PDA

View Full Version : Vibra Prime.....

Bailey Boat
08-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Does anyone have a non-working unit that I could buy/beg/borrow or steal???? I have a working unit that Lloyd sent me but I would like to have a unit that I could do destructive investigation on..... Any help would be appreciated..... Thanks....

cajun shooter
08-18-2009, 07:10 PM
I love my $15 Vibra Prime. It's plastic Tupper Ware bowl on top of what looks like a shoe shine box. Mine is from the 70's and still doing it's job, don't know if you will find a broke one.

dromia
08-19-2009, 12:51 AM
I think he means the primer loading unit not the case cleaning one.

Bailey Boat
08-19-2009, 08:47 AM
I think he means the primer loading unit not the case cleaning one.

Correct...... I didn't even know there was a case cleaner called Vibra Prime????? Maybe I used the wrong name?????

dromia
08-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Naw your correct, I think he's talking about the Vibra Shine.

I've got one stashed somewhere, it is indeed a canny bit of kit and great value in its day.

Bailey Boat
08-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Naw your correct, I think he's talking about the Vibra Shine.

I've got one stashed somewhere, it is indeed a canny bit of kit and great value in its day.

If I could buy it I would be forever more grateful.......

dromia
08-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Its the Vibra Shine I have, your looking for the Vibra Prime. :-D

Or is it me thats confused now.

I put a wanted add in the swap and sell a while ago for working Vibra Prime and there was a list of second dibbers and proud owners telling me they wouldn't part with theirs for anything, thanks chaps. :-D

So I'm still looking for a working one. :castmine:

Bailey Boat
08-19-2009, 05:26 PM
That's what I'm attempting to MAKE, a substitute Vibra PRIME. I have a working unit loaned to me for inspection. What I need is a NON WORKING Vibra PRIME that I can take apart without worring about it ever working again......

I know there's a line of people wanting one and that's what I'm trying to accomplish....... Thanks....

dromia
08-19-2009, 05:35 PM
When you crack it I want to buy the first one. :mrgreen:

Why don't you try a post in the WTB forum, you might have more luck that me as you are wanting a broken one.

cajun shooter
08-19-2009, 06:21 PM
dromia, You are quite correct and I was wrong with my post. I didn't have my brain in gear and was thinking of the Vibra Shine unit that I purchased years ago that still works. Sorry about the mix -up there Bailey Boat.

jeff423
09-05-2009, 09:00 AM
This just speculation on my part, but I'm guessing that the Vibra-prime was discontinued due to product liability concerns. My guess is that they figured that having an open tray with 100 moving primers held in someone's hand represented more risk than their lawyer want them to have. There seemed to be a lot of people who said they were junk but I think quality could have been easily upgraded.

I've recently had a chance to use a Dillon RF 100 and was very impressed with it's quality and attention to detail. It actually flips and loads the primers into a tube. It is not designed to load multiple tubes. The idea is that you fill one tube and use it to fill the primer tube on your progressive press. Then you replace that tube in the RF-100, dump in another box of primers and start reloading. While you are reloading the RF-100 fills it's tube - it takes about 45 sec. Then just repeat that cycle for as long as you want.

Dillon must have been concerned about liability because the unit is built like a tank. It weighs about 25 lbs. The plastic cover above the primer flipping area is made of molded Lexan about 3/8" thick and is held on by 4 - 1/4" grade 8 bolts. I have a feeling this is what's needed to contain 100 exploding primers.

If you look on you-tube you can see videos about the Vibra-prime and Dillon units as well as a couple of people making their own imitation Vibra-primes.

Jeff

Russel Nash
09-05-2009, 12:10 PM
^^^ I don't think liability was the reason they quit making them.

I have a Lee hand priming tool. It starts out the same way with 100 primers under a clear plastic cover. RCBS makes the same kinda hand primer too.

I also have a Frankford Arsenal VibraPrime.

It kinda works okay. I forgot which primer it doesn't like. I only use Winchester primers, so it is either the large pistol or the small pistol that go in sideways into the tube and then jam it up.

Arrghh....

It is such an aggravation that I just went back to the Dillon primer flip tray and pecking at each individual primer with a pick up tube.

If you are thinking about reverse engineering one and going into production, well...take a number. You are not the only out there who thinks they are entrepeneurial enough with a "novel" idea to go about re-inventing them.

One guy is named Matt Cheely. He is a Grand Master classed shooter in USPSA and has quite the personality ...err... influence on the Brian Enos forums. He does gunsmithing too. His latest gadget is a sideways mount for C-mores on open guns.

A friend of mine was interviewed to be like the VP of the hunting division at Midway. The Midway folks treated him like crap during the interview, but that is another story for another thread at another time. Anywhooo...from what I gathered from him, I think, was that Dillon was the first one to get or to buy the patent for a primer tube filler. Midway came out with their VibraPrime, and I guess Dillon felt it infringed upon their patent, and I guess MidwayUSA and Dillon settled out of court. As part of the settlement, again, I am speculating here, is that Midway had to destroy the injection molding molds that were used originally for the VibraPrime. And IIRC, my friend said that the Midway rep he talked to said that they destroyed the blueprints also.

Well, hey, at least that's what I heard....

Bailey Boat
09-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Regardless of the foregoing posts I plan to proceed with a totally different design as soon as time allows. It has been put on a back burner for right now due to time constraints.....