just what is really there and maybe that is why my rifles work for me. You ignorance is bliss kind of thing.
I am really am sorry to hear that you are not having a good time with your rifles and that are not really a happy camper. I do hope things get better for you.

cbrick
08-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Not completely accurate shdwlkr, I've used the bore scope to look at some pretty nice bores, they just weren't recent marlins. A Remington 7-08 new in the same store with the Marlin 45-70 that I almost bought was about as nice as it gets. And the Marlins I'm talking about were much more than ""rough bores"".

The Redding stuff I refered to is/was junk. Period. Redding refused to honor their written warranty. Period. The only reason I dropped the issue was getting back to work at 17-19 hours a day, by the time I had the time to deal with it I said the h*ll with it.

I guess some people are willing to pay good money for something that is supposed to right and then accept junk. I'm not.

Rick

shdwlkr
08-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Rick
I am glad you have seen some really nice bores. I have seen some junk that you didn't need anything to see that the bores were ruined. Like the cleaning pad being cut to shreds in just a pass or two down the bore.
I grew up close to the redding plant well within an 1 1/2 hour drive and I can remember when you could go to the plant and buy your reloading items. I have seen in the last few years things have gotten to be really a big hit miss type of deal.
I have some really nice dies and reloading items from the old Redding Company that I knew but alas they are gone now.
I would say look to RCBS, or for that matter anyone who makes dies but Redding. I read you deal with them and it was totally wrong on their part as they did nothing to satisfy the customer which is the first rule of business keep the customer happy.

StarMetal
08-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Rick
I am glad you have seen some really nice bores. I have seen some junk that you didn't need anything to see that the bores were ruined. Like the cleaning pad being cut to shreds in just a pass or two down the bore.
I grew up close to the redding plant well within an 1 1/2 hour drive and I can remember when you could go to the plant and buy your reloading items. I have seen in the last few years things have gotten to be really a big hit miss type of deal.
I have some really nice dies and reloading items from the old Redding Company that I knew but alas they are gone now.
I would say look to RCBS, or for that matter anyone who makes dies but Redding. I read you deal with them and it was totally wrong on their part as they did nothing to satisfy the customer which is the first rule of business keep the customer happy.

Ha, I couldn't disagree more. RCBS's dies are junk. Gone are the hardened all the way through dies to these new coated surface hardened dies they have now. Probably made in China. Redding still beats everyone else and also another good die is the Forester. I haven't bough a Lyman in years so can't say what they make now. I think Hornady is crappy too.

I was cutting a new RCBS die on my lathe (it cracked, imagine that) and once through the hardened surface I thought the core was made of lead or something because it was so soft.

Joe

shdwlkr
08-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Starmetal
I said look to RCBS and now you have confirmed that they too have turned their backs on the reloaders except to take our money. I guess you are right it might be down to Fosters to be the only company left that care. I am glad to hear they are crap before spending my money so thank you very much.

mtgrs737
08-25-2009, 08:59 PM
I have the 336 and shoot cast in it. I would get the one that feels best to you, the one that you like the action on the best and just work up a load for it. If you can't make it shoot the way you want, then sell it and try the other one. Keep it simple, it works for me.

Four Fingers of Death
08-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Thos ebore scopes are scary things, too much information I'm thinking. My gunsmith friend shower me a Bbl through one and I wasn't impressed, he insisted it was ok. He then took a new Shilen match Bbl out of the wrapper and it was pretty gruesome as well. He finally took a Tru Flight Bbl out od the wrapper and 'said this one will be alright'. Sure as shooting it was as smooth as all get out. He said they were all like that. He went on to say that the Shilen and the Tru Flight would shoot as well as each other, but the Shilen would need a bit of running in.

Lead Fred
08-26-2009, 02:47 AM
Winchester isn't out of business.

Im sure they went out of business in 1964.

It jsut took them until 2006 to figure that out :shock: