PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use the Uberti single actions?

vanilla_gorilla
08-20-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm interested in the Uberti guns, either an 1873 "Peacemaker" or (preferred) and 1875.

Ideally, I'd like to see one of each in .357 (since I'm already moulding and loading .357), but it looks like .45 Colt will probably be the way to go. Are these revolvers sturdily built? I'd at least want to replicate the original .45 Colt capabilities.

Harry O
08-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Depends on how much you intend to use them. They will not take loads as high as Rugers will (at least the old frame size). If you use them for CAS shooting, you will probably have to replace some of the springs and perhaps the center cylinder pin.

On mine, the trigger return/ hand bolt spring broke fairly quickly. This is reportedly fairly common with "real" Colts, too. Replaced it with a coil spring. The hammer mainspring did not break, but it was fairly stiff. The replacement does what it is supposed to do (whack the primer) and is not so stiff that accuracy suffers. When I was trying to see how high I could go, I had a problem with the cylinder pin jumping out.

After making the changes, I have not had any problems and I have put about 4,000-5,000 CAS loads through it so far and there is nothing that looks like it will need a replacement soon.

Dale53
08-22-2009, 03:43 PM
I have a Cimarron 1873 Colt replica. They are in the same strength category as the original.

Mine came with a near perfect trigger and is timed correctly. The finish is superb (great color case and fine bluing). The first week I had it, the trigger return/hand bolt spring broke. I sent it back and it was repaired quickly and back in my hands in two weeks (coming and going) under warranty. The main spring was heavy enough for a Ford Three Quarter ton truck. I replaced it with an after market spring.

The sights are a good copy of the Generation I Colt's - that is to say, "v" notch rear and a thin front sight. Really not very good for shooting (but, a good copy of the originals).

Point of impact needs regulating (often like old and new Colts and Rugers, etc). It shoots extremely well - under a 1.5" at 25 yards. This is made much easier by the great trigger (are you listening, Ruger?:().

If I were shooting this a lot (which I am not) I would definitely improve the sights and replace the original hand spring with a coil spring.

Dale53

August
08-22-2009, 08:31 PM
u.s.f.a.

Gee_Wizz01
08-22-2009, 08:47 PM
I have a Uberti 1873 Cattleman case hardened frame with brass trigger guard. I absolutely love the pistol. It is extremely accurate and a pleasure to shoot. Out of the box it had a very heavy trigger pull and heavy main spring, so I purchased a Wolffe spring kit and it made all the difference. The trigger pull is about 1 1/2 lbs and breaks clean as a glass tooth pick. The sights were very well regulated and gun has a very nice finish. I normally shoot the Lee 452-250 RNFP sized .452 over 6 gr of Red Dot or the 200 gr RNFP over Trail Boss. Both loads shoot to point of aim and the 255 gr load puts all 6 rds in a hole the size of a quarter at 15 yds. The cylinder throats and the forcing cone are perfectly matched and the pistol does not lead using 50/50 Alox. I don't shoot hot loads in it and generally just use the standard loads for Colt pistols. I have a Ruger BH for hot loads. Several friends have shot the Uberti and now they are all thinking about buying one for themselves.

G

Trey45
08-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Uberti must have come a long way from where they were years ago. The last I heard about them was all negative, but this was maybe 15 or 20 years ago.

jh45gun
08-23-2009, 12:22 AM
I have a Uberti Cattleman imported by Taylors and Co accurate and a heck of a lot better trigger than a Ruger. I have not had any issues with springs but I suspect that Taylors either request or puts better springs in them.

jh45gun
08-23-2009, 12:23 AM
Uberti must have come a long way from where they were years ago. The last I heard about them was all negative, but this was maybe 15 or 20 years ago.

Yea and Ruger has gone backwards from what they were. Which is why I bought a Uberti instead of a Ruger!

Gee_Wizz01
08-23-2009, 12:40 AM
The first Uberti I shot was nothing like my latest one. The first one I ever handled was rough with a lot of machining marks, and the action had that gritty feel. It was not well fitted and the loading gate didn't work! My latest is well made and accurate and the only thing I have done, is give it a new set of wolfe springs.

