PDA

View Full Version : Just curious, as I don't have a ball bearing handy.

qajaq59
08-17-2009, 02:54 PM
I've seen the test for BHN using a ball bearing, a vise, and the Lyman formula. However, I wonder if it has to be a ball bearing, or would anything round do? Such as the shaft of a Philips screw driver?

08-17-2009, 05:32 PM
A ball bearing is about as round as something can be made, and will leave a consistantly round, easily measured impression on both pieces of lead.

SierraWhiskeyMC
08-17-2009, 05:54 PM
A ball bearing is close to a perfect sphere, whereas a Phillips screwdriver shaft would be cylindrical in cross-section.

Pressing a sphere into a surface would depend upon the force applied, the hardness of the surface, and the radius of the sphere.

Pressing a cylinder into a surface would depend upon the force applied, the hardness of the surface, the radius and length of the cylinder. You've added a good bit more complexity; instead of being a single-point contact, now it's along a length, too.

qajaq59
08-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Ok, those both make sense. I'll go find a ball bearing.

HammerMTB
08-17-2009, 07:52 PM
There are quite a few places that sell ball bearings loose, and usually pretty cheap. If you want some samples tested, ping me a PM, I'll send you an address, and hardness test them for you.

qajaq59
08-18-2009, 07:51 AM
Thank for the offer HammerMTB, but I should learn how to do it. Nice of you to offer though. Qajaq

cajun shooter
08-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Go to a Stines Supply if you have them as they sell separate bearings. Or go to a mechanic shop and ask for a old bearing. I Think that Home Depot and Lowes both have them also. In the bolt and nut section in the slide out drawers

UweJ
08-18-2009, 01:09 PM
gajaq59
Try this link,itīll be of help.http://www.gordonengland.co.uk/hardness/brinell.htm
Uwe
P.S The steering column of bicycles have 5 mm ball bearings in them

Lutzy48
08-18-2009, 09:06 PM
The formula for Brinell harness is based on the area of the impression from a ball at a given force. The device that Lee Precision sells uses a 5/32" ball with a 60lb. force held for 30 seconds. The Lee reloading manual explains the process and has a chart comparing the diameter of the impression to the hardness. I recently made my own tester from items found in my scrap box. I calibrated the spring using an electronic fish scale. I tried the Lyman formula using a lead stick-on wheel weight and did not get as consistent a result as I did using Lee's chart.

94Doug
08-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Go to a motorcycle shop, the bearings in the steering are loose, and can be purchased as singles.....

montana_charlie
08-18-2009, 10:23 PM
I've seen the test for BHN using a ball bearing, a vise, and the Lyman formula. However, I wonder if it has to be a ball bearing, or would anything round do? Such as the shaft of a Philips screw driver?
If you want to use the Lyman formula, it has to be a sphere.
If you can get by with an impression in one alloy that varies relative to another alloy, a cylinder will work.

The formula gives you a Brinell number, while the screwdriver tells which alloy is softer, and by about how much.

CM

Mike W1
08-18-2009, 10:43 PM
BTW the bigger the ball bearing the better. When I acquired mine for that purpose years ago I asked a buddy where I could get one about 1" in diameter. Good old "drifty" reached into his pocket and handed me one! Seems as though he was into working on old steam engines at the time.

lylejb
08-18-2009, 10:51 PM
a 1/4" ball bearing cost me .25 at the Wilco farmer's co-op / true value hardware store:-D

qajaq59
08-19-2009, 04:35 PM
I tried Home Depot, Lowes, a motorcycle shop, and 2 hardware stores. I even looked at the sling shot ammo in Walmart thinking that might work. But, they aren't really round or smooth enough. Soooo, tomorrow I check at one of the local auto repair shops hoping for a scrap one.

Who would would have guessed it would be this hard to find a silly ball bearing? Luckily I'm in no hurry. :Fire:

SciFiJim
08-20-2009, 03:20 AM
I've been looking for one for a while as well. I can order it online but who wants a pack of 100 when all you need is one?

94Doug
08-20-2009, 04:08 AM
I have ties to a cycle shop. I'll see if I can check this out further. It's been a number of years since I was an active participant, so maybe things have changed.

qajaq59
08-20-2009, 06:07 AM
I can order it online but who wants a pack of 100 when all you need is one? That, plus by the time you paid shipping it would be cheaper to buy a real BHN tester. This could turn into quite a saga. ha ha

Willbird
08-20-2009, 12:32 PM
I tried Home Depot, Lowes, a motorcycle shop, and 2 hardware stores. I even looked at the sling shot ammo in Walmart thinking that might work. But, they aren't really round or smooth enough. Soooo, tomorrow I check at one of the local auto repair shops hoping for a scrap one.

Who would would have guessed it would be this hard to find a silly ball bearing? Luckily I'm in no hurry. :Fire:

Try a Bicycle shop, they use loose balls a lot.

Bill

montana_charlie
08-20-2009, 01:30 PM
In this part of Montana, there is a lot of work done on farm equipment, and there are some big bearings used in some of that. But, due to the continuing need, there are a number of stores around that specialize in 'bearings'. One is even named "Bearing Sales"

Look in your yellow pages under 'bearings' and see what pops up...you might be surprised.
CM

qajaq59
08-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Try a Bicycle shop, they use loose balls a lot. Thank Bill..... I found a bicycle shop in the next town over and called them. They do sell loose ball bearings. When the owner asked, how big do you need them to be?" I said the largest he had. His response was, " Hey, you're not a terrorist building a bomb are you?" I explained that no, I was going to use them to measure the hardness of some lead and I only needed a couple of them. :mrgreen: ROTFLMAO

Willbird
08-21-2009, 12:46 AM
Thank Bill..... I found a bicycle shop in the next town over and called them. They do sell loose ball bearings. When the owner asked, how big do you need them to be?" I said the largest he had. His response was, " Hey, you're not a terrorist building a bomb are you?" I explained that no, I was going to use them to measure the hardness of some lead and I only needed a couple of them. :mrgreen: ROTFLMAO

Not only do they have balls, they probably have several kinds of balls, the campagnolo balls are the best, but for the intended use you probably do not need Campy balls :-).

montana_charlie
08-21-2009, 12:03 PM
you probably do not need Campy balls
Yeah but, two weeks living in a tent will get you some, anyway.
CM

qajaq59
08-21-2009, 04:35 PM
OK, the chase is over. I got one from a local auto repair shop. The guy had it in his junk drawer.
It's roughly 3/4 inch. :bigsmyl2: