PDA

View Full Version : 1909

giz189
04-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Just getting around to castibg the chamber of my 1909 mauser that has been rechambered to the .30-06. All checks out well except the bullet dimensions. My rifle has .312 plus just a touch. Seems to me, I ought to be able to slip one of those 312's in a .30-06 case and shoot. What do ya'll think?

StarMetal
04-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Take a 06 case that was fired in that rifle, or a sized one, flare out the case mouth alot so that when you chamber it the neck portion of the chamber will size the flare down. If you feel nothing the flare isn't big enough. Once you get one that works, measure the flare with your mike. That size minus double the neck wall thickness and then a tad more for shrink back space...will give you the biggest diameter bullet you can shoot in that rifle. You should get a measurement of the throat and see what's going on, as you should size to the throat more then to the groove diameter of the barrel. You may find that you can seat a pretty fat bullet. Just remember you need to have room for the neck to let go of the bullet or dangerous pressures can result. Military cases are usually thicker then commercial cases too.

Joe