G

jh45gun
08-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Yea the one I have is very nice in the fit and finish dept and a great trigger.

LouisianaMan
08-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Had a .45LC Cattleman and still have Uberti Birdshead Cattleman .45LC and Cimarron Lightning .38SPL. Love them all. Had to replace trigger/bolt spring in Lightning quickly, but replacement has lasted since then. All triggers fine, all guns look great. Wouldn't use them for Ruger loads, as others mention, but anything in original Colt power category should be fine.

Frank V
08-23-2009, 06:50 PM
The Cimarron by Uberti is a very good single action, it's accurate, authentic, & affordable.
Frank

Trey45
08-23-2009, 07:01 PM
All this high praise for Uberti has me seriously rethinking my next single action purchase. I have an affinity for birdshead revolvers and Uberti is now on my consideration list :) I've been looking at this one http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=137881714 They really do have some beautiful case coloring and stocks.

willyboy
08-23-2009, 07:01 PM
I have two of the 1875 Remmies,and man are they smooooth!

Heavy lead
08-23-2009, 07:03 PM
I've got a Schofield Number 3 Uberti replica and it is very nice indeed. I would like a Bisley model next. Or maybe one of there small frame .38's with adjustable sights.

willyboy
08-23-2009, 07:04 PM
oh!I also have a .357 ''Thunderer'' Bird's head revolver with the checkered Colt Lightening grip,and that is just the finest of my stable of SAA's.Cimmaron branded Uberti.Nice.

vanilla_gorilla
08-23-2009, 08:11 PM
I deally, I'd like an 1875 in .357 Magnum, but it looks like they don't make them, so it looks like it will be .45 Colt. More moulds, brass, and dies to buy... :roll:

76 WARLOCK
08-23-2009, 10:54 PM
Do not overlook the 44/40 cal I have 3 uberti 44/40s and I like them alot.

machinisttx
08-24-2009, 12:35 AM
My wife's stepmother has one in .45 Colt, but I don't remember the exact model. She used to do the quickdraw contests and roughed up the action. Stills shoots pretty well, but needs a tune up.

Calamity Jake
08-24-2009, 12:05 PM
I deally, I'd like an 1875 in .357 Magnum, but it looks like they don't make them, so it looks like it will be .45 Colt. More moulds, brass, and dies to buy... :roll:

Look Here http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,467.html for the Uberti Outlaw .357 and all the other Uberti made firearms.

I have 11 Uberti wheel guns from 38sp Lightening to 45C Thunderer, cattelman and 1875 and love em all.

Harry O
08-24-2009, 01:28 PM
I forgot about the sights. Dale53 is right: "The sights are a good copy of the Generation I Colt's - that is to say, "v" notch rear and a thin front sight. Really not very good for shooting (but, a good copy of the originals)."

That was not a serious problem, though. After shooting it a while, I set about regulating the sights. Took a small square file to the rear. I had to offset it to the right, but it is large and square, right now. Also had to reduce the height of the front sight a little bit. Now, the sights are regulated and easy to see.

Limey
08-24-2009, 03:30 PM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/lambris/P1020117.jpg

I bought this Uberti 1873, 38/357, four and threequarter inch barrel, steel backstrap model earlier this year, it's the standard base grade model.....'cus that's what matched my budget.....it was half the price of a genuine Colt and two thirds of the price of a Ruger

Really pleased with the fit, finish and performance.....never had an early Uberti but I do rate this gun........I got second place in a local CAS shoot straight out of the box a week after I bought it with no mods or changes made to it.

Safe shooting,

Limey

Trey45
08-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Limey you have a tremendous eye for photography! I collect knives and I'm a little curious about your folder in the picture. What kind of scales are on your Laguiole?

