PDA

View Full Version : 500 sw cast bullet options?

lamina1982
08-17-2009, 11:11 PM
I have an encore pistol in .500 s&w and use it for whitetails in NY. I have been shooting factory 440gr sjsp (magtech). Its pricey though. My gramps does all my reloading and finally got some dies for this. So I ordered some 535 gr kith style bullets from ranger rick and am awaiting their arrival.....Anyways what would you guys recomend as far as cast, and what mould would you recomend. i'd like a 400-500 gr and in Keith style. Its hard finding much info on this. Thanks

TDC
08-18-2009, 03:55 AM
If you're interested in casting your own you may be interested in this group purchase....

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=55121

It isn't in your preferred weight range but it is probably the most versatile .50 boolit ever conceived in one mold. It is a 378gr in it's hollow point form and a 400 gr in its reversible solid nose form. It is a gas check double cavity "Cramer" type mold that will have 3 included pins that will permit 3 different hollow point sizes, plus a solid nose.

The order page was just placed on the above thread 3 days ago and the group purchase may close to new orders very soon. It would be well worth your time to check this one out!! If this interests you there are two links to the order form on the thread. Hope you can join us.... :drinks:

Terry

500MAGdaddy
08-18-2009, 12:56 PM
I've used two different molds so far with my 500. The first being Lee's 440gr flat nose with micro-gooves for the lube. The second is a Lyman mold that casts a 375gr SWC that is alot like the Keith boolit. It has a large squared lube groove and a nice deep crimping groove too. The 440gr Lee I loaded on top of 21gr of LongShot and the 375gr Lyman over 19gr. Both of these boolits gave me 1/2 inch groups from a 4" S&W 500 at 25yds from the bench. I imagine that the velocity should be in the 1400-1600 range for you in the Encore.

Good luck,
Allen