PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Heavy Marlin Lever GC for 45-70

rvpilot76
04-05-2006, 01:32 AM
Here's what I'm thinking. A good, 450 grain boolit with a gas check based on Lee's 457-450. Shorten the nose to .500" or so, put the weight on the rear of the boolit. Enlarge the as-cast diameter to .460" with straight wheelweight. If the nose gets shortened to .450" then overall length, when seated to the crimp groove, will be in the 2.550" range; exactly factory max length. However, my Cowboy will allow a .500" nose, and dangit, the boolits just look meaner with more weight sticking out of the case. What do you guys think? Worthy of a group buy? It's all of your guys' fault, anyway; I just got in on the Fatter 30 group buy(my first mold-ever), and I've been bitten by the bug. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! :-D .
So, I figure, why fight it? Come to think of it, the boolit in our banner would look good with a gas check, too!

Kevin [smilie=w: :lovebooli

Buckshot
04-05-2006, 04:05 AM
..............The Lee 458-450F is one of the better heavy 45 rifle caliber bullet designs there is. Good weight, and a decent FN. Best fuel would probably be IMR3031 or a comparable ball.

................Buckshot