PDA

View Full Version : Primer Catcher Fix???????

carpetman
04-18-2005, 04:36 PM
I think I found a most simple fix for the RCBS Rockchucker not catching primers. The slot where an auto primer feed is installed which is not used by most,will be used for this. About 4 inches or so below that slot is another slot of the same thickness. Using my table saw I cut a strip of wood about 1/2" wide and the thickness of the slot. It is long enough to be flush with the top of the upper slot and stick into the lower slot a short distance. There are already set screws there to attach the primer feed block. When you put it in place dont go to the front edge of the upper slot---it will be in way when installing shell holders. You do want the bottom end to be all the way in,or it will create an unwanted pocket for the primers to fall into. So the stick will be installed on an angle---wider at top than bottom. It seems to work as a baffle and the primers don't go into the catcher but stay on the area around it-----which beats on the floor. As Floodgate mentioned,just rake them into the tray with your finger. For those without a table saw,You could possibly use a popsicle stick--- maybe even two popsicle sticks???????? I think they would be long enough and even if they are not as thick as the slot--no problem the set scres will hold it in. Would take a little cutting,but a paint stir stick should work too. BTW,how do people get by without a table saw? I know Buckshot would mill,lathe,drill press,hose clamp and duct tape a fancier rig,but I don't think metal would give as much cushioning baffle effect. Oh--the hose clamps would be stainless steel ofcourse. I did try 6 or 8 .243 cases and it worked 100% on that small batch. *edited for Buckshop to clarify it was wood cut on table saw(about 1/2"X 5" and maybe 1/4"thick. No metal parts were cut on table saw.

waksupi
04-18-2005, 05:34 PM
I have found if I just leave the fingers of my left hand at the base of the ram after putting in the casing, and running the case up, the primer will bounce on my fingers and stay in the catch tray. It only took me about thirty five years to discover this.

Scrounger
04-18-2005, 07:40 PM
I think I found a most simple fix for the RCBS Rockchucker not catching primers. The slot where an auto primer feed is installed which is not used by most,will be used for this. About 4 inches or so below that slot is another slot of the same thickness. Using my table saw I cut a strip about 1/2" wide and the thickness of the slot. It is long enough to be flush with the top of the upper slot and stick into the lower slot a short distance. There are already set screws there to attach the primer feed block. When you put it in place dont go to the front edge of the upper slot---it will be in way when installing shell holders. You do want the bottom end to be all the way in,or it will create an unwanted pocket for the primers to fall into. So the stick will be installed on an angle---wider at top than bottom. It seems to work as a baffle and the primers don't go into the catcher but stay on the area around it-----which beats on the floor. As Floodgate mentioned,just rake them into the tray with your finger. For those without a table saw,You could possibly use a popsicle stick--- maybe even two popsicle sticks???????? I think they would be long enough and even if they are not as thick as the slot--no problem the set scres will hold it in. Would take a little cutting,but a paint stir stick should work too. BTW,how do people get by without a table saw? I know Buckshot would mill,lathe,drill press,hose clamp and duct tape a fancier rig,but I don't think metal would give as much cushioning baffle effect. Oh--the hose clamps would be stainless steel ofcourse. I did try 6 or 8 .243 cases and it worked 100% on that small batch.

I'm having trouble understanding that. Can you show us a picture?

Buckshot
04-18-2005, 08:42 PM
I'm having trouble understanding that. Can you show us a picture?

...........Yeah. I thought Ray was gonna tell us he cut a slot in the ram with his table saw. [smilie=w:

............Buckshot

carpetman
04-18-2005, 11:04 PM
Buckshot--My post was edited for your clarification. You will be able to recognize as it has a * sorta like a footnote.

Scrounger
04-18-2005, 11:16 PM
I think I found a most simple fix for the RCBS Rockchucker not catching primers. The slot where an auto primer feed is installed which is not used by most,will be used for this. About 4 inches or so below that slot is another slot of the same thickness. Using my table saw I cut a strip of wood about 1/2" wide and the thickness of the slot. It is long enough to be flush with the top of the upper slot and stick into the lower slot a short distance. There are already set screws there to attach the primer feed block. When you put it in place dont go to the front edge of the upper slot---it will be in way when installing shell holders. You do want the bottom end to be all the way in,or it will create an unwanted pocket for the primers to fall into. So the stick will be installed on an angle---wider at top than bottom. It seems to work as a baffle and the primers don't go into the catcher but stay on the area around it-----which beats on the floor. As Floodgate mentioned,just rake them into the tray with your finger. For those without a table saw,You could possibly use a popsicle stick--- maybe even two popsicle sticks???????? I think they would be long enough and even if they are not as thick as the slot--no problem the set scres will hold it in. Would take a little cutting,but a paint stir stick should work too. BTW,how do people get by without a table saw? I know Buckshot would mill,lathe,drill press,hose clamp and duct tape a fancier rig,but I don't think metal would give as much cushioning baffle effect. Oh--the hose clamps would be stainless steel ofcourse. I did try 6 or 8 .243 cases and it worked 100% on that small batch. *edited for Buckshop to clarify it was wood cut on table saw(about 1/2"X 5" and maybe 1/4"thick. No metal parts were cut on table saw.