Kragshooter
08-24-2009, 11:25 PM
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq113/ftlupton/IMG_0651.jpg

This is my Cimaron in .45 and I really like it, smooth, great trigger. Having a little trouble with the base pin though. Mine has the knurled screw that contacts the base pin.Anybody have this model? New ones don't have it according to the pics I saw.When I got it you could tighten that screw and it would back the hammer off for a safety I suppose. Now won't do that, must be something I'm not seeing. Anyway, I love shootin this gun. 230gr on top of 7.5 grs Unique.

Calamity Jake
08-25-2009, 09:29 AM
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq113/ftlupton/IMG_0651.jpg

This is my Cimaron in .45 and I really like it, smooth, great trigger. Having a little trouble with the base pin though. Mine has the knurled screw that contacts the base pin.Anybody have this model? New ones don't have it according to the pics I saw.When I got it you could tighten that screw and it would back the hammer off for a safety I suppose. Now won't do that, must be something I'm not seeing. Anyway, I love shootin this gun. 230gr on top of 7.5 grs Unique.

There are 2 grooves on the base pin, the one closest to knurled end is for hammer block safty, the second is for shooting.
Loosen the screw, pull base pin until 1/3 of the first groove is showing in front of the frame then tighten the screw, your ready to shoot.
To keep the screw from backing out, clean all oil from screw and threaded hole then apply a small amount of Loctite 222 to screw and reinstall, with 222 the screw is easyle removed but will not backout when the gun is fired.

The Uberties are famous for the screws backing out during use so the 222 is a good fix.

Limey
08-25-2009, 01:03 PM
...Trev45,

.....you know your knives , it is a geniune Lagiole and the wood is Juniper....the knife was a 20th wedding aniversary present from Mrs. Limey.

.....and,

....Kragshooter,

....if you grind off about 3mm (about an eighth of an inch in old money) and reprofile the barrel axis pin it will eliminate any problems. You will lose the hammer hold off safety but you will not lose any competitions because the gun will not fire!.....do not ask me how I know this!!!!!..........

....if you are going to carry any SAA loaded you leave a chamber empty and carry it with the hammer down on that.....you still have the half cocked notch as well as an additional safety.

Safe shooting,

Limey

Dale53
08-25-2009, 03:43 PM
>>>The Uberties are famous for the screws backing out during use so the 222 is a good fix.<<<

I would say that ALL single actions of my acquaintance share this "feature". In Elmer Keith's 1936 book, "Sixgun Cartridges & Loads" he mentioned that and suggested a drop of shellac on each screw. I used that before Loc-Tite was invented. In many situations, shellac is superior. It absolutely STOPS screw loosening and it is NEVER hard to remove a shellac'ed screw - that is something that cannot be said for loc-tite. Don't misunderstand, the proper grade of loc-tite, properly used works well. But the old timers remedy also works well, even today.

FWIW

Dale53

Kragshooter
08-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks Calamity Jake, just got back on line and will do what you say. I really like this handgun, want another with longer barrel now for a good pair.

Kragshooter
08-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Limey, sorry, didn't read your post until I posted the above. Appreciate your ideas too,might try this one too if the first doesn''t do the trick. Best to ya!

Limey
09-06-2009, 10:38 AM
I took my Uberti Cattleman in .38/.357 with the four and three quater inch barrel to the range yesterday....I'm trying to get the sight pictures locked into my head for competitions at various ranges....

...here's the target from 25 metres...that's 27 yards in old money! ......

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/lambris/P1020406.jpg

....'cor blimey!....I was really impressed what that gun can do!.......the black is 8 inches in diameter and I have marked up my aiming point in red to show that the gun is shooting 4 inches to the right......there was no wind at all at the range.......I was shooting off of a sandbag to eliminate, well, at least minimise my wobble error!

and here's what the sights look like.......

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/lambris/P1020407.jpg

...so considering how basic the sights are on this gun......you really have to concentrate hard to get a good sight picture.......it was a real strain on my eyes......

I have since ''tweaked'' the front sight over half a gnats whisker so I need to go back to the range to check it out again.....hey!...it's a tough job but somebody has to do it!

....but it does show that these Uberti's can shoot.

