PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use 'stickies' to slug their barrels?

Fugowii
08-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Anyone ever use 'stickies' (soft stick-ons) to slug their barrels? :shock:

wallenba
08-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Have you done that? Or are you looking to find out if it's do-able? I might try it too if it works. For now I'll stick with Cerrosafe.

Fugowii
08-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Have you done that? Or are you looking to find out if it's do-able? I might try it too if it works. For now I'll stick with Cerrosafe.

Definitely looking to find out if it's do-able. I don't see why not, but I thought I
would ask first.

HammerMTB
08-18-2009, 07:41 PM
What is the product you're talking about? I'd like to find an easy/ready way to do that myself.

Fugowii
08-18-2009, 07:54 PM
What is the product you're talking about? I'd like to find an easy/ready way to do that myself.

Stick on wheel weights. They are almost pure lead and very soft. Otherwise the
process is no different.

Lutzy48
08-18-2009, 09:08 PM
I have some stick-on weights and they are very soft. I am sure they are pure lead. Pour an appropriately sized cylinder and give it a go. Just be sure the rod you use to drive the slug will not damage the barrel. I used a brass rod the lat time I did it.

HammerMTB
08-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Stick on wheel weights. They are almost pure lead and very soft. Otherwise the
process is no different.

Oh! Of course- I just wasn't thinking in that vein.
I will say that when I have had to pound out a stuck boolit (WW hardness) it was quite difficult. I've thought of this some, and think a hardwood dowel ight be my weapon of choice. Cut to slightly longer than the bbl, naturally.... :-D

snaggdit
08-18-2009, 11:45 PM
That is all I have ever used to slug my barrels. I cast a few with stickons and use the boolit to slug with. Cerrosafe is good to make chamber impressions. I keep a baggie with stickon boolits of all the calibers I cast for in case I need to slug a friend's gun who will be using my reloads. Hate to give them sometihing that will lead their barrel!

Uncle R.
08-19-2009, 12:13 AM
I use store-boughten round lead (swaged) balls that I keep for muzzle loaders.
(Yeah - I know that's sacrilege for a caster but I like having no sprue for my MLs - and the swaged balls shoot better than cast.)
I start with a ball that's way oversize - like maybe a .490 in a .30 caliber barrel - and I set it on the crown and drive it into the muzzle with a hard nylon faced hammer.
I know - it sounds brutal but neither the soft lead nor the nylon hammer will harm the barrel at all. The crown will shear off excess lead and that's OK.
Then I use sections of aluminum cleaning rod to push the slug through the barrel - paying attention to the required pressure to find any tight or loose spots in the bore.
It's easy to do - it ain't rocket science. Clean bore - lightly oiled - dead soft lead slug - aluminum cleaning rod sections screwed together as required as you move things down the barrel. No damage to bore - everything touching the barrel is much too soft to hurt the steel.
<
Uncle R.

geargnasher
08-19-2009, 12:35 AM
That is all I have ever used to slug my barrels. I cast a few with stickons and use the boolit to slug with. Cerrosafe is good to make chamber impressions. I keep a baggie with stickon boolits of all the calibers I cast for in case I need to slug a friend's gun who will be using my reloads. Hate to give them sometihing that will lead their barrel!

Same thing I do, or sometimes I use old sewer-pipe joints for casting bore slugs.

Also, use hardwood dowels cut to 6-8" lengths for long rifle barrels, keep pounding them flush and adding pieces.....

Beware the solid zinc stick-ons, rare but painful.

Gear

Jumping Frog
08-19-2009, 01:53 AM

...I start with a ball that's way oversize - like maybe a .490 in a .30 caliber barrel - and I set it on the crown and drive it into the muzzle with a hard nylon faced hammer.
I have some soft lead set aside from my dentist's office x-rays, and some from stick on wheel weights.

I simply cast a boolit for the caliber I am interested in, say .430. Set the bullet up on its base and give it a good smack with a hammer. That easily flatterns it out to .440/.450 (or more) depending on the strength of smack factor. It ain't rocket science, but it works.

snaggdit
08-19-2009, 02:05 AM
I've never been worried about having to be oversized when slugging. If I drop stickon boolits at say .451 then slug a 45ACP even if the grooves were .452 the results should show that. The lands need to displace some lead. Some displacement will result in the slug being slightly longer but some will squeeze into the grooves and fill them. Now if you were closer to bore diameter with the prospective slug I would begin to doubt the results.

Marlin Hunter
08-19-2009, 02:31 AM

I start with a ball that's way oversize - like maybe a .490 in a .30 caliber barrel - and I set it on the crown and drive it into the muzzle with a hard nylon faced hammer.

<
Uncle R.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!

Ive been trying to figure out an easy way to slug my bores and didn't feel like pouring pure lead slug for each caliber. I have several Muzzle Balls laying around I can use.

Obmi
08-19-2009, 11:09 AM
I use fishing weight (egg sinkers) or bullet weights 1/3 is about 30cal it also has a hole in the center. give the lead a place to go when being sized by my barrel.

DLCTEX
08-19-2009, 11:35 AM
My wife calls PostUm notes stickies, so my mind fell into that groove and I couldn't think what you could be asking about. Stick-ons, egg sinkers, round balls, or any other soft lead works. Don't forget to to clean the barrel and oil the bore.

wallenba
08-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!

Ive been trying to figure out an easy way to slug my bores and didn't feel like pouring pure lead slug for each caliber. I have several Muzzle Balls laying around I can use.
Ammosmith has a video here on doing it. It's a little long, but you will get the idea fast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR_WiL8Dkgw

Recluse
08-19-2009, 10:46 PM
My wife calls PostUm notes stickies, so my mind fell into that groove and I couldn't think what you could be asking about. .

Ditto.

I was trying to envision wadding up some of those little yellow 3M stickies into a tight ball, then using a dowel to run them down the bore. Guess I'm just too tired, [smilie=6: but was wondering if the little sticky gunk that keeps them on the fridge would keep them in a tight ball after they came out of the bore.

But was also guessing you'd have to mic them PDQ before they started expanding again.

:coffee:

Fugowii
08-20-2009, 09:58 AM
I was thinking I would just pound one of these things into a shape that would
be more compatible with pounding it into the barrel and go with that. I don't
have any mold to cast different size balls to do this with.

snaggdit
08-20-2009, 10:13 AM
You could always drill an approx. size hole in a board, place a few stickons in a ladle, heat with a propane torch and pour it into the hole. Split the board to get the chunk out and go from there.

bruce drake
08-28-2009, 10:17 AM
That's a pretty good idea for a slugging mold!

Lutzy48
08-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Did the drilled hole thing two days ago. We used to make sinkers this way when I was a kid. Drilled a hole in a board and drove in a small nail.

For the barrel slug I wanted to be a bit more accurate, so I blind drilled 1" diameter piece of aluminum on the lathe and bored the hole so it would cast a proper sized slug. Since lead shrinks so much when it cools, I didn't even need to smoke the mould. The "sticky-weights" are plenty soft to do the slugging. By my hardness tests, they are pure lead.