Ray sent me a picture of his gadget to post:
http://photos.gunloads.com/images/Scrounger/rcbs1.jpg

Swagerman
04-19-2005, 12:40 AM
Man o man, is that one of those Maximum Supremes Colossal presses, check out the metal primer tray...pre plastic era for sure.

Kind of looks like a door stop for a dirty cow barn. [smilie=l:

But quite a find if I do say so.

Swagerman

Scrounger
04-19-2005, 12:52 AM
Man o man, is that one of those Maximum Supremes Colossal presses, check out the metal primer tray...pre plastic era for sure.

Kind of looks like a door stop for a dirty cow barn. [smilie=l:

But quite a find if I do say so.

Swagerman

More respect, Sir. That press has accounted for more cats than most of us have ever seen....

carpetman
04-19-2005, 02:29 AM
Swagerman---That press is a 1967 model I bought new back then. You are correct,it needs cleaning. I do that maybe every ten years or so. I hadn't noticed how bad it was looking until I took the pic. Year or so ago when I was doing my add on to my house,my reloading room got rained on a few times while waiting on the roof job. Since I've had that press,I did acquire two others that were newer but I gave or traded them away. Dont know if you can see it,but the primer tray is held on by thong leather--a modification I did as the rubber bands that the factory provided seemed to slip off fairly often.

MARCORVET
04-19-2005, 03:48 AM
Swagerman---That press is a 1967 model I bought new back then. You are correct,it needs cleaning. I do that maybe every ten years or so. I hadn't noticed how bad it was looking until I took the pic. Year or so ago when I was doing my add on to my house,my reloading room got rained on a few times while waiting on the roof job. Since I've had that press,I did acquire two others that were newer but I gave or traded them away. Dont know if you can see it,but the primer tray is held on by thong leather--a modification I did as the rubber bands that the factory provided seemed to slip off fairly often.

Hey, I thought all RCBS presses had the primer catcher held in place with leather straps! Got mine used and it came that way.

I don't know about cutting steel on a tablesaw, but I do use mine to coy aluminum stock to size.

MARCORVET
04-19-2005, 03:50 AM
that was supposed to read " to cut aluminum stock" fingers got ahead of the brain on the last one.

StarMetal
04-19-2005, 11:03 AM
My press has the black plastic primer catcher that is held on with that little plastic arm. My problem is probably like Waksupi's in that the primer pile up right in front of the slot in the ram, but on the cast part of the press. I just push them off into the tray. I don't have any that fall onto the floor after being pushed out of the case, but if they stay in that slot on the down stroke they then fall out the bottom of the press. Actually what really gets the press dirty is the residue from the primer mix. One should clean it off the ram occassionally and lightly oil it.

Scrounger..I started killing cats back in 63. Not that I want the title King Cat Killer, but carpetman isn't the only one to kill alot of cats. Maybe me and carpetman should go to wisconsin for a big little cat hunt !!!!! "That's Joe Mundy outta TN way, he kills cats and kittens". "That's right, I kill cats and kittens, I've killed just about everykind of cat that walked or crawled one time or another and I'm here to kill your cat now Little Bill". "Ok men, he only has one shot left in that scattergun, so shoot him down for the mangy cat killer he is" "Click!!!!" "HANGFIRE, LET HIM HAVE IT!!!!" BOOM !! BOOM !! BOOM!! BOOM !! BOOM !! "Wow, you just killed five armed cats!" "I've always been lucky when it come to killen cats"

Joe

Scrounger
04-19-2005, 11:54 AM
My press has the black plastic primer catcher that is held on with that little plastic arm. My problem is probably like Waksupi's in that the primer pile up right in front of the slot in the ram, but on the cast part of the press. I just push them off into the tray. I don't have any that fall onto the floor after being pushed out of the case, but if they stay in that slot on the down stroke they then fall out the bottom of the press. Actually what really gets the press dirty is the residue from the primer mix. One should clean it off the ram occassionally and lightly oil it.

Scrounger..I started killing cats back in 63. Not that I want the title King Cat Killer, but carpetman isn't the only one to kill alot of cats. Maybe me and carpetman should go to wisconsin for a big little cat hunt !!!!! "That's Joe Mundy outta TN way, he kills cats and kittens". "That's right, I kill cats and kittens, I've killed just about everykind of cat that walked or crawled one time or another and I'm here to kill your cat now Little Bill". "Ok men, he only has one shot left in that scattergun, so shoot him down for the mangy cat killer he is" "Click!!!!" "HANGFIRE, LET HIM HAVE IT!!!!" BOOM !! BOOM !! BOOM!! BOOM !! BOOM !! "Wow, you just killed five armed cats!" "I've always been lucky when it come to killen cats"

Joe

I've always thought you and CarpetMan had a lot in common...

StarMetal
04-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Art,

You know, I do believe you are right Sir. We're about the same age, both like hunting, fishing, and guns..and both were in the military. If I couldn't have gone to the Navy I would have joined the Air Force.

Oh almost forgot, we both have a dislike for cats that aren't kept at home as pets instead of let go to roam free.

Joe