Safe shooting,

Limey

Dale53
09-06-2009, 10:51 AM
I have a .44 Special Cimarron with 4 3/4" barrel. It shoots good enough to be a match gun. It came with a DYNAMITE trigger. The sights, well, it has sights, after a fashion (just like yours). Mine shoots left. Elevation is easily solvable, in my case. However, the windage probably requires turning the barrel.

There is another possibility. Maybe I can open up the rear sight "v", squaring it in the process and moving the impact to the proper location. Thinkin-n-n...

Dale53

Limey
09-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Hi Dale53,

....to adjust the windage on mine.....I clamped the gun up in a vice on the bottom part of the frame...above the trigger and below the cylinder....using wood to stop the gun getting marred up.

Then I used electrical insulating tape on the front sight blade and then used an adjustable spanner to tightly grip the sight and then bend it ever so slightly ..........the sight metal is soft so it bent easily......I'm talking maybe 20 thousands of an inch bend by the way.......

.....I guess if you are rough on your gun, or maybe you dropped it, you could easily bend the front sight blade out of position. so keep an eye on that all you CAS shooters.......

I did this as I reasoned....''back in the day, what would a cow poke do if his gun was shooting off a tad?''.......well, being of a practical mind he'd tweak the front sight so that's just what I did.......I do not want to change the sights as they are period correct and I shoot period guns to savour that period experience.......(or is that frustration?)......whatever.....shooting old time guns gives me far more satisfaction than any of the modern stuff.......

Safe shooting,

Limey

Dale53
09-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Limey;
I am reluctant to do that as I have heard of more than one who had the front sight break off when he tried to bend it. I certainly don't want to do that.

Thanks for the suggestion, tho'.

Dale53

Trifocals
09-06-2009, 04:39 PM
I have a Uberti/Cabelas, 4 3/4", matt finish, brass grip frame, in .45 Colt. All the critical dimensions are very good except the forcing cone which is a bit large. Despite that, it's a very good shooter. I tweaked the trigger/bolt spring a bit and it now has a very nice trigger pull. I used it in a BP match 5 yrs ago and walked away with a 3rd place, out X'd by 1X for a 2nd place tie. It is a keeper and most certainly a whole lot better than the Ruger Vaquero that I recently traded for a USFA Rodeo. IMHO Uberti is producing very good products.

NickSS
09-07-2009, 06:34 AM
I have several Uberti 1873 revolvers including a cap and ball 44 one. I have a pair of 357s and a pair of 45 colts too. They all are accurate and work well. I have done nothing to any except fix the sights on two that shot to one side or another. Fixed them by bashing the front sight with a hammer. The only falt I have with them is that the front sight is skinny and hard to see. The accurately replicate the sights on the first gen colts though so are authentic.

Dale53
09-07-2009, 08:41 AM
As a comment -

Any company who decides to make a copy of a traditional revolver is kind of left with a dilemma - if they make it exactly like the original (including sights, in this case) it is more traditional. They get criticized for the tiny, hard to see, sights by serious shooters. If they put good sights on them, then they are not "traditional" and they get criticized by the "traditionalists". They really cannot win.

Even back in the 1920's, there was a cottage industry (probably quite small, but there nonetheless), that made a living improving the factory product. As a later example, the King Gun Sight Company who did a LOT of work on SAA Colts as well as others. Really excellent work that would rival most anything today. The original Pachmayr company did serious work along those lines too. There were many individual gunsmiths (Elmer Keith's writings specifically mentions them).

I guess, as shooters, we are never quite happy with factory offerings but need/want "something better". Today it's John Gallagher, Hamilton Bowen, John Linebaugh, etc - tomorrow it'll be someone else. I guess it's the "American Way" - someone will fill the "perceived need" if we are willing and able to pay for it.

There are also some GREAT factory offerings from Ruger (.44 Lipsey Special and the Anniversary Models as well as their standard line), Smith & Wesson (many wonderful revolver models like the 625's, 642's, as well as the special Performance Center revolvers). We are, in many respects, living in the Golden Age (especially, if they ever get this economy back on the right track).

FWIW
Dale53