PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg .50 barrel for 500

NuJudge
04-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Who has some experience with these? I bought one for a song. Searching the web found some short threads saying that sabot slugs work best.

Christopher Dingell

lefty_red
04-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Its got a 1 in 28" twist, or mine does. REAL bullets and other work OK with mine. But I don't try for a 100 yard shot either. I have used sabots with 44 cal bullets with good groupings.

I got mine for $40! Best two twenties I've ever spent.

Jerry

Old Ironsights
04-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Things I like and dislike about mine:

The Good: Accurate as all getout with a 360gr Pure Lead Minnieball. Go cast some, or buy them cheap from Blackjack Hill. the REALS shoot well, but not as well as the minnie IMEX. If you can shoot Slugs accurately, you can shoot Minnies accurately with this barrel, and, depending on your State, get an extra Season to boot.

The Bad: Messy and a pain to clean decently with that stupid fixed breech. It's not well sealed and blowby cakes up the action pretty fast - even using 777 - and I hate disassembling my action.

My TC Firestorm flinter is easier to clean - even when using real BP.

That said, I have heard that a good smith can bore out the breech, then tap it for a Traditions Pursuit BreakOpen 209 Breech Plug or similiar solid (no plastic thingy required) screw-in breech. I'm looking into having that done as well as having Robar NP3 coat it. Do that, and you can bore-snake it, making things 2000x